Common Mistakes

Seth

WKR
As I prepare for a bighorn ram hunt in Colorado this fall, I am interested in hearing about common mistakes made as most us will get one shot at RMBS. I have read about not skylining myself, get in shape (then get in better shape), and spend time scouting.

I have made one trip to the unit already (s17, South Collegiate Peaks) and will make a few more before the opener. Physical conditioning is on track. What else can I do or not do to up my odds on this DIY opportunity?

Ram94

WKR
Read up on sheep habits. One thing I find that is often overlooked is how to hunt them once you find them. They will often be in spots where they are difficult to approach, and they do this on purpose. You may need to wait them out until they go to feed and be waiting in their travel path or downwind of their food source. They also do not expect danger from above. If you can get above them, you’ve got it in the bag as long as you mind your thermals. Also, be very familiar with thermals.

leoni1

FNG
While sheep have excellent vision, they will often pay little heed to rockfall noise.

Applied to a hunt situation, prioritize staying out of sight over keeping quiet, if both are not possible. Stalking in over a slope of talus where rocks will roll on you is not usually a critical error, as they are accustomed to the sound of rockfall. But stay out of sight. Of course, be invisible AND quiet if you can, while watching wind.

Also, be mentally tough! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bambistew

WKR
stalk sheep when they are up and moving, not when laying down. They can be really hard to see when lying down, and will see you well before you see them.

Laramie

WKR
Always put safety first in sheep terrain. Not sure I would call it common but it seems like there are horror stories every year. Hunting sheep is dangerous if you get careless.

wytx

WKR
I don't know, I stalked my ram bedded in a group. They saw me, 2 young ones got up and then bedded back down.
I was able to crawl up within 75 yards before they got spooky and stood up for the shot.
Don't overthink it.
Feeding rams can travel a ways and never be seen again, bedded ones are there for a bit. Later in season they seemed to hang out in a little bit different areas than early season.
Take you time and have a great hunt.

Patience kills,
Don't start your stalk until they're bedded
Try and come from above the sheep
Bedded sheep are tough to spot don't give up on an area until you've gave it a morning and evening, longer if you know there should be sheep there
Let your glass do the work
Most of the time the lead ram is the oldest
Sheep are used to falling rock
Bring Sun screen and Chapstick
The better shape your in the better your odds
The further you can shoot the better your odds
Sheep our relatively easy to kill take what ever you shoot best
Take mid day naps and don't get burned out glassing
Before November mature rams will not typically be with the ewes
Take something to sit on, I use a piece of thermarest
Talk with others who have had the tag, and get harvest reports
Sheep hunting can be somewhat boring to some, sitting in the same spot all day looking at the same mountain, maybe bring a book
Patience kills
ENJOY THE HUNT/JOURNEY

Just my 2 cents

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Do not force a bad position. Sometimes you may have to wait several days to let the sheep get into a vulnerable spot. . Either they cannot be approached or cannot be recovered.

wyosteve

WKR
On my first bighorn hunt the mistake I made was only glassing the rocks and not the timber. Up here they spend lots of time in the timber especially early in the season.

OP
S

Seth

WKR
Thanks to all of you... there is some really good stuff here!

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest mistake.........not taking the time to enjoy the entire experience. Take it all in and enjoy the experience. I've seen many, many guys get so stressed over the hunt that they loose the joy of the whole experience. Frequently helping a person that is hunting sheep is the best hunt you will ever go on and and not kill anything.

waterrat

FNG
When you spot your ram don't let his see you at all if you can,,peek around the sides of rocks not over.

If you drop your pack pull some ribbon out so you can find it.

Try not to come straight up below them,thats where they're looking.

A small tarp and cruchable jacket if you get stuck on the mountain.

Sunglasses can really shine,,pick your carefully.

Good Luck,,,,