Companion spotter to vortex razor 11-33x50

So. I’ve drawn an archery sheep tag in Colorado and I am looking for a spotter to go with my current spottier which is a vortex razor 11-33x50. I may or may not be packing the small spotter in. Would you pick the razor 65 or the bigger 85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So. I’ve drawn an archery sheep tag in Colorado and I am looking for a spotter to go with my current spottier which is a vortex razor 11-33x50. I may or may not be packing the small spotter in. Would you pick the razor 65 or the bigger 85?

I would buy the Kowa 77 that @as.ks.ak has for sale. Pair that with the 1.6x extender and you’ll be judging sheep from miles away, as well as being able to glass huge amounts of terrain with that wide angle eyepiece that has a very large fov.
A used Kowa will only cost a bit more than a Vortex, while offering superior optics and better resale value.

Last edited:

fatrascal

WKR
I personally like the idea of a quality 65mm with 20x60 zoom. Your gonna wanna see the rings on the horns of the sheep. Ive got the 553 Kowa and its nice but I feel like more magnification is needed for a sheep hunt. The Kowa 77 with the magnifier sounds like a good option as listed above. I disagree with an 85mm though. Too big for packing around and heavier than the 65mm or 77mm. With a quality scope you will not have problems seeing sheep with a smaller 65 or 77 objective. Fatrscal.

Tunsei

FNG
I use 85mm for sheep, and the few extra ounces is worth getting a good look at something far away. Keeping in mind often the biggest limitation to clarity is heat waves etc. And not the scope itself, in my experience vortex razor is clear enough and only limited by the atmospheric conditions.