Compact Stalking Binoculars

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I tend to try to find the perfect tool for the job. I have a pretty good stable of glass; 65mm Zeiss spotter, 10x42 FLs and 10-15 Duovids for the mountains and prairies and some 8x32 Ultravids for whitetails.

I was thinking those stalks would be a lot easier with a little 8x20 instead of the big tripod glass.

Anybody have a recommendation that has worked well for them?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would use the 8x32s myself. They are pretty small. Once you get under the 30mm class of objective sizes, you end up with a lot of optical compromises, especially on exit pupil.

AGPank

WKR
I can't imagine a better compact pair than your 8x32's. I use my 8x42's SLC HDs for all hunting conditions and am happy. If you want another pair I can't blame you, there are worse addictions than fine optics.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good advice all. I definitely have used just my rangefinder many times on the whitetail stand. Will have to give that more thought. I did want someone to tell me I needed some tiny Swarovski's :D

stephen b

WKR
Maybe not the most popular- but I have used my B&L 7x26 Custom Compacts ( now Bushnell 7x26 Custom Elite) for years.

A negative is they are not waterproof and that can be an issue; and for those wet times I use my 7x30 Swaro SLC's.

But when it is fairly dry, the little 12 oz 7x26 is really nice. And it performs really well for a compact;- they tend to perform more like a mid-size in use. I have tried some quality 8x20 glass before, but for me I have found them to be way too (more) finicky to use when compared to the 7x26 Customs. The 8x20's have small exit pupil and they are a bit of a pain with most of their hinge systems. But some guys swear by them.

We are fortunate to have lots of good glass out there to choose from. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
I've got Swaro EL 10x42s, Leica Ultravid 8x32 and 8x20. For spot and stalk the 10x42s get the call. The 8x32s are great for "chasing elk" and tree standing. The 8x20s go on hikes in broad daylite in the off season. The Leica Ultravid 8x20s are nice glass but lack the definition of the bigger binos. I have an old pair of Zeiss 8x20Bs as well and they are much poorer optically than the modern Ultravids. YMMV