Committing to Alpha Glass

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve come to the point where I’ve saved enough money to invest in some nice binoculars, and I’m currently leaning towards the Swarovski NL 10x42. The problem I’m having is committing to the purchase. I’ve spent the last month going to Sportsman’s Warehouse and comparing the glass outside with other binoculars and can truly say the NL’s stand on their own. But now that I’ve made up my mind, I’m having this dilemma of actually purchasing them. I keep thinking, are the new Mavens good enough? Probably. Will I enjoy using the NL’s more? Yes. $1800 more?

For those of you who finally committed to alpha glass, was it worth it to you in the long run? I know that Swaro glass is more of an investment than an expense, as I can turn around and sell for almost what I bought them for, and I also don’t want to go up the ladder of buying mid grade binos, only in a few years buying alpha, and in the long run having spent more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can make this harder for you. I was ready to pull the trigger on the NLs when the new Maven B1.2 10x42 dropped. I figured I'd buy the mavens, play with them, and just return them and get the NLs if I didn't like them. I'm keeping the Mavens and putting the extra $1.8k into hunts and other gear. At the end of the day the Mavens do what I need and they do it well. Would I be happier with the NLs? Maybe. But I know I personally wouldn't be happier than having the Mavens and $1,800 of other gear/trips/etc.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
I ran Maven's for years (B2, B4, B5) with lots of success and ran them side by side with EL's, Victory RFs, and NL's over the last 6 months. Yes, the alpha ($$) had improvements but I would not feel handicapped with Maven's one bit. Their new B1.2 and B6 binos are even more appealing.

There is not a wrong choice since you are only trading small performance for $$. It is fun to nitpick and define the "best"...at the end of the day if you have the money, spend it. If you don't, run the mid-tier and go find animals.

Like you said, moving up through mid grade glass will only cost more long term. Many people will be absolutely satisfied with mid grade glass for the life of their outdoor career though.
If you want to go to Alpha glass, dive in and go for it.
I went through half a dozen pairs of bino’s, slowly working up. I didn’t lose much money doing this though, as I bought for good prices, used. Doing this did allow me to figure out exactly what I was looking for in an alpha bino.
Now that I have NL’s, 10x32, I cannot imagine using anything else. Completely worth it, if you value excellence.

JGRaider

WKR
There are a lot of high quality binocs that will allow you to see everything you can possibly see through a Swaro NL, including SLC, Meostar HD, Maven B1, Conquest HD, Tract Toric, Nikon MHG, and probably a few others. They won't do it quite as nicely as the NL's, but make no mistake they will do it, and do it well. I love Swaro's, but can't justify $2500 for binoculars when these others will do the job with flying colors. YMMV.

I've been using the Nikon MHG 10x42's in combination with an alpha spotter (Kowa 77) for three years in all conditions: tree stands for whitetail, on a tripod for mule deer above tree line, rifle elk hunting, waterfowl, you name it. Can I imagine better glass? Sure. Would I find more animals with better binos? My answer is no... with a caveat. I'd prefer a different magnification for tree stand hunting. 7 or 8x42, specifically. The light gathering of the Nikons is great in the open, but it's a little lacking under heavy trees.

Alpha glass is probably a bit better, and the NL's by all accounts are mind blowing... but $1800 dollars is a new bow, a dozen arrows, and high end broadheads. Or a MT tag, and gas money to get there.

But, I've never sat behind alpha glass in the field. If it turned up an extra buck or two every trip... well that would probably be worth the jump.

I’ve come to the point where I’ve saved enough money to invest in some nice binoculars, and I’m currently leaning towards the Swarovski NL 10x42. The problem I’m having is committing to the purchase. I’ve spent the last month going to Sportsman’s Warehouse and comparing the glass outside with other binoculars and can truly say the NL’s stand on their own. But now that I’ve made up my mind, I’m having this dilemma of actually purchasing them. I keep thinking, are the new Mavens good enough? Probably. Will I enjoy using the NL’s more? Yes. $1800 more?

For those of you who finally committed to alpha glass, was it worth it to you in the long run? I know that Swaro glass is more of an investment than an expense, as I can turn around and sell for almost what I bought them for, and I also don’t want to go up the ladder of buying mid grade binos, only in a few years buying alpha, and in the long run having spent more.

My answer is no. It wasn't worth it to me. I owned two pairs of mint SLC's a few years ago, about a year apart. I compared them side-by-side in real hunting situations with several other pairs of bins I owned at the time. I decided they did nothing for me that my Zeiss Conquest HD's didn't already do, so I sold them. I actually did this twice because after listening to all the fanfare here, I second-guessed my decision. Same result the second time around.

There is a point of diminishing returns with optics. Everyone needs to figure out where that point is for them. Very few, if any, hunters actually need alpha glass. Want it? Sure. Need it? Nope. Not when the $1k range of glass is so damn good these days.

It's a decision we can only make for ourselves. Personally, I'm glad I owned two pairs of SLC's, otherwise I'd probably still be wondering what I'm missing.

Like you said, moving up through mid grade glass will only cost more long term. Many people will be absolutely satisfied with mid grade glass for the life of their outdoor career though.
If you want to go to Alpha glass, dive in and go for it.
I went through half a dozen pairs of bino’s, slowly working up. I didn’t lose much money doing this though, as I bought for good prices, used. Doing this did allow me to figure out exactly what I was looking for in an alpha bino.
Now that I have NL’s, 10x32, I cannot imagine using anything else. Completely worth it, if you value excellence.

I think this is an important comment.

Some people feel that nothing less than "excellence" will do for them. That's why we have Jaguars and other high-end vehicles on the road I guess. But when a Chevy Suburban will perform the same job and you still choose the Jaguar, then that's just an individual choice. It's not a necessity.

If you have not already done so, identify your requirements for this optics purchase. Look at things such as how much you will use your binoculars, where you will use your binoculars, and how you will use your binoculars. Then go find products that meet those requirements and go from there.

Sometimes "good enough" is all you need. Sometimes "top shelf" is required.

crich

WKR
I dont think you can be handicapped at all on a hunt with some of the upper-mid grade optics. It comes down to what you're comfortable spending.

Im the opposite of most people probably I bought high end glass and constantly sought to prove to myself how awesome they we're and justify the price... so I sold them for a refurb pair of Nikon MHG's and haven't looked back. Not once have I sat there and tried to pick them apart to justify spending another 1800 bucks. If I have to consciously look to find the difference between the two its not worth it to me. But then again some guys are ok with a lariat ultimate package and others want those massaging seats so they get a Platinum 😉

WKR
The "best" is a rabbit hole where a person can spend a lot of time and money, only to chase the next best thing during the next product update cycle.

I prefer to look at limiting factors. Will a piece of gear limit me in comparison to "the best". If the answer is no, then I use resources in those areas that are limiting factors.

My Maven glass is not limiting me in any way compared to any of the alpha glass.

I was lucky enough to compare a lot of different stuff over the years before I pulled the trigger on swaros.

It was 100% worth it for me. I spend a lot of time glassing though. The quality of my time in the woods has gone way up.
Worth for me.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned several Swaro's including SLC's and EL's and I thought the optics were fantastic, but out in the field I was always leary of actually using that investment under real-world conditions and often found myself taking a cheaper set of glass so I didn't have that cloud over my head. I've owned Mavens, MHG's, Conquests, and Meostars and they all perform way above my needs as-is so I just came to the conclusion that I simply didn't need Swaro's, I just wanted to need them.

From my perspective the previous large gap between "alpha" and "mid-grade" has narrowed considerably over the last 10 years or so. Newer offerings such as the new Mavens are oh-so-close to the performance of alpha brands that the jump in money just doesn't add up unless you are a guy who's out glassing 100+ days a year or simply has the funds to get the best of the best and has nothing better to spend it on. I'd almost re-classify many of the mid-grades as "near-alpha" as that's how close it is. The warranty of the Maven's is tough to beat and so is the glass.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great responses, and yes this has made it even harder. I am leaning towards going with the new Mavens. I think a lot of you are right in that the “mid tier” glass has closed the gap significantly to “alpha glass”. The one thing I really like in the NL bino is the large field of view and how crisp it is. I’ve never looked through Mavens but I’ve heard great things including my friend who just got a pair and loves them. If I were guiding and needing zero compromise in glass I’d probably go with the Swaro’s. This leaves some money on the table to put towards a caribou hunt in AK.

With a purchase like this I'll always buy the best I can afford. You will NEVER wonder if you have the best with the NL Pures but you'll always have to say the Mavens are almost as good as Swaros.

If I was looking to save money I'd be looking for a used SLC HD or EL Swarovision and be closer to the Maven pricing. However, the Maven will be an excellent bino that serves you well for as long as you own it.

Thanks for all the great responses, and yes this has made it even harder. I am leaning towards going with the new Mavens. I think a lot of you are right in that the “mid tier” glass has closed the gap significantly to “alpha glass”. The one thing I really like in the NL bino is the large field of view and how crisp it is. I’ve never looked through Mavens but I’ve heard great things including my friend who just got a pair and loves them. If I were guiding and needing zero compromise in glass I’d probably go with the Swaro’s. This leaves some money on the table to put towards a caribou hunt in AK.

The field of view is the biggest argument I can make for getting the NL's. I seriously want a pair in 10x42, or even 12x42. But when it boils down to actually spending money, I haven't been able to justify it yet.

ILPete

FNG

I've learned to be patient when shopping for alphas. These days I usually buy open box, demo, or slightly used. Getting like new, or almost like new alphas for 80-90% of new and possibly letting someone else eat the sales tax. Just picked up like new 8x42 NL Pures for $2,400.

The current market on swarovski El SV binos has them at a best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Are the nls better? Most likely yes.

I run 8x32 els and 12x50 els. I put them in a marsupial rig and go kick ass.

Expensive? Yes. Better glass than I need for 95% of my hunting? Absolutely.

Never heard anyone say "Dam my glass is too good for this hunting"

Buy what makes you happy .