Compact Backup Binoculars 8x32 or 8x28?

hawk45

FNG
Looking to get a smaller, more compact pair of binoculars in case I either don't want to bring my bigger 8x42s or want to have a backup in the pack that takes up less space than another mid-size pair.
These may even become by bow hunting optics for midwest woods.
Not worried about slight differences in the lowest light situations (few mins the 32s may get better than the 28s).
The 28's seem the way to go obviously for size/weight, but have never owned anything smaller than 42s.
Appreciate the input.

OP
H

hawk45

FNG
This is going to be a budget pair of Vortex Diamondbacks. The more I look at the specs, the 8x32s win everywhere except eye relief with only 15.6 mm vs 18 mm and a slight size/weight difference. The eye relief may be a concern, but the minimal difference in size/weight isn't enough to matter.

Objective Lens Diameter:28 mmObjective Lens Diameter:32 mm
Eye Relief:18 mmEye Relief:15.6 mm
Exit Pupil:3.6 mmExit Pupil:4 mm
Linear Field of View:332 feet/1000 yardsLinear Field of View:426 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View:6.2 degreesAngular Field of View:8.1 degrees
Close Focus:6.5 feetClose Focus:5.3 feet
Interpupillary Distance:55-74 mmInterpupillary Distance:55-75 mm
Height:4.4 inchesHeight:4.5 inches
Width:4.6 inchesWidth:4.6 inches
Weight:14.0 ozWeight:15.5 oz

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a pair of Leica 8x20 Ultravids that I use for whitetail quite a bit. I know the exit pupil does not say so but I can see very very well until after legal shooting time with them and my 50 year old eyes.

OP
H

hawk45

FNG
Yeah, the FOV on the 32 is great. My worry is on the eye relief. Anyone had any problems with a 15mm eye relief?

OP
H

hawk45

FNG
I get that brother, but the DB will last too. They won't be the highest quality, but for closer work, they should be more than enough.

Trial153

WKR
There is pair of 8x32 Zeiss Conquests in the classifieds, I would snatch them up if I was in the market for a compact pair. My 8x32 ELS see a ton of use and I honestly I haven't thought they lacked for anything,
I would stick with no smaller the 32mm objectives on any anything

I've owed a few pair of mini's starting in the late 1970's...Zeiss 8x20, later 10x25s as well as more recently Leica Ultravid 8x20 when they first came out, but sold them all. For the past 15 years my small binos are Leica Ultravid 8x32s (pre-HD). I think they are perfect for what I use them for....closer cover bowhunting and dayhiking. Bowhunting the wide open spaces the Swaro SV10x42s get the call, especially if antler or horn restrictions are on the agenda like BC mule deer, moose, caribou and sheep. My annual usage is about 50/50 split between the 8x32s and 10x42s.

OP
H

hawk45

FNG
I was able to snag a pair of 8x32 DBs for $110 and figured for that price, if they don't work out, I can always give them to the wife so she can check out the pool guy across the street when I'm in the woods.
Thanks for all the feedback in insights.

Tomly

FNG
I’ve owned both the Leica 8x20 BR referenced above and the 8x32 DBs. I won’t argue that the Vortex are in the same class, but they are plenty handy, with a good warranty, and perform just fine for a back up pair of binoculars. The Leica pocket binoculars might be the best of their class, but eye placement is finicky enough that I’m putting them up for sale despite the otherwise excellent optics.