compact spotters?

Macintosh

WKR
Wondering what folks have found suits them with regard to compact and mid-size spotters? I have a nearly new razor HD 27-60x85, but find I end up using bino's or bino's on a tripod even at the range because of it's size--I have decent bino's already. I just really like to be light and mobile, and my knees are getting kind of creaky in my dotage, so I have a hard time wanting to carry a full size spotter more than a very short distance, because of that I end up just leaving it more often than not. I'm thinking of seeing if I can trade my nearly new spotter for a smaller version of the same or selling and buying a smaller one, but am interested in others experiences and where they've landed before I do that.
Right or wrong it seems to me there are 3 classes of spotters--using same brand as an example, there's compact such as 11-33, mid-size like the 22-48, and full size like my 27-60. Every brand is a bit different but those seem like reasonable categories to generalize from (I think--feel free to school me otherwise). Most of my use is spotting at PRS matches, for which the lower-powered spotter is preferable to me. I would only need a spotter for a traveling hunt once a year or so, and I'm only looking to judge legality, not quality, but obviously that can mean counting points, spread, etc. So, what do folks think of compact or mid-size spotters around the same quality-level I have for this use, assuming that they are in combination with decent 10x binos? I'm not going to own multiple spotters. I am kind of thinking I'd use a compact spotter a lot more when hunting, just not sure if those would be adequate for that one trip where I want a spotter, or if I'll end up using the little ones just as little and regret not having the full-size model for roadside stuff? I'd love to hear others experiences. Thanks in advance.

ZackP

WKR
What is your budget like? That will help a lot.

I would put the ATS HD 65 at the top of your list, next to a Kowa 553.

If those are a bit of a stretch on the budget, an ED50 Nikon with the 13-40 eyepiece or an Ares should suit you well.

There’s also a question of ditching the spotter altogether and going with high powered bino’s off a tripod.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Kowa 553, comes in at 28oz and is the best glass in the compact spotter category. I use mine exactly as you describe how you’d like to use yours. I can tell if the animal I wanna shoot is legal to some great distances (>1 mile), and can do good field judging at closer distances(<1 mile). The scope always rides in my backpack as it’s so small and light that I don’t notice it. Glass is excellent with a crisp and clear image throughout the whole magnification range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
What is your budget like? That will help a lot.

There’s also a question of ditching the spotter altogether and going with high powered bino’s off a tripod.
Thanks very much, and sorry if I didn't make that clear.

-I'm looking at something in the neighborhood of an even trade for my existing spotter, regardless of whether thats an actual trade, or a separate sale & new purchase. I dont intend to invest much more into it than what I already have into my existing spotter. I'm open to used in newish condition, but while I appreciate suggestions of models to look at, at this point I'm more looking for whetehr this is a good move, i.e. "given this price range and quality I can expect there, what is your experience with this category of optics for my intended use and will I actually be coming out ahead compared to the spotter I already have?".

-Are you suggesting I carry both 10x and 15x binos in the field for these hunts? Or are you suggesting for a hunt where I might bring a spotter I leave the 10x's at home and carry a set of 15x's to cover both roles? Is 15x enough to count legal tines on a deer at a mile or more(i.e. legal deer must have 3 + points on one side, that kind of thing)? My existing bino's are 10x and that's not going to change, and for 90% of their use I would not want to carry 15x in place of these. My experience with 15x is limited to riflescopes, and a vectronix designed for spotting and calling in heavier firepower, i.e. artillery or airstrike, and a few friends mid-size 15-40x-ish spotters at PRS matches. If I got a pair of 15x binos it would be in lieu of a spotter, and it would need to fit into the above budget. Not certain, but I had also thought most of the 15x bino's were as-heavy or heavier than a compact spotter. My initial thought was that given all this, a set of 15x bino's would be mostly redundant with the bino's I am carrying already without offering that much additional magnification, and potentially at a weight penalty. I would have thought something like a 11-33 or similar spotter would provide more utility with less overlap...but not having really used one for hunting other than as above I'm very eager to hear your experience, I could see it being awesome in the right circumstances.

Last edited:

ZackP

WKR
Thanks very much, and sorry if I didn't make that clear.

-I'm looking at something in the neighborhood of an even trade for my existing spotter, regardless of whether thats an actual trade, or a separate sale & new purchase. I dont intend to invest much more into it than what I already have into my existing spotter. I'm open to used in newish condition, but while I appreciate suggestions of models to look at, at this point I'm more looking for whetehr this is a good move, i.e. "given this price range and quality I can expect there, what is your experience with this category of optics for my intended use and will I actually be coming out ahead compared to the spotter I already have?".

-Are you suggesting I carry both 10x and 15x binos in the field for these hunts? Or are you suggesting for a hunt where I might bring a spotter I leave the 10x's at home and carry a set of 15x's to cover both roles? Is 15x enough to count legal tines on a deer at a mile or more(i.e. legal deer must have 3 + points on one side, that kind of thing)? My existing bino's are 10x and that's not going to change, and for 90% of their use I would not want to carry 15x in place of these. My experience with 15x is limited to riflescopes, and a vectronix designed for spotting and calling in heavier firepower, i.e. artillery or airstrike, and a few friends mid-size 15-40x-ish spotters at PRS matches. If I got a pair of 15x binos it would be in lieu of a spotter, and it would need to fit into the above budget. My initial thought was that given this, a set of 15x bino's would be mostly redundant with the bino's I am carrying already without offering that much additional magnification. I would have thought something like a 11-33 or similar spotter would provide more utility with less overlap...but not having really used one for hunting other than as above I'm very eager to hear your experience, I could see it being awesome in the right circumstances.

I believe you would be coming out ahead in this category, by far the Kowa (In my opinion) outshines the Razor in the glass department.
Also, you mentioned leaving the Razor behind because of the weight… So it would already be more beneficial because you’ll actually want to carry it.

I mentioned the higher mag bino’s because a lot here have actually switched from a spotter, to high power bino’s, while still carrying 10’s. So I just added another option into the mix. I personally feel like it’s easier on the eyes to glass with bino’s, and if need to be pull out a spotter.

As far as investing much more on top of the Razor, I have seen a few Gen 2’s go around the $1000-$1100 price range here. If you can get that, coupled with Camerland’s sale on the Kowa 55 at the moment, you may only be out a few hundred after it’s all said and done. In my experience with both Kowa and the Razor spotters, that would be more than worth it. You may also be able to find a used 553 in the classifieds.

Hope this helps!

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
it very much helps, thanks!

Anyone else with experience to share I certainly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Blue72

WKR
Every PRS Mach I’ve been to…..spotters have been mostly replaced by mounted 12x or 15x bino’s

a mile for 15x bino is where it shines………. I even go out to two miles or more (not counting tines though)

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks blue72. Agree on the spotters replaced w binos, except im still seeing and using 10x For the most part, but really only shooting local matches.

for those recommending a set of higher powered binos, what models if any would you recommend in this price range?

ive got the small razor spotter and the kowa 553 on my list. The swaro model mentioned above is well outside budget. Any other models I should try to look at?

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks blue72. Agree on the spotters replaced w binos, except im still seeing and using 10x For the most part, but really only shooting local matches.

for those recommending a set of higher powered binos, what models if any would you recommend in this price range?

ive got the small razor spotter and the kowa 553 on my list. The swaro model mentioned above is well outside budget. Any other models I should try to look at?
Truthfully I’d stop at the Kowa, under $1500 you won’t find anything remotely in it’s league.

Northpark

WKR
I’ve been carrying a set 10x binos, a set of 15x binos and a spotter. My new maven 12-27x56 spotter should be at the house today and I’m planning on ditching my 10s and 15s for one set of 11x45 mavens.

ZackP

WKR
IMO the Razor 11-33 wasn’t worth carrying to say the least. I would take that one off you’re list.

The little ED50 Nikon will be better suited than the Razor.

IMO the Razor 11-33 wasn’t worth carrying to say the least. I would take that one off you’re list.

The little ED50 Nikon will be better suited than the Razor.
Hunt with a guy who’s only optic is the little Razor. He does pretty well finding Coues with it at respectable distances.

Each time I’m out with him (2-3 days a year), I do spend some time looking through his Razor. It’s not a bad spotter considering the size and price. I have NOT looked through the little Nikon so I cannot comment on it.

I procrastinated for years on whether or not to pick one up. But with so many negative reviews on it, I kept holding off. Worked out well as I picked up the Kowa 554 last year. But the negatives I read about the little Razor don’t jive with what I’ve seen while out chasing Coues with my friend.

Long story short: our eyes are all different so look through as many as you can.

ZackP

WKR
Hunt with a guy who’s only optic is the little Razor. He does pretty well finding Coues with it at respectable distances.

Each time I’m out with him (2-3 days a year), I do spend some time looking through his Razor. It’s not a bad spotter considering the size and price. I have NOT looked through the little Nikon so I cannot comment on it.

I procrastinated for years on whether or not to pick one up. But with so many negative reviews on it, I kept holding off. Worked out well as I picked up the Kowa 554 last year. But the negatives I read about the little Razor don’t jive with what I’ve seen while out chasing Coues with my friend.

Long story short: our eyes are all different so look through as many as you can.

That last statement is the one that breaks opinions, and I completely agree. Everyone’s eyes are different. IMO I couldn’t stand it, but the again that’s just me.

Good luck OP and let us know what you decide!

Blue72

WKR
Truthfully I’d stop at the Kowa, under $1500 you won’t find anything remotely in it’s league.
I’ve seen some arguments on bird forums that the ED50 is neck and neck with the Kowa

I never tried the Kowa but the ed50 with fixed eyepieces are amazing, for $500 it has to be the cheapest near alpha, if not alpha glass out there

Blue72

WKR

I like the Mavens

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@ZackP and @AZ_Hunter_2000 , re: the vortex 11-33. I mentioned it simply because I thought it would be the closest "1:1 comparison" to my spotter, just in a smaller size. Have you or anyone had a chance to compare quality and useability of the 11-33 vortex with the 27-60 vortex that I have? Is performance as-good, worse, significantly worse, or ? in the 11-33 vortex compared to the larger vortex? I havent had a opportunity to use any of the other models mentioned so its hard to put into perspective.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve seen some arguments on bird forums that the ED50 is neck and neck with the Kowa

I never tried the Kowa but the ed50 with fixed eyepieces are amazing, for $500 it has to be the cheapest near alpha, if not alpha glass out there
Truthfully I can’t comment on that but have a hard time believing it competes with pure fluorite lenses.

Sometimes I think it’s a justification for not spending more when you see reviews or claims but does make one wonder. Same could be said of owners of alpha glass that they are biased.

I like to think I’m not having owned Zen, Vortex, Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Kowa. I will say the Kowa 553 is the only optic I don’t think i’d sell out of all my other stuff or stuff I haven’t moved on from.

Blue72

WKR
Truthfully I can’t comment on that but have a hard time believing it competes with pure fluorite lenses.

Sometimes I think it’s a justification for not spending more when you see reviews or claims but does make one wonder. Same could be said of owners of alpha glass that they are biased.

I like to think I’m not having owned Zen, Vortex, Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Kowa. I will say the Kowa 553 is the only optic I don’t think i’d sell out of all my other stuff or stuff I haven’t moved on from.
Possibly

but the ED50 has a long history for a reason and I couldn’t believe what I was looking at when I first got one

with that said I wouldn’t use any scope for PRS matches or long glassing sessions. I much prefer high powered bino's by a long shot…..you can’t beat the brighter image, bigger exit pupils, comfortable two eyed seeing, and the bigger field of views