Complete Noob.

CJohnson

WKR
Have fun.

Don’t get in a big hurry to hike back to a blue lake and post up to glass on the closest knob overlooking a bowl.

Walk slowly and deliberately through the thickest timber you can find.

I’m an idiot myself according to my wife though, so take all that with a grain of salt.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my first year as well and I'm also doing CO. Question though, you mentioned OTC and putting a cow in the freezer. If I'm not mistaken, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but OTC is only for Bulls. if you want a cow tag you would have to draw one. Not sure if it is the same for youth. But you still can get a cow tag if there is anything left over starting August 3, same time the OTC tags go on sale. There will be that list that gets published on Tuesdays and then Wednesday you can scoop em up. I forget exactly how it works but if you haven't, you may want to call a CPW hunt planner. Also check out the CO hunt atlas to see a lot of the winter and summer ranges and concentrations to get a good idea of where the elk tend to be. Keep in mind the data leans more towards cows and the bulls will be harder to find. There were some cow tags in the secondary draw. Regardless, even if you get bull tags, you should have a great time. I'm from the North side of Houston so getting used to the elevation is going to be a challenge. I experienced a little over 10,000 ft for a bit last week in Montana on our way to Yellowstone. When we were hiking a trail I could definitely tell the air was thinner lol. Feel free to message me anytime we could compare gear lists and game plans going into all of this as first timers.

OP
C
OK, rifle hunt, are we hunting Oct. - Nov. ? Is this a Cow tag, Bull tag or either sex tag?

ElkNut
Planning on the either sex tag in October. He's still considered youth, but other than the price, I'm not sure what that changes. I'm going to call the CPW Planner in the morning to get some questions answered. Like can I go with him being the only tag holder? There's only going to be his gun besides my sidearm.

OP
C
This year will be my first year as well and I'm also doing CO. Question though, you mentioned OTC and putting a cow in the freezer. If I'm not mistaken, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but OTC is only for Bulls. if you want a cow tag you would have to draw one. Not sure if it is the same for youth. But you still can get a cow tag if there is anything left over starting August 3, same time the OTC tags go on sale. There will be that list that gets published on Tuesdays and then Wednesday you can scoop em up. I forget exactly how it works but if you haven't, you may want to call a CPW hunt planner. Also check out the CO hunt atlas to see a lot of the winter and summer ranges and concentrations to get a good idea of where the elk tend to be. Keep in mind the data leans more towards cows and the bulls will be harder to find. There were some cow tags in the secondary draw. Regardless, even if you get bull tags, you should have a great time. I'm from the North side of Houston so getting used to the elevation is going to be a challenge. I experienced a little over 10,000 ft for a bit last week in Montana on our way to Yellowstone. When we were hiking a trail I could definitely tell the air was thinner lol. Feel free to message me anytime we could compare gear lists and game plans going into all of this as first timers.
I'm not sure if I have to possess a tag to be on the Mountain. If so, so be it. I'm calling the CPW Planner tomorrow. So I'll have a better idea of what hoops I have to jump through.

I work in Katy quite often. Got to meet the constable when I was practicing with my bow in Bear Creek park last year.

Deadfall

WKR
So that's honestly where I plan to skimp the first year. I have a set of 10x50s that I use for whitetail. I was planning to bring them for now.

Between outfitting my son and myself plus his gun and scope this year, I'm trying to spread it out. Besides, if we don't tag out. I can always come home and tell the wife how better glass would have made a difference.
10x50 is plenty.

Deadfall

WKR
I always direct new guys directly to Elknut and Newberg for elk information. Between tge 2 of them, they cover strategy and tactics best.
I haven't researched everyone though. My be others out there giving complete information...

My experience though. Simple is better

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if I have to possess a tag to be on the Mountain. If so, so be it. I'm calling the CPW Planner tomorrow. So I'll have a better idea of what hoops I have to jump through.

I work in Katy quite often. Got to meet the constable when I was practicing with my bow in Bear Creek park last year.
If it's just your son hunting then you don't need a tag to be with him. You can be there to help pack out and all that. Hunt planners have been really helpful for me and have a lot of good information.

I hope the constable was a bow hunter too and was sympathetic lol.

OP
C
If it's just your son hunting then you don't need a tag to be with him. You can be there to help pack out and all that. Hunt planners have been really helpful for me and have a lot of good information.

I hope the constable was a bow hunter too and was sympathetic lol.
Constable was cool. It's Houston, but still Texas. He just didn't want me pointing it at anyone, which I wasn't obviously.

All OTC are bull only, even the youth tags. Bummer, but oh well. If he kills a bull, that will give him bragging rights for a while. He would enjoy that. I've been rubbing in my last archery buck pretty bad with him. Trying to shame him into picking up a bow.

I may put a bear tag in my pocket just incase. Looking at my schedule, I'll be targeting 2nd rifle. The planner gave me a few units to check out around Meaker. So that's really helpful. Now I'm not sure if I should target timber or open country.

ElkNut1

WKR
OK, it's a Rifle hunt & open to Bulls only, that's a typical elk rifle tag. Hunts in Oct. good deal!

Definitely focus heavily on glassing open terrain; I like open terrain that borders timber as well, burned areas are also areas to consider, great for glassing! Personally I wouldn't go without a spotting scope to accompany my binos as well especially for a rifle hunt. It's not for sizing bulls but for spotting elk miles away. Finding them is your biggest challenge.

Also, bulls can & do bugle in much of Oct so bring a Bugle & know how to produce a nice loud Locator Bugle when confronted with heavy timber up to a mile away that cannot be glassed, in some cases bulls will respond giving away their location, bingo, you've found bulls through sound that other wise you wouldn't have known were there. Now that you have the ElkNut App you can practice alongside real bulls using this sound & polish up your calling. Elk hunts are expensive for Non Residents especially, you want to cover all your bases!

If looking for a Bugle I'd consider the new Phelps External Reed Bugle, it sounds great! If needed you can order it off the App & save 10% on any of the calls he offers there with the promo code inside.

Look for country away from Trail heads that elk may escape too for those hunters pounding the trail systems.

How do you do this? Well, when I'm heading to new country I take a few hours & drive the unit best I can to get a lay of the land; this means what trails are being used & where are hunters camping, I use this to my advantage to hunt elk they will pressure, some get killed but most don't, remember it only takes one! I love those escape routes & ridges elk will use to vacate a pressured area quickly. Be there waiting!

I don't Rifle hunt elk much any longer as I love bowhunting but here's a bull my Son & I took a few years back, this can be you two! Good luck & stay positive!

ElkNut

Attachments

• Paul and Paul II 2.jpg
    Paul and Paul II 2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
C
OK, it's a Rifle hunt & open to Bulls only, that's a typical elk rifle tag. Hunts in Oct. good deal!

Definitely focus heavily on glassing open terrain; I like open terrain that borders timber as well, burned areas are also areas to consider, great for glassing! Personally I wouldn't go without a spotting scope to accompany my binos as well especially for a rifle hunt. It's not for sizing bulls but for spotting elk miles away. Finding them is your biggest challenge.

Also, bulls can & do bugle in much of Oct so bring a Bugle & know how to produce a nice loud Locator Bugle when confronted with heavy timber up to a mile away that cannot be glassed, in some cases bulls will respond giving away their location, bingo, you've found bulls through sound that other wise you wouldn't have known were there. Now that you have the ElkNut App you can practice alongside real bulls using this sound & polish up your calling. Elk hunts are expensive for Non Residents especially, you want to cover all your bases!

If looking for a Bugle I'd consider the new Phelps External Reed Bugle, it sounds great! If needed you can order it off the App & save 10% on any of the calls he offers there with the promo code inside.

Look for country away from Trail heads that elk may escape too for those hunters pounding the trail systems.

How do you do this? Well, when I'm heading to new country I take a few hours & drive the unit best I can to get a lay of the land; this means what trails are being used & where are hunters camping, I use this to my advantage to hunt elk they will pressure, some get killed but most don't, remember it only takes one! I love those escape routes & ridges elk will use to vacate a pressured area quickly. Be there waiting!

I don't Rifle hunt elk much any longer as I love bowhunting but here's a bull my Son & I took a few years back, this can be you two! Good luck & stay positive!

ElkNut
You and your son are named Paul? That's cool. My son is Paul IV.

I'm focusing on unit 71 unless something changes. Looks to be a decent variety of terrain. There's bear and fishing in the area, plus several campgrounds. I will also draw up a contigency or 3 just incase. That's a nice tip on the escape routes. I'm planning on getting there 3 days early to get acclimated and a lay of the land.

Question: I have an ATV, but have no clue if there's any use for it. Are they allowed for recovery? From talking to some people, pack out is the worst, and my boy is light in the britches. So that's my biggest concern in a way.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
You and your son are named Paul? That's cool. My son is Paul IV.

I'm focusing on unit 71 unless something changes. Looks to be a decent variety of terrain. There's bear and fishing in the area, plus several campgrounds. I will also draw up a contigency or 3 just incase. That's a nice tip on the escape routes. I'm planning on getting there 3 days early to get acclimated and a lay of the land.

Question: I have an ATV, but have no clue if there's any use for it. Are they allowed for recovery? From talking to some people, pack out is the worst, and my boy is light in the britches. So that's my biggest concern in a way.
CPW has a section on their website regarding the rules and regs for ATV's. I thought I read you have to register it somehow in CO to be able to use it. Be aware of areas that are closed to ATV travel. If you are willing to go through the process to b e able to use it then I'm sure it will be valuable. Just remember to always be mindful of hunters and the environment, only travel where you can. I have a Mule I thought about taking. May still do it but need to read up on all the rules and such as well. I started to but then got distracted.