complete heresy - one pack only

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the Divide never made it on a hunt? Just curious how it would do hauling meat, etc.
Whats the total weight of the Goshawk pack?

No it made on a few hunts, just didn't pack any meat.

The waist belt, shoulder straps are the same between the two; when you go to the Revolution (breakaway) it adds an additional cross stay and more straps/buckles so you can pull the bag away from the frame and haul meat closer to your back.

This breakaway feature adds ~ 8 oz vs the Divide setup. Their bags are all similar weight at a given volume ie. the Goshawk and the Divide bags weigh the same (both 80 liters), the additional weight of the Goshawk is in the additional cross bar and straps/buckles.

Hauling meat inside the Divide is certainly doable, but if you're backpack hunting then (at least your first load) you have limited room with your camping gear. You can add their load shelf to the outside of the pack for meat hauling, but this puts the heavier load (meat) further from your body. You might with a large enough dry sack, move some of your camping gear to the outside and keep the meat inside.

Bottom line the Divide is plenty capable of hauling meat, but my preference is having the meat behind the bag.

CMF

WKR
No it made on a few hunts, just didn't pack any meat.

The waist belt, shoulder straps are the same between the two; when you go to the Revolution (breakaway) it adds an additional cross stay and more straps/buckles so you can pull the bag away from the frame and haul meat closer to your back.

This breakaway feature adds ~ 8 oz vs the Divide setup. Their bags are all similar weight at a given volume ie. the Goshawk and the Divide bags weigh the same (both 80 liters), the additional weight of the Goshawk is in the additional cross bar and straps/buckles.

Hauling meat inside the Divide is certainly doable, but if you're backpack hunting then (at least your first load) you have limited room with your camping gear. You can add their load shelf to the outside of the pack for meat hauling, but this puts the heavier load (meat) further from your body. You might with a large enough dry sack, move some of your camping gear to the outside and keep the meat inside.

Bottom line the Divide is plenty capable of hauling meat, but my preference is having the meat behind the bag.
Thanks for the info!
I love my exo k3 4800, but I'm just looking at one day having an overall lighter load for moving around faster and easier. Going to the divide would be the biggest saver and shave 2lbs off. If the divide is good enough to get a load out, I think I would still have my k3 frame at the truck for hauling the remainder.
All together a switch to the divide, an upgrade of my tent, quilt, pad and trek poles would cut my weight by ~5lbs. for an early season hunt.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah 5 lbs off the back is no joke :)

The Divide makes a great "other than hunting season" too, kills two birds with one stone.