Committing to Alpha Glass

schmalzy

WKR
I think that is about the best quote one can use for optics...and I agree. The EL's are a steal on the used market.

Seems like deals to be had on all of the big 3. ELs running 17-1800, same for Zeiss victory SF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be better to look at your own history here. Look at other things youve bought. Did you end up thinking you settled on a piece of completely capable/quality gear, but eventually bought the more expensive thing anyway?

Example, Did you buy a Mystery Ranch pack (perfectly capable pack) and ended up with a Kifaru/Exo/SG/Seek anyway? Did you buy a mid level bow, and ended up buying a flagship bow a few months later? If youve done things like that in the past, this is likely one of those things. Get the NLs. Save yourself time and money if you are going to end up with NLs anyway.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm not sure what the answer is for you but I have no regrets and want for nothing more than what my Meopta binoculars provide me.

I have no regrets buying Swarovski glass. I got a hell of a deal on EL’s from the classifieds here and if I lost them or they were stolen I’d go out and buy new ones immediately. I think a lot of guys buy lower end or mid tier and end up spending much more than they would have buying top end glass to begin with, myself included. Good luck with your purchase!

Buy the Swaros. You won't regret it. If you do, sell them here. I love great glass. I use my optics nearly every day.

I have always been a Meopta fan due to the bang for the buck value of the Meostar series. I recently received a Swaro NL Pure 10x42 as a gift. it is outstanding and better in most ways than my Meostar 10x42 HD. That said, the Meostar was/is a great bino and I don't think I would see anything with the NL's glass that I could not see with my Meostar.

The only time I personally would buy a top of the line "Alpha" optic is if it can do things a near "alpha" cannot. I never felt the need to upgrade from Meostar HD to EL or Zeiss SF as the Meostar did the same thing. The EL and Zeiss SF provided a nicer image or were more ergonomic, etc, but they didn't provide a capability that the Meostar was completely lacking.

The exception to my thinking is the Swarovski NL and the BTX. I can hold my NL 10x42 much more still handheld (with the head rest) than I can any other 10x42 I have ever used. That allows me see more detail and in a way gives a capability that I cannot find with other 10x42s. The huge FOV for the 10x42 is also a big deal for me. The other exception is the Swaro BTX, there is nothing else like it right now and it provides a capability that no other spotting scope has.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to look at purchases like this from a standpoint of depreciation, not cost. If you buy the NL Pure new, what can you sell them for next season if you decide to? The depreciation is what I consider being spent.

That said, I agree with the advice to buy used, if you can stand to wait on a deal. If you decide it was not a necessity you can sell and likely not be out much. I have had the same itch for a few years and just picked up a pair of Zeiss Victory HT 8x54 used to replace the Nikon Monarch 8x56 that I have had for 15 years. I am anxious to get in the field to see if they are worth it. Good luck.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not ruling out the NLs yet. I own all the hunting gear I need and this would be my final upgrade. I also live in Montana so saving for western hunts isn’t something I need to do, but if that were the case I’d rather buy mid tier glass and go on a elk or Muley hunt every year.

As mentioned above about looking at my own trends, I’ve always done my research on any and all equipment I’ve bought. I usually buy top of the line if I feel the performance warrants it. With technical clothing I find this to be true with most garments, same for boots and backpacks, and I’ve never been sorry. Mid tier in clothing, backpack, boots means you might have a real shitty backcountry experience, whereas mid tier glass may find you as many mule deer as the dude sitting next to you with Swarovskis. But out of all my gear that I use during hunting, besides my boots and backpack, my binos get the most use. This is why I’m highly considering the investment in the NL’s as it’s a tool that gets used more than any of my other gear (ie rifle, spotting scope, technical clothing, etc).

Thanks for all the great answers, definitely making my decision harder but eventually give me the right choice.

Benzy2

FNG
I can’t justify it because the mid-tier has always performed good enough for what I do. But I’ve never gone on any “important” hunts where my gear had to be perfect and there was no chance if it wasn’t. I also find the prices are significant. But I’ve played with the good stuff enough to appreciate it and appreciate the people who don’t see the cost as significant.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the nls are a gamechanging piece of equipment because of their FOV. Similar to gps apps in new country or high quality spotters for long distance glassing, nls have the ability to flip the current game on its head and really give you the leg up on competition(game and human).

All that considered its up to you to decide what its worth to you. personally, because I enjoy time in the field watching animals, I dont think twice about the best glass. Similar to how a prs shooter might carry a 6000$ rifle setup for a hunt.

most of my equipment is pretty simple and budget. but glass is just one of those guilty pleasures that I dont ever regret purchasing. my girlfriend looks at me like im some sort of imbecile though so theres that.

Folks seem to be addressing different questions on this thread:
  1. What is the minimum binocular quality that makes sense for hunting?
  2. Is there a field performance difference between the mid-grades and alphas?
  3. Will the OP be satisfied with a mid-grade glass, or will he eventually want to sell and upgrade to a true alpha?

Minimum Acceptable Performance: Been watching how different hunters use their binoculars for many decades now and there are vast differences. Some almost never leave the truck, some are for an occasional glance at something already spotted with the naked eye, but others are for serious study of a landscape or forest to find hidden game, cleanly identifying that animal at very first/last light, or studying that ram or bull to find growth rings or points. For the former just about any name-brand glass will do, but for the latter better glass makes an impactful difference.

Field Performance: In general, do alphas noticeably outperform mid-grade binoculars in the field? - definitely, YES. Most guys do their side-by-side comparisons (if at all) at a store optics counter or in a store parking lot in the mid-day sun. Under those conditions many minor flaws in optical and haptic performance remain somewhat hidden, but will be noticeable under various highly-contrasting natural lighting conditions. IME the alphas will consistently offer an easier, sharper micro-contrast image under over a wider variety of field conditions and lighting. In addition, the overall, fit, haptics/ergonomics of alphas are generally superior to mid-grades. Ex- are they easy to use with gloves on, holding fatigue, eye-strain fatigue, or optically - not just IDing but aging that buck, bull or ram. Continually read that notion that nobody will miss seeing an animal with a mid-grade vs an alpha - I disagree, as the alpha’s micro-contrast advantage make it more likely to spot subtle differences in image context, and since they are generally more pleasing and less fatiguing to use most will spend more time glassing with an alpha.

Satisfaction: Have been on distant mountains with quite a few hunters and don’t ever remember anyone saying they wished they hadn’t spent the money on the alpha they were holding. But heard many remark they wish they had a better glass. To me the question isn’t what am I willing to settle for, but what will I be satisfied with. I have a lot of binoculars and enjoy using many of them. But my #1 mountain and western glass is my Zeiss Victory SF 10x42. I’ve had them side-by-side with the NL Pures (borrowed) on numerous occasions - prefer some NL features, and some SF features. Both are exceptional, but for right now I’m satisfied with the SF. I also have SLCs (entry level alpha) and Nikon HGs (top level mid-grade) - both are very nice binoculars but feature-for-feature the NL and SF are collectively a bit more satisfying to use, although the SLCs are very close. Mid-grades aren’t quite to this level.

Are the mid-grades continually improving? Yes, they are getting better all the time and the perforce-gap with the alphas isn’t what is was 20 years ago. Is there a performance difference between the mid-grades and the alphas? YES, feature-for-feature the alphas are generally a more satisfying experience. Whether that performance difference is worth the money is an individual choice.

Most folks are satisfied with their binoculars until they handle and look through a better one. So buying a Maven, Conquest, MHG, Trinovid, etc, may make many folks completely satisfied. To keep the urge to upgrade at bay avoiding repeated exposure to true alphas is highly recommended.

Last edited:

Benzy2

FNG
Very true Spiral Horn. One of the best and worst days of my life was the first time I looked through a pair of EL after using some Nikons for a bit. I didn’t know how much more there was out there until I knew. I still like those Nikons for the money but I’ll know what I’m missing every time I use them as well. If I looked through the EL frequently, I’m not sure how long I would last before upgrading

1. I do think it is worth paying for alpha/near alpha level glass, which in this case would be any Euro bino’s in the $1,000 range, plus Mavens from what I’ve heard.

2. I think it’s silly to consider anything lower than the NL Pures (or even EL’s) as sub-alpha, seeing as they didn’t even exist a handful of years ago. Most of the famous guides spent their entire careers and most record book animals were killed with “lesser” glass.

JMHO

Marble

WKR
Price paid will long be forgotten after satisfaction of purchase.

You will find a lot of guys who didn't buy the best have all sorts of reasons why. For me, I saved with a goal, got what I wanted and have been thrilled.

I say to the OP, get what you want, don't settle and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’d throw a bit of caution in here. Personally where I end up in these situations is that I end up not buying what I emotionally have already bought. Then a year down the road I end up selling what I settled for and buying the higher quality more expensive item and it ends up costing more than if I would have just spent the money up front. Buy what makes you happy, it’s a lot of $$ but I’ve had my Swarovski glass for 9 years now and I’ve never regretted laying out the money.

You already decided you want the Swaros so go buy them you will always be wanting them. Why spend money on something that works but is not what you really want. You said you saved up the money so go get them. You will not regret your purchase so long as you are not overspending on things you cant really afford. Those binos are probably going to serve you well the rest of your hunting career. I would spend 3k on something I really wanted versus $1k on something that wasn't what I really wanted.

Money is only pieces of paper (or plastic) and worthless...until it is spent. If you don't spend it, someone else will. Ive had 6 pr of run of the mill average quality bins over the years and decided not that long ago to get a few pr of alphas.....2 pr of Leica Ultravid HD's in 7x42 and 8x32 and 2 pr of Swaros in 10x40 SLC's and 12x50 EL's. I have no further needs or wants. I do have a swaro spotter 25-50x65 with the W/A lense. Is it worth it? "I" want to spend my money..while I can.

Savage99

WKR
I’d throw a bit of caution in here. Personally where I end up in these situations is that I end up not buying what I emotionally have already bought. Then a year down the road I end up selling what I settled for and buying the higher quality more expensive item and it ends up costing more than if I would have just spent the money up front. Buy what makes you happy, it’s a lot of $$ but I’ve had my Swarovski glass for 9 years now and I’ve never regretted laying out the money.

Get out of my head! Sometimes I just need to get off my wallet…