Compound Bow String Materials

TheCougar

WKR
Can anyone give some insight into the appreciable differences between 452, X, Fury, and Mercury? I’ve used 452 and X and honestly couldn’t tell a difference. I’ve never used Fury and Mercury and haven’t really found a lot of information on them compared to 452 or X. I’m shooting a VXR 31.5 at 75#, if that matters much. Consistency is my #1 priority, followed by durability. I’m hell on my bow... thanks.

I have been using 452X for a good while now and have no reason to go away from it.

I know of two string sets that Gas is replacing that were using the Ghost material. After already replacing once they are going to 452X. The owners were constantly twisting them up, I know at one point a TRX 40 took 12 twists in the string to get it back to spec. I do know a lot of people using gas, so it might not be a huge percentage. I think generally they build a good string, been wondering if they had a bad run of their ghost material.

I wouldn't leave a material unless you have good reason to. 452X has served me well, maybe something else out there is better, but I don't need to be the guinea pig. I think Bcy will say that the Mercury is more likely to stretch than 452x. X-99 is interesting, but again, I'll stay with what I know is working for me.

Rob5589

WKR
My last 4 sets are 452x. No rotation issues, stretch, etc. A good builder is just as important as the materials, IMO.

Reactions: Zac

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
This season I’m trying a set of VEC99 from catfish customs. I wanted to try it making due to it being wax less and supposedly super tough to abrasion. To me no wax means less dirt/crap finding its way into the string crawling around or pushing through brush. Only 2 months of backyard shooting so no hunting test yet but I’m also hell on my bow come the seasons and have high hopes. I’ve used several of his strings in other materials and once my peep is set I’ve had no twisting issues.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
My Matthews loves 452s as well. I tried X99 on them and had peep rotation on the same bow.
l will stick with 452X. I was going to try Buckslayer, but I haven’t heard back from him after several days.

I’m gonna try some of the VEC99. Hav heard good things. Like that you don’t have to watch. Have to see how it holds up

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Vec99 Bloodline Strings from Wicked Threads Custom Strings, local central PA guy.

Many of the materials work excellent, it’s 90% about the build and time taken to properly stretch the set. As mentioned above 452x is the gold standard if- your looking for stability and zero creep. A set that is improperly built or stretched by pulsing (think mass produced Zebra) is no better than a well built BCY x for creep. I like the newer products that use SK99 Dynema like 454X or X99. Think of 454X as an improved 452x with better abrasion resistance and a few other pluses- though it still has the vectran an in it.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add to the pick a good builder comments. I have x99 on my bow currently. I tuned it last year in July and hunted through fall with it. I just checked it's timing on Friday and it was dead on (so were my broadheads). I previously struggled with two sets of X99 from a different builder which I could not keep a tune with.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
My BuckSlayer strings arrived this week. Hopefully they live up to the hype and build quality. I wasn’t impressed with the communication I received (aka, none) in response to my emails and attempts to get in touch with him.