Comfort Sheep Hunting Items

Dust1n

FNG
I know everyone likes to count oz/grams anywhere they can, especially for a mountain hunt where weight is crucial.

What are some items you are willing to take a weight penalty for comfort?

Inflatable Pillow vs Stuff Sack with Close?
Reading Book for days when you fogged in?
Extra Snacks apart from your meal plan?

Let’s hear what you guys bring! 🐏

joshgrigg

FNG
helinox chair zero with a ground cloth and an inflatable pillow added just over 1lb.
i traded the paperback book for a 20,000mah battery pack and downloaded books and some netflix series to my iphone. i binged watched narcos while stuck in the tent for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helinox chair zero with a ground cloth and an inflatable pillow added just over 1lb.
i traded the paperback book for a 20,000mah battery pack and downloaded books and some netflix series to my iphone. i binged watched narcos while stuck in the tent for 24 hours.

How are you keeping your phone charged that long?

22lr

WKR
25,000mah battery with a solar panel so can listen to podcasts or read a book on my phone. It's 19oz total but gives me tons of power and with 1 good sunny day I can get another full charge. But, when im not online/surfing (and in airplane mode) I find my S9 battery lasts forever when listening to a podcast/audio book.

joshgrigg

FNG
How are you keeping your phone charged that long?

i bough a new iphone XS right before the trip so i knew that battery health was good. i used airplane mode, dim screen and ear buds. i got through on and off watching of about 10 hours of video with about 1/3 of the phone battery left. i used that anker 20,000 mah battery back to recharge it after.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
i bough a new iphone XS right before the trip so i knew that battery health was good. i used airplane mode, dim screen and ear buds. i got through on and off watching of about 10 hours of video with about 1/3 of the phone battery left. i used that anker 20,000 mah battery back to recharge it after.

I also use a 20,000 mah battery pack. I can get about 10 days of use out of my phone, inreach and head lamp with that size battery.

SteveOtt

FNG
Dr. Parsley’s Sleep Remedy Drink. I never feel groggy even if I only sleep 4-5 hours, knocks me right out.

Black Rifle Instant coffee.

fatbacks

WKR
Extra gas for coffee... amazing how much a hot cup of coffee improves morale when you're cold, wet and tired.

Bomb proof heavy(ish) tent - Hille Nallo 3 - when on super remote trips. Makes a weather day a lot more tolerable. Heavy tent is worth it.

Solar panel/battery to charge iPhone - nice to have enough power to watch movies on down days or listen to podcasts at night.

Here is what I learned:
* Next time I am bringing extra high calorie food items. On my last sheep hunt I lost 18 pounds (this is after gorging on a large pizza and chips/salsa once back in Fairbanks). This was a sizable hit when you started the hunt at 160.
* It was nice having a bit roomier bag when hanging out. While a slimmer bag would have been more efficient, it also would have been more claustrophobic. Very thankful that I bought the WM Antelope and not the WM Apache.
* Next time I will bring extra butt wipes. It would have been nice to be able to take a "bath" more often. It also would have been nice to not have to ration what I brought.
* Next time I will bring one more extra pair of socks and boxers. Merino will stink after a period of time. You also cannot rely on washing and drying what you have (depending on the weather).
* An inflatable pillow was nice to have.

Here is what I learned:
* Next time I am bringing extra high calorie food items. On my last sheep hunt I lost 18 pounds (this is after gorging on a large pizza and chips/salsa once back in Fairbanks). This was a sizable hit when you started the hunt at 160.

Whoa, 18 lb. wt. loss!! I’m fat at 170 lbs. right now, and if I climbed 6000 feet every day and didn’t eat anything for 2 weeks, I don’t think I could lose that much weight....now that I think about it, maybe I should try it, God knows I sure could stand to lose 18 lbs.

Whoa, 18 lb. wt. loss!! I’m fat at 170 lbs. right now, and if I climbed 6000 feet every day and didn’t eat anything for 2 weeks, I don’t think I could lose that much weight....now that I think about it, maybe I should try it, God knows I sure could stand to lose 18 lbs.

It was a 14 day hunt that we had to grind through. Got a grizzly early and was the afternoon of the 13th day that we finally found and connected on a legal ram.

Don't get me wrong, we had food and ate every day. I just burned way more calories that I anticipated.

Jimbob

WKR
I have brought and left the helinox, I'm fine without it but enjoy it if it's there.

An inflatable pillow is a must from now on, just sooooo comfy.

Camp shoes for sure

Small tarp for shade and rain

On my last trip, a bad storm hit and I was praying to God my 1 lb tent would hold and I would have gladly carried the extra 5 or more lbs for a real mountain tent. Now that the tent held and everything was fine I don't feel the need. I could be convinced of carrying a heavier tent in the future though so it might make my luxury list.

leoni1

FNG
Hilleberg tent!

You sleep well knowing that your tent won’t fail. I use the Nallo.