Comfortable EDC holster

NEhunter

WKR
Vedder light tuck or Milt Sparks VM2 have been my favorites so far. Have one of each for all my edc guns.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Versacarry options are my preference at the moment. Leather has been easier on my body than the Kydex options, for the most part. Part of my issue is that I am a big dude, which generally means a bigger pistol, which in turns means harder to conceal once hoody weather is gone.

JoeDirt

WKR
Black Arch Protos @ 4 o'clock and a Kore gun belt

Thats worked the best for me in all situations

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
So I've looked into most of the recommendations and am a fan of the leather backed Kydex IWB like Crossbreed.

I have tried a few Kydex options when I can in person. Looking at the available pictures of what guys have recommended I am seeing the same problem with all the holsters out there (problem for me).

They all put the gun way high above the waist band. I get it. You should be able to grab the handle of your pistol when you need to draw it, but I'm a carpenter. I am bending at the waist all day and won't tolerate being stabbed in the stomach all day long by my gun.

I'm currently carrying in a "Sticky Holster" and the gun rides with the bottom of the grip / magazine sticking just about my belt line.

Does anyone know of a holster that is specifically made to ride lower on the belt line? I've googled but not come up with much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4and1

FNG
I'm not fond of waist holsters. And I usually tuck my shirts in. So except for the real hot summertime, I use a Galco shoulder rig for my Glock 36, and I have a double mag pouch for the other side to balance the weight. I put a tee shirt on, then the holster then a shirt over it. I still tuck in my shirt, and I can access it by unbuttoning one hole. I can also use this when it gets fairly hot, tee shirt, holster and a light short sleeved shirt open.

When that isn't appropriate, I wear either short or long cargo pants, with a Ruger LCP II 380 in the side leg pocket.

If you are bendiNg at the waist all day AIWB would suck IMO. Problem is, small of the back or 4-5 o’clock is going to get exposed a lot when your shirt rides up Or print through your shirt when it doesn’t ride up.

I have a friend that is a handy man. He front pocket carries a kahr 9mm. If he belt carries, he does it butt forward on his strong side (google cavalry draw and don’t shoot yourself in the gut) or weak side with a cross draw (no good if you are fat). Butt forward is a bit old scho but because the grip is already pointing forward, it aligns with you when you bend.

also, look into some holsters with j hooks. I have a Jm custom kydex holster for my P365 that lets me set the depth of carry relative to my waistband and also let’s me tuck a shirt over the gun while the holster is attached to my belt.

I'm not sure which is bigger, the box of gloves that I don't like or the box of holsters that didn't work out. I settled on a Raven Concealment Vanguard with soft loops for semiauto AIW and a self made kydex with Ulticlip for a J frame. The Vanguard was the best balance of compromises for me and it gets used daily for 90% of my needs. To make it more comfortable while bending at the waist, I removed some unnecessary plastic and sanded off some sharp corners that created hotspots. Been running that style holster since they were released.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I'm not sure which is bigger, the box of gloves that I don't like or the box of holsters that didn't work out. I settled on a Raven Concealment Vanguard with soft loops for semiauto AIW and a self made kydex with Ulticlip for a J frame. The Vanguard was the best balance of compromises for me and it gets used daily for 90% of my needs. To make it more comfortable while bending at the waist, I removed some unnecessary plastic and sanded off some sharp corners that created hotspots. Been running that style holster since they were released.
Which Vanguard? I need a good EDC holster and looking at everything to find the right one.

Thanks,

Eddie

Tons of variables go into what would end up being the most comfortable, functional and safe option for you and your EDC. That said, I typically find myself carrying AIWB with a ANR Design holster.

robtattoo

WKR

Seems like it works for underweight guys too....
I'm still waiting on mine, but thinking logically, it just seems like a lower carry in the ummmmm..... intimates would be better than a high carry position. Sitting wise.

Whisky

WKR

Seems like it works for underweight guys too....
I'm still waiting on mine, but thinking logically, it just seems like a lower carry in the ummmmm..... intimates would be better than a high carry position. Sitting wise.

Did you ever get the JX Fat Guy? Thoughts?

bat-cave

WKR
I would strongly suggest you look at a Tier1 Concealment holster for Appendix carry. Far and away the most comfortable that I have tried and I sadly have a box of holsters that I have tried and then tossed into the box. For strong side the Milt Sparks holsters are amazing. I don't know what it is, but the most comfortable that I have tried.

Whisky

WKR
I did & it's unbelievably comfortable. Excellent concealment, great retention & very comfy. I had to teach myself how to draw differently, but that's the only minor negative.

Another question, how does it do when you are bending over while standing (assuming appendix carry)?
Also, you mostly position it in the appendix, and/or have you tried a 3 o'clock position with it?

robtattoo

WKR
Seeing as I'm only carrying a tiny little P365, it's really not a problem. The muzzle does dig in a little, but the entire holster seems to rotate with my upper body when I bend, rather than staying aligned with my hips & digging the grip into my gut.
I can sit at my desk & drive while carrying quite confidant with just a little adjustment.

RayG

FNG
Depends on yoursize, body shape, what you intend to carry, and how deep concealment you need. A pistol the size of a Hellcat should not be a problem to conceal. Just have to balance comfort and concealability with ease of access and how quick you can present your weapon. Case in point - pocket holsters are great but try pulling your gun out whike sitting in your car. Or when you are crouched behind cover..Or when someone is sitting on your stomach pummeling your head.
Whatever you decide on, make sure you train that way and see if it actually works for you. Do a class shooting a tiny hellcat from deep concealment and you will quickly figure things out.
When i strap in every morning, i carry the gun i would choose if i knew i would be in a gunfight that day. Like Mas Ayoob says, “carrying a gun is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.”

I carry every day including riding a bike. I just use sticky holster. Works even with athletic shorts also.

I don't carry a full frame though. P365

robtattoo

WKR
Another question, how does it do when you are bending over while standing (assuming appendix carry)?
Also, you mostly position it in the appendix, and/or have you tried a 3 o'clock position with it?

So, I tried the FG holster at 3 o'clock position today. Very comfortable & for slimmer body types (I'm built like the Michelin man f#@$ed the Pillsbury dough boy...) I would imagine, super concealable. But, riding as low as it does, I think (at least from my attempts) that a draw would be difficult. It really only suits an appendix carry.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord