Components shortages. Do you think it will end?

Luked

WKR
So what's your alls opinion. Do you think that we will ever get back to where we were 4-5 years ago on components. Still around my area you can't find a brick of primers. Half the time can't find bullets or powder.
Do you think it will return to normal. Or do you think this is the new normal?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
It’s ending. Could have spent thousands on most supplies lately.

Yea there are a few things like specific bullets that have been hard to come by. But overall, if you’re hurting for powder and primers, and are not living under a rock, you should still be able to shoot.

I think this “shortage” has largely been propagated by resellers leveraging their wealth the last year. Evident when powder sits on the shelf at 50 a pound but is gone in 15 seconds if it’s 38 a pound.

I don’t think we can count on prices going back down to what they were, pre shortage, ever.

If people would quit panic buying things would correct themselves fairly quickly. The trouble right now is everyone has the mindset of if it’s there, you better get it or it may be months before you see it again. Probably not wrong, but it’s keeping the prices ridiculously high and dragging this out. We aren’t letting the manufactures get caught up. I’ve done ok acquiring what I wanted and needed. Took some trading, I’ve bought a few items at higher prices than I wanted, but I personally haven’t hoarded a thing. I’ve got enough to deer hunt for the rest of my life, but one or two range trips and I could be hurting.

It’s ending. Could have spent thousands on most supplies lately.

Yea there are a few things like specific bullets that have been hard to come by. But overall, if you’re hurting for powder and primers, and are not living under a rock, you should still be able to shoot.

I think this “shortage” has largely been propagated by resellers leveraging their wealth the last year. Evident when powder sits on the shelf at 50 a pound but is gone in 15 seconds if it’s 38 a pound.

I don’t think we can count on prices going back down to what they were, pre shortage, ever.
The raw material increases will bump the prices higher than pre covid numbers, but I do think they’ll eventually fall back to more correct number. I don’t see $100 primers becoming the norm yet, but $50-60 sure could be for standard primers. I have some match magnums that were $50/1000 before things went south.

Other than a few specific things I could have bought everything one would need online in the last month. I picked up 8lbs of H4831sc last week. Varget was in the shelf locally 2 weeks ago. Ammo shelves here are full too.

Lawnboi

WKR
The raw material increases will bump the prices higher than pre covid numbers, but I do think they’ll eventually fall back to more correct number. I don’t see $100 primers becoming the norm yet, but $50-60 sure could be for standard primers. I have some match magnums that were $50/1000 before things went south.

I think it’s already happening. Last 5k primers I bought were at 69.99 a brick. I could buy primers almost daily online. Besides the 215m specifically.

Guys who actually need primers don’t care if they are spending $70 or $100 on a brick of primers.

Last edited:
I think it’s already happening. Last 5k primers I bought were at 69.99 a brick. I could buy primers almost daily online. Besides the 215m specifically.

Guys who actually need primers don’t care if they are spending $70 or $100 on a brick of primers.
I think primers will fall some more, but $45 at retailers will most likely be the norm, with 50-60 in the mom and pops. Powder will be in the $40-45 range and retailers around 35-40 once it all clears

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Must me much different in my area as we still can't get primers and ammo shelves are not anywhere near stocked.
Even the bass pro and cabelas stores don't have a lot.
Recently took a trip to FL to see a buddy and his local gun shop had all kinds of ammo. I bought white a bit while I was there but still quite a bit I can't find.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
That question has gotten asked every single time we've had one of these "times". And in every single case, we have returned to "normal"......and a lot of folks still failed to stock up while times were good.
That’s just it. By the time the shelves are full again, my primer stockpile will be dwindling. And I’ll top it off, again. They were begging us to buy primers at 35/k just a few years ago. Cabelas was blowing out the S&B at 22/k.

20 or 30k primers take up very little room, and stored properly will last your lifetime. Obama taught me a lesson I won’t forget.

Venatic

FNG
I don’t think ammo manufacturer’s will have their backlog of orders filled for another 12-18 months so unless the extreme inflation causes folks to just completely stop buying ammo normal is still a good ways off.

Reactions: WCB

Rich M

WKR
It is not going back to where it was. Nope.

Will things become a little more available - yes. More costly too. Factory ammo is 2-3x what it used to cost.

Anyway - get what you need when you can. Then you can sit back and feel comfortable that you have what you need to do what you feel you want to do.

I feel for guys just getting into "it" at this point in the game. Pricey.

Reactions: WCB