Competitive Shooting Help

sextonds

FNG
My shooting partner and I are looking to get into competitive shooting, just to have some fun. I’m not sure where to start or which route is best for us. I’ve looked into PRS, which has 1 regional event in our state (KY) for all of 2021. Also looked at NRL events. Seemed it was only large events across the country, with none being in KY. Any help would be appreciated.

Our Gear-
His- MPA Production 6.5 CM with Vortex Razor
Mine- MPA Matrix Chassis, Lone Peak, Brux 6.5x47L. Nightforce NX8

rayporter

WKR
find a match and go. ask lots of questions. there will be rules you will need to grasp. depending what venue you choose your gear may not be appropriate.

be ready to practice. there is nothing as lonely as pulling a trigger to improve you skills. no one will be there to push you or explain your mistakes.

on the firing line in competition it is even lonelier. but it is worth it.

and be ready to travel. finding a lot of matches within a short driving distance is not likely. it is very hard to get someone to travel with and if you wish to shoot you must get in and go. dont let this be a negative- just a fact.

OP
S

sextonds

FNG
Is a spotter required? Or does the range officer call your miss/hits?

NRL or PRS requires driving. Most people are traveling around 3-6hrs to a regional or national match.

But you should have smaller "club" matches that will be within 3hrs of you.
You are on the PRS side of the country so you will have many regional matches within reasonable driving distance.

I would suggest signing up for a regional or club match and going to shoot. Everyone will be VERY helpful and will share any gear you need. Not only in your squad but at the match...the match director might even squad you with seasoned shooters so they can help you more. Talk to the MD ahead of time and let them know you are a newer shooter.

Dont buy a bunch of gear ahead of time...or put off going to a match because you feel like you arent fully "setup"...i have spoken with lots of people that want to get into it but keep putting it off...

Just go and shoot. Rifle, scope, bipod and ammo. That is all you need.

There will be tons of spotters and binos for you to check out wind/targets in your squad...tons of bags for you to use...just sign up and go shoot.

Is a spotter required? Or does the range officer call your miss/hits?
RO will call impacts for you and give you a stage break down.

Some smaller matches might be squad scored/spotting.
Nothing to worry about.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
At most local/club matches, someone in your squad is calling your hits and misses. At the larger regional matches, there will be an RO calling the shoots. PRS and NRL are typically 2 day matches and will require travel to attend. If you happen to live in a state that has multiple shoots, you are one of the lucky ones. I don't believe KY is one of them. As previously mentioned, check out NRL22. There are quite a few clubs that hold monthly shoots and a couple larger shoots in KY. Look at the schedule on the NRL22 website. While it is a rimfire match, they are a lot of fun. At the .22 matches here, we shoot targets out to 400 yards. Add in a little wind and that is just as much if not more of a challenge then shooting 800-1000 yards with a centerfire rifle. Since you mentioned you are in KY, check out the MoST tactical shooting facebook page. This is a group of ranges in MO that puts on a PRS style match series. The ranges cover most of the state from west plains, columbia, KC, and norther MO. Depending on your location a couple may not be to far of a drive. The shooters to a person are some of the most welcoming people you can find. If you are willing to listen, even the top shooters will share more information than you can absorb at a time.

not sure how far these ranges are from you.....

.....both have matches throughout the year.

Ken Sanoski (currently ranked 5th) in PRS ...was teaching these classes at Kennerdell, Pa.,,,that is where he lives. Excellent instructor and nice range. Classes fill up ....classes coming up in August.

davsco

WKR
think you already looked here, but a couple of matches in Tenn

one showing in KY:

smithjd

FNG
See if there is a Guardian match you can make next year. Frequently they will have a short training day on Friday, possibly with some well known trainers for little cost. I’ve never been but will look at going next year with some friends who have not shot a match yet

Saturday is the match for score. On Sunday, they pair everyone up by rank (e.g. first place and last place) and shoot it again so more learning can occur.

Plus, it’s all for a good cause.

ETA link: https://guardianlongrange.com/matches

Lawnboi

WKR
Find a local one day match and go shoot. Sounds like you have the rifle and equipment. Have a good zero, good velocity and a bag and give it a go. I jumped in last year, it’s a good time. Nearest match to me is 3 hours drive. Every morning waking up at 3 to go shoot I say this might be my last one. By the end of the day I’m signing up for the next.

FLS

WKR
I’ll second the Guardian Matches. Very new shooter friendly, coaching is allowed, and it’s a fundraiser. Different atmosphere than PRS. Never shot an NRL match. I don’t shoot many two day matches anymore. We’ve got some really good local/ regional matches within 2-3 hours. It’s easy to get caught up in the competitive atmosphere, so don’t forget to have fun.

Last edited:

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
it gets said over and over- but just go.

for the most part it is a very open and inviting community.

GLB

WKR
some good advice posted already. Contact your local ranges, find someone that’s doing it. Volunteer to help setup in big matches. Seek other types of competitions such as 3 Gun, they do a lot of precision side matches.

Also not sure what your skill level is but go to training that will help you be competitive. Most importantly just do it and good luck.