Combination Sleeping Pad System

WKR
So after my pad failure this weekend on a scouting trip (See other thread), I'm considering going to a pad combination system. A Thermarest Z-lite closed cell pad (14oz)on the bottom and a Klymit X-frame (9oz) or other ultralight type pad on top of it.

Total combined weight for the system, 23 oz, or 1 lb 7 oz.

Pro's:

Protection for the inflatable pad.
Can use the closed cell pad for sitting/glassing
Redundancy, never without a functioning pad
Improved r-value (I'm guessing on this one)
Good comfort when used together

Con's:

Space, the Z-lite is bulky.

My motivation for this is that I don't ever want to have to sleep on a lumpy granite bed again. Those two nights were miserable and really drained my energy and morale for scouting/hunting.

What am I not thinking of? Good idea? Bad idea?

I had never had a single problem with my inflatable pads that couldn't be easily fixed with a patch kit, until now. This has really shaken my confidence in the inflatable pads.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried a klymit jr (3/4) pad at 14oz on a cheap blue foam. I trimmed the foam down to 6oz. Comfort was nice, but definitely the folding z-rest over a roll up. Temperature didn't get below 40 until just before sunrise. I would be up by then anyway but 30-35 would be the lowest on my set up.
I'm 6'2" and don't care to have a full length pad(s). Pack under my feet, use my down vest for a pillow. I'm a side sleeper so I also trimmed the width of the foam pad so it's not sticking too far out if strapped to the bottom of my pack.

Still in the experimental stages myself but I see potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP

WKR
I think I'm going with the Z-lite sol (14oz) and the Klymit Ozone (12.2oz). The Klymit ozone has a built in pillow so I won't have to chase the damn thing around all night and the combined weight is 26 oz with redundancy, and a sitting pad option all built in. My only concern is the bulk of the Z lite on my MR Marshall pack but I can strap it to the outside easily on higher volume trips.

Have you thought of just tossing a light weight hammock in your pack as a back up to your pad. Less bulky and day time naps are amazing. Just an idea i had after reading your story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I think I'm going with the Z-lite sol (14oz) and the Klymit Ozone (12.2oz). The Klymit ozone has a built in pillow so I won't have to chase the damn thing around all night and the combined weight is 26 oz with redundancy, and a sitting pad option all built in. My only concern is the bulk of the Z lite on my MR Marshall pack but I can strap it to the outside easily on higher volume trips.

You can always cut the zlite in half too for warmer trips. Iv got a half and a full, depending on what I'm expecting. Im constantly using it as a seat. Makes an alright umbrella too. Or wrap up your spotting scope to protect it. Lots of uses

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used a dual system for most of the last few years for the same reason after a few failures of air pads

Mine is usually a prolite torso or small combined with either a EVA pad (lightest) zrest (mid weight ) or large ridgrest (comfy ) .

I also use the pads as sit pads often .

Recently I started sucking it up and using a full on pro lite for the last few trips without a backup ... at least if it fails it has some padding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk