Committing

Cove-Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info here for you to put to work.

It's definitely a personal choice for every individual and I don't think anyone would have fun sitting or stalking with a weapon that they lacked confidence in.

Know your limitations, set your self up for shots you know that you can make. Get close, that is what bow hunting is about.

a trad bow when properly setup and tuned is a very lethal.

you can do it and as mentioned above it is very rewarding

Beendare

WKR
So I did that whitetail hunt with my stick bow on the ground in this Public land spot. There are only a few trees....and they aren't in spots where the deer travel.

I bring this up as its important to realize....seeing animals at 100yds is rifle hunting...not stick bow hunting. Its critical to think in terms of setting yourself up for that close shot. I find myself analyzing sign much more intently on a hunt like this last one. Setup is absolutely critical...not just distance....but also consider how are you going to draw on that animal?

I did count coup on a couple of dink bucks so it was a success for me....though I didn't want to shoot a dink 1 1/2 hours in- even with my stick bow. Especially when the biologist for that WMA told us there is a bonified 200" running around in there.

So its not just your shooting that needs to be dialed with a stick...but also your hunt technique. The guys most successful on whitetails, have a good spot- game rich environment......and tree stand setups.

I used to have a good spot for hunting hogs on the ground.........and killed 3 the summer before last stalking in on them, the closest being 7 yds- so it can be done on the ground with some species.

Last edited:

Rolen

FNG
I have had trouble making the full switch to my first season I hunted with it until late season then picked up the wheels and killed a 140” mule deer. Last season I harvested a mule deer doe with my long bow and it was so rewarding. Now I moved south to the desert, put my compound on consignment and am fully committed and ready to eat tags if I have to.
Like said above I recently switched to a clicker and holly shit that exposed a lot of weakness, I was collapsing and not getting to full draw all the time. Adding that help a ton especially with my vertical spread.

Felix40

WKR
It’s easy to say “go all in” or “sell your compound”, but everyone does things differently. If it’s fun for you to shoot arrows into animals with a compound then keep doing it. I would be hesitant to just drop the compound because someone who has never killed anything with a traditional bow thinks that’s the thing to do. Believe it or not...you can shoot both kinds of bows. I usually pick based on the type of hunt, how much I want the meat, and how much time I have. Try the recurve a few hunts a year and see if it’s your thing.

This is coming from someone who was a purist 15 years before it was cool. I realize now how much fun it is to use all different weapons.

OP
C
Lots of good input here. I’m finishing this season with my compound. Regardless of what happens I’m hunting in state with my trad bow next season. I’m starting to fine tune as I have time the rest of the season. Right now debating on whether I want to do my out of state elk hunt with my recurve or compound. Here’s where I’m at...elk hunting is hard, it’s supposed to be, either weapon odds aren’t in my favor. I don’t mean to offend compound guys this is just my feelings. I’ve killed a pile of whitetail with a compound. I get nothing as far as satisfaction from a compound kill that I don’t get with a rifle. Tbh I’d rather go on a rifle hunt than hunt with my compound. If you do, I’m happy for you, I just don’t. Compound needs a new string and different arrow setup for elk. That’s a lot of money for something that really doesn’t interest me at all. I’d rather put that money in more trail cameras, gear, better video camera etc. Like I’ve said before only thing keeping me from full trad is fear of wounding. But if you don’t ever hunt with a trad bow you won’t ever get good with it. I think you guys are right if I don’t go full trad I’ll never do it, every year I practice with both and chicken out at the last second.

Hunting with a stickbow means accepting lower odds of success...no arguing that. If you cannot revel in that challenge, be excited about it and eager to try...then you just aren't there yet. Switching from a CB to a recurve is no different than switching from a rifle to a CB. It's that different.

Sell your compound then you won't have a choice 🤣
That's exactly what I did in 1988 and I am glad I did it. I knew so long as I had the compound option, I'd never get it done with the traditional bow. Took me a few years, but I eventually got it done. Then again, and again and again for 30 years. Now I consider a compound to be a hinderance to be quite honest. I'm much more deadly with my recurve in real world hunting situations at the distances I'm comfortable bowhunting.

Hunting with a stickbow means accepting lower odds of success...no arguing that. If you cannot revel in that challenge, be excited about it and eager to try...then you just aren't there yet. Switching from a CB to a recurve is no different than switching from a rifle to a CB. It's that different.
This.

There is a distance at which everyone is just as effective with a stickbow as they are with a compound. For some, that might be 12 yards. For some, it could be 7 yards. But that distance does exist. If a person can't live with that limitation, then that's a personal choice. Nobody I know is going to judge them. And the sense of satisfaction you'll get from being successful with a stickbow is purely your own. Nobody else will understand, no matter how often you tell them how hard it was. So just make the choice and then live with it.

Lots of good input here. I’m finishing this season with my compound. Regardless of what happens I’m hunting in state with my trad bow next season. I’m starting to fine tune as I have time the rest of the season. Right now debating on whether I want to do my out of state elk hunt with my recurve or compound. Here’s where I’m at...elk hunting is hard, it’s supposed to be, either weapon odds aren’t in my favor. I don’t mean to offend compound guys this is just my feelings. I’ve killed a pile of whitetail with a compound. I get nothing as far as satisfaction from a compound kill that I don’t get with a rifle. Tbh I’d rather go on a rifle hunt than hunt with my compound. If you do, I’m happy for you, I just don’t. Compound needs a new string and different arrow setup for elk. That’s a lot of money for something that really doesn’t interest me at all. I’d rather put that money in more trail cameras, gear, better video camera etc. Like I’ve said before only thing keeping me from full trad is fear of wounding. But if you don’t ever hunt with a trad bow you won’t ever get good with it. I think you guys are right if I don’t go full trad I’ll never do it, every year I practice with both and chicken out at the last second.
Sell the compound. I'm telling you, you'll thank us later.

It’s tough. I went all in this year after learning how to shoot it the last couple. I hit a nice 2.5 year old right on the edge (thick ridge) of the shoulder blade pre-rut, got zero penetration and obviously didn’t find him. Since then I sent an arrow 1” over two others back at 17 and 18 yards. Still keep taking it with though. Maybe I’m stubborn, but I’ve put in too much time to succumb to the compound just yet. My problem is after the wounding (made a good shot, buck just dropped and I maybe held a bit forward on the heart because of a limb I wanted to miss) I’ve been caught i the middle of aiming and shooting instinctive, and think I have rushed it a little before I actually settled in on the spot. I’m going to make two ethical clean kills before season is over though. That’s the plan.

It’s tough. I went all in this year after learning how to shoot it the last couple. I hit a nice 2.5 year old right on the edge (thick ridge) of the shoulder blade pre-rut, got zero penetration and obviously didn’t find him. Since then I sent an arrow 1” over two others back at 17 and 18 yards. Still keep taking it with though. Maybe I’m stubborn, but I’ve put in too much time to succumb to the compound just yet. My problem is after the wounding (made a good shot, buck just dropped and I maybe held a bit forward on the heart because of a limb I wanted to miss) I’ve been caught i the middle of aiming and shooting instinctive, and think I have rushed it a little before I actually settled in on the spot. I’m going to make two ethical clean kills before season is over though. That’s the plan.
Once it starts to happen for you, you'll wonder what was so hard about it. LOL Being successful with traditional gear is as much about confidence as it is about anything else. Tough to have confidence when you have no experience (or only bad experiences). But once you connect, things will get much simpler.

Once it starts to happen for you, you'll wonder what was so hard about it. LOL Being successful with traditional gear is as much about confidence as it is about anything else. Tough to have confidence when you have no experience (or only bad experiences). But once you connect, things will get much simpler.
I hear you there. I’m extremely confident in my ability to shoot and accuracy. Heck I can keep it in an 8 ring at 40... It’s my ability to make a shot on a deer that I’ve always struggled with even with a compound. I can keep it together and make the shot now, but the extra mental game with the recurve is the next hurdle now. I’ve actually found it easy to get drawn on deer and get a shot off, since I can draw so slow and smooth compared to the compound. I can hold my draw for 30s also which gives me some time.

Practice shooting from different situations. Practice like you would hunt. You won't typically shoot animals while you are standing 15 yards away broadside like you would a target. Shoot from you knees, from your butt, from a treestand. Shoot up hill and down hill. Practice stalking and drawing slowly knowing that you only get one shot. This will help you build confidence as well, as it's real world practice.

Tuned arrows make a huge difference!

A trad bow is much longer than a compound. Your limb tips are going to hit the ground or tree branches much more than they would with a compound so you have to account for this when you are looking for ambush spots.

I hunt with a recurve or longbow for most of the season, but we live off of venison. If I haven't filled my tags with my trad bow, the compound comes out and when I can't make that happen, the rifle comes out.

I can go 11.5 months without shooting my compound, run a few arrows through it and go hunt. I can't go much more than a week without shooting my trad bows or I'll get behind again. It's a commitment, but you can hunt with all 3 and be successful.

One more thing, a trad bow is quieter, but it's also slower. I had a doe jump out of the way of my arrow this year because it was dead calm and she heard the shot. A little wind to mask your sound can be a huge help!

I hear you there. I’m extremely confident in my ability to shoot and accuracy. Heck I can keep it in an 8 ring at 40... It’s my ability to make a shot on a deer that I’ve always struggled with even with a compound. I can keep it together and make the shot now, but the extra mental game with the recurve is the next hurdle now. I’ve actually found it easy to get drawn on deer and get a shot off, since I can draw so slow and smooth compared to the compound. I can hold my draw for 30s also which gives me some time.
I know for me, it really helped to start small. I started hunting deer with a traditional bow in 1988, but I didn't kill anything bigger than a rabbit with a traditional bow for 6 years. But all those squirrels and rabbits and other small game added up and gave me confidence in making a shot on game. In '94, I connected on a running javelina in W. Texas - still one of the best shots I've ever made in my life (and I had a witness!). After that, the standing deer seemed a lot easier. It's never easy, but it does get easier.

OP
C
Sell the compound. I'm telling you, you'll thank us later.
I see where you're coming from. I'm not gonna sell it, but I've decided in the last few days I'm jumping off the deep end. Compound needs a new string so I can't shoot it much like that, and it's there if I decided in a few years to do a hunt with it. Be prepared for a bunch of threads from me asking about tuning, foc etc.

Thanks for the encouragement

OP
C
Yeah, I feel like I can. I had the realization when I need to win, I can rifle hunt. Like I've said a bunch of times fear of wounding is what has kept me from doing this. But hey, you can't get over the hump and get good without getting a little beat up. I'm gonna start doing my research and getting nitpicky about tuning which is something I've never done. I'm thinking better tuning=better arrow flight=better confidence.

I'm thinking better tuning=better arrow flight=better confidence.
Correct. It's the difference between being able to look at something and hit it, or wondering if you're gonna hit it. Tuning a stickbow is a bit of a dark art. But once you learn it, you got it. And tuning for good arrow flight is just step 1. Then you have to learn how to tune so the arrow goes where you're looking. ;)

I know for me, it really helped to start small. I started hunting deer with a traditional bow in 1988, but I didn't kill anything bigger than a rabbit with a traditional bow for 6 years. But all those squirrels and rabbits and other small game added up and gave me confidence in making a shot on game. In '94, I connected on a running javelina in W. Texas - still one of the best shots I've ever made in my life (and I had a witness!). After that, the standing deer seemed a lot easier. It's never easy, but it does get easier.
I shoot every rabbit and squirl I can. Went 3-3 in rabbits they last time I went hunting them.