Comfort Sheep Hunting Items

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sitting pad for when you are glassing and to use as a doormat at the tent. I use 1/2 a z-rest pad.

Some sort of back support chair like a sling chair for use with trekking poles, or a prop your pack up on the poles to use as a back rest.

If you use a Hilleberg bring a towel to wipe the inside with. You will likely get rained on from the condensation. They are wet tents and don't vent well. At least the Nallo and Akto I used were.

Jeremy

A basic sponge works for inside a hilleberg too. Easy to just squeeze it out when you’re done and weighs nothing when it dries.

Most of what everyone is saying are not comfort items.

my true comfort items are:
Book and booze

04e546dc429e04f1993a8362f3edf171.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Comfort item? I was going to say a wife or girlfriend but you would have to decide if worth the weight penalty :cool:

But for a real answer I recommend some variety of these. The flavor profile is different than the usual coffee, tea, energy mixes. It is more of a salty, umami nature

Attachments

• 7CE6559F-1181-4C79-A2DD-3F0499A6C54A.jpeg
    7CE6559F-1181-4C79-A2DD-3F0499A6C54A.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 59
A basic sponge works for inside a hilleberg too. Easy to just squeeze it out when you’re done and weighs nothing when it dries.
I use an 8" x 8" square of microfiber cloth. Wets immediately unlike a sponge, which has to already be wet. Wrongs out almost dry. Ultra-absorbant. Ultralight. Think ShamWow!

25,000mah battery with a solar panel so can listen to podcasts or read a book on my phone. It's 19oz total but gives me tons of power and with 1 good sunny day I can get another full charge. But, when im not online/surfing (and in airplane mode) I find my S9 battery lasts forever when listening to a podcast/audio book.
which battery do you run?

sektr

FNG
1. inflatable pillow
2. Long wide pad
3. Ground pad
4. Battery pack
5. Ultralight camp chair

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
It's only a couple ounces but definitely a comfort item if I'm going in deep: Darn Tough Hunter Over the Calf Heavyweight socks.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm stealing the eye patch idea! You'd think after 24 years behind a spotting scope as a game warden, someone among our ranks would have come up with that!

Pillow is no longer comfort item for me- it's a necessity :), typically a S2S Aeros, but sometimes a HMG pillow/stuff sack.

I found Crocks weigh a lot for what they are, if I bring camp shoes, I bring trail runners (that I put 100's of miles on)- great camp shoe, but can be used for wading if necessary and in a real pinch, I can hunt in them.

Book on iphone.

Instead of a 20,000 mAH Anker, I carry two 10,000 ones on long hunts, 20,000 weighs 13 oz, 10,000 weighs 6.4 oz- identical weight, this way just in case a charger were to awry. Most of my hunts are shorter than 10 days and the 10,000 is perfect for those.

a towel, not a tiny one- 18x42" and 1.7 oz- I can dry off after bathing, wipe the inside of a tent down, etc- it's S2S Airlite

small-ish, but not tiny (6x9') tarp to glass under and doubles as a bivy shelter

spotting scope :) my guide will have one, but the hunters I visited with said bring one of your own

I'm also bringing at least some of my own food- I've got suppers that work, taste good and are calorie rich (Peak Refuel) vs Mountain House, I also like my own breakfast and lunch stuff- so will bring some of that as well

PSH

FNG
Hilleberg tent, inflatable sea-to-summit pillow, sleep mask (if you can't sleep easy in daylight). Obviously good sleeping bag and inflatable pad. But one of the best "luxury" sleep items, is also the cheapest. After a recommendation from a friend, I started to bring a large empty wide mouth gatorade bottle. When its raining sideways or blowing snow in the middle of the night, its nice not to have to leave your tent to relieve yourself. You stay dry and warm, and get back to sleep quicker.

After a recommendation from a friend, I started to bring a large empty wide mouth gatorade bottle. When its raining sideways or blowing snow in the middle of the night, its nice not to have to leave your tent to relieve yourself. You stay dry and warm, and get back to sleep quicker.

Ha,ha, that’s another benefit of using a floorless shelter. That, and the fact that they weigh a fraction of what a Hille weighs, with more than twice the amount of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PSH
I use an 8" x 8" square of microfiber cloth. Wets immediately unlike a sponge, which has to already be wet. Wrongs out almost dry. Ultra-absorbant. Ultralight. Think ShamWow!
This is exactly what I was thinking when folks keep mentioning sponges. I usually use dude wipes when camping but I can see that over a longer trip it could be a big weight savings. Get a silver impregnated one and it would be antimicrobial. I wonder if you could get a dry soap or something to mix in as well... Hmm multipurpose

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Some form of reading material when you can not leave camp due to weather.
Satellite phone and spare battery

This is exactly what I was thinking when folks keep mentioning sponges. I usually use dude wipes when camping but I can see that over a longer trip it could be a big weight savings. Get a silver impregnated one and it would be antimicrobial. I wonder if you could get a dry soap or something to mix in as well... Hmm multipurpose
Personally I have no need for soap on a camp hunt. Certainly don't need it for the dishes.

After a recommendation from a friend, I started to bring a large empty wide mouth gatorade bottle. When its raining sideways or blowing snow in the middle of the night, its nice not to have to leave your tent to relieve yourself.
I do this also, but I wrap my pee bottle with a bit of tape and my drink nalgene is bare so I can identify them when it’s dark and I’m groggy. Don’t ask me to how and why I began this practice.