Committing

Correct. It's the difference between being able to look at something and hit it, or wondering if you're gonna hit it. Tuning a stickbow is a bit of a dark art. But once you learn it, you got it. And tuning for good arrow flight is just step 1. Then you have to learn how to tune so the arrow goes where you're looking. ;)
Everything is tuned up. I shoot bareshafts wvery time I practice (left two bars for form practice). I know I need to shoot more out of my saddle, but I take a shot or two every time before I get down from it. I need to get up and shoot many arrows consistently out of it though in a practice session though. I shoot from an elevated platform at the shop every time I go there, though it isn’t quite as high as I hang. Arrow flight has been great on the shots. Forgot to mention on the second shot my bottom limb did catch a loop in my pull cord, which Yanked it at the shot and threw it off. Learned that the hard way, pull cord is now in a different pocket. Had no reason to miss the last one, just held too high, form and release were perfect. Arrow flight was perfect, left to right was perfect....just high lol. Means I get to keep hunting. Late season can be awesome.

I agree with iou guys confidence is one factor that really leads to accuracy, especially hunting. I couldn’t ever do a 3D range until I really got cofident in my shot. I suppose same goes for hunting, need to get a few harvest under my belt, I’m sure they will go a long way.

I agree with iou guys confidence is one factor that really leads to accuracy, especially hunting. I couldn’t ever do a 3D range until I really got cofident in my shot. I suppose same goes for hunting, need to get a few harvest under my belt, I’m sure they will go a long way.
If you can kill a squirrel with a stickbow, nothing is safe. ;)

I watched a competition where the guy who won (apparently he's a legend but I can't recall his name) then shot every other competitor's bow using their arrows and drilled every shot like they were his only bow. So I doubt the bow set-up is everything. I'm inclined to look at trad shooting much more like throwing a baseball...do it enough, accuracy comes naturally.

Last edited:
OP
C
Makes sense. I guess that’s the point of trad, all about the guy shooting, not the equipment. Right?
I watched a competition where the guy who won (apparently he's a legend but I can't recall his name) then shot every other competitor's bow using their arrows and drilled every shot like they were his only bow. So I doubt the bow set-up is everything. I'm inclined to look at trad shooting much more like throwing a baseball...do it enough, accuracy comes naturally.

I don't remember where I heard it but someone with a trad bow podcast said more or less "instinctive shooting is just like throwing a baseball, but how many people are pitchers?". I think accuracy comes naturally to some people, but not everyone. It sure doesn't come naturally to me. I spent years flinging arrows and not being much good at it, it wasn't until I really started to get technical with form, tuning, and repeatability (like I imagine most high level pitchers do), that my accuracy got good enough that I really felt confidence hunting.
I think it's important to not just shoot arrows but to shoot arrows with a particular aspect of your shot in mind. Just like how I assume pitchers have a pretty lengthy list of drills they run through when they practice.

Makes sense. I guess that’s the point of trad, all about the guy shooting, not the equipment. Right?
I would add it’s more about the guy and the equipment working as one. With a lot more emphasis on the guy than the equipment. Opposite is true for compounds.

Montyb

FNG
Yeah, Solid Archery Mechanics online course by Tom Clum. It's available through The Push archery website. Best $200 I've spent on archery.
Solid Archery Mechanics is an outstanding resource! I relearned how to shoot with SAM after setting the recurve down for 20 years. Also, if you have the opportunity to take a lesson with Tom it is well worth the investment and he is one hell of a great guy.

Montyb

FNG
Clearly you are not shooting your bow enough. Shooting trad is a serious commitment in time spent practicing. Once you get to the point where you've developed the confidence to hunt with a stickbow, the idea of using anything else disappears. At least, that's how it is for me. I want my first trad kill so bad I can taste it. Haven't shot my CB in two years. It would seem you are mentally just "not there" yet.

View attachment 226855
That's a cool picture! I agree, Bruce it takes commitment. I know that not everyone can shoot daily but for me that has been key to accuracy.

Lprough

FNG
I had to eventually sell my compound in order to put 100% of my focus on my longbow. When it comes to hunting with a stickbow, you become more cautious on your stalks, Patient on your shots, And enjoy the process way more than the harvest. Yea the success rate may go down for awhile, but the process and the close calls become way more enjoyable for me. Plus, I actually enjoy shooting my bow every night after work now. I never enjoyed shooting my compound regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with both though out the year. I have some stands that max shots are close and take the stickbow. A few stands along the edge of CRP I expect longer shots and take the compound. I shoot the stickbow about every day, and the compound 2-3 times a week.