Compact Savage

MN_Condor

FNG
I grabbed a Savage from Cabela's one day, and didn't realize until much later that it was a compact, or youth model. It was my first rifle, and I didn't know any better. It's LOP is about 12.75", and my LOP is about 14.5", maybe a little less with a jacket on. I've looked into a new stock, but they are all significantly heavier. And I really like how lightweight this rifle is. What could I do to increase the length on my gun by about 1.5" without adding a lot of weight?

robtattoo

WKR
Remove the recoil pad, add 3 layers of flip flop sole & reinstall the recoil pad with longer screws. It might add an ounce.

Honestly, the plastic "tupperware" Savage stock is very, very light. Like 24 oz. or something. And it's not a bad stock. I shot plenty of MOA-sized groups at 300 yards with plastic Savage stocks without bedding them.

You can usually find one for about $60-70 on FeeBay

Apollo117

WKR
Check out https://www.gunpartscorp.com/. You should be able to find a either a synthetic or wooden stock for about $70.

You could create an alert on eBay for a replacement stock.

Lastly, you could post a WTB on the Savage Shooter's forum.

chefcreed

FNG
I put a recoil pad on a Howa Mini in youth stock only to add LOP. Works great and if one my kids want to shoot I’ll just take it off. It’s a cheap Bass Pro model and don’t have the measurements but if you like the rifle then it’s a easy relatively inexpensive solution.

Attachments

• F7957654-917A-45CF-A121-293A708E7774.jpeg
    F7957654-917A-45CF-A121-293A708E7774.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 17

TauPhi111

WKR
a couple things you could do:

1. Get a thick recoil pad. I believe you should be able to find 1.5 inch pads somewhere if not thicker.
2. remove the recoil pad and make a spacer to extend the stock to your desired length out of a light weight material. Finish it well and depending on how much you care about aesthetics, paint the whole stock with a tough epoxy base paint like Brownells Alumahyde.
3. Look for a light birch savage stock someone is selling. They can be pretty light and you can do some sanding/refinishing and wood removal to them to lighten them up even more.

Keep in mind that for shooting prone, sometimes having a rifle that is a bit shorter than your normal LOP is beneficial. You can shoot a shorter LOP effectively, but a longer LOP will break your shooting form.

OP
M

MN_Condor

FNG
I did wind up getting some spacers, just haven't put them on yet. I'll have to try shooting prone first. That might change things a bit.