Compound Bow Suggestions for Women

My wife is interested in getting into archery hunting. She has a 24 inch draw and can pull back 40lbs. She currently has a youth bear bow and we have determined she needs to get within 20 yards of a deer to be lethal.

We want to upgrade her bow so that she has a further effective range and maybe one day can hunt elk too.

I have been looking at the Matthews Prima but wondering if others have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Mcnasty

FNG
You might also consider the Bowtech Eva Shockey. No personal experience, but several ladies and youth at our local range like it for your use case. Arrow tune and broad head selection will also be part of the equation to consider.

Same advise as anyone, hit the best archery shop in your area and shoot all suitable bows. One will likely choose her. Proper arrow and broadhead selection are also important but a properly tuned set up with a cut on contact should work great! It’s kinda hard to pick a bad bow from the reputable brands. More important to have a good shop for support, and equipment that’s reliable and fits the archer.

My wife is interested in getting into archery hunting. She has a 24 inch draw and can pull back 40lbs. She currently has a youth bear bow and we have determined she needs to get within 20 yards of a deer to be lethal.

We want to upgrade her bow so that she has a further effective range and maybe one day can hunt elk too.

I have been looking at the Matthews Prima but wondering if others have any suggestions.

Thanks!
I just got my daughter a prima, and my wife has a nexus 2. The prima appears to be the more refined bow for a woman.

I know bowtech makes a women’s bow but haven’t handled one

I got my wife an Elite Spirit and that thing rocks for her. She shot a Diamond for a few years before as an entry level bow before I knew if she’d stick with it.

nphunter

WKR
Strothers Hope or a new Moxie Angel. They are awesome bows, light, smooth, fast and forgiving. My wife and both kids shoot them.

sndmn11

WKR

I'll see if I can get @KickinNDishin to hop on and give her thoughts. She has shot most of the "women's" bows and doesn't have a good opinion of any.

A 50lb or 60lb limbed speed bow that you can turn down to 45ish to start is my suggestion.
24" isn't much of a power stroke, however, @ucsdryer 's wife has killed more bulls with her bow than most men and I'm pretty sure she shoots an apathetic carbon rose at 40lbs.

Last edited:

300stw

FNG
just let me wife spen a day in 2 archery shops, shot every bow that could turn down to 24.5 draw, shooting all at 45lbs
she ended up with a Prima, liked it the best, draw cycle and backwall,

now to build an arrow to hunt with, i think shell get to 50 lbs by sept, trying for a 400gr arrow , 50 gr insert and a 100gr magnus probably,,

input?

I took my wife to the shop and figured she could shoot the Eva, Elite Ember and I think something else. She struggled to get a couple of them back even though she could pull my daughters bow at the same weight. After sorting thru a few bows, she ended up going to a Mathews Image because we could get the weight low enough and then it could expand to higher draw weights as she built up the strength and form.

She has been shooting indoor league with us and has been lights out with it. Haven't adjusted the draw weight at all for hunting yet, but I'll probably mess with that come summer and she will be good to go.

Key thing is, let her shoot them and make her choice. It's so difficult to pick a bow out for someone else. Good luck!

Marshfly

WKR
My wife got her first bow a couple of weeks ago. She shot the Mathews Prima and Image and choose the Image hands down. WAAAAY smoother draw cycle and simply a much nicer bow. I would highly suggest having her shoot the Image if you are looking in the $1k range.

Honestly, If my main game were shooting whitetails at 40 yards and less I'd buy one, set it at 50# and go to town.

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my wife her first compound bow a couple years ago now. Bowtech is what I shoot, and to be honest, I anticipated her liking the Eva Shockey the best. After trying several other bows, including the Hoyts and Mathews models geared more towards lower DW and shorter DL, she actually preferred the Solution SS with 60lb limbs. DW at 45lbs, 27” DL. Point is let her try all the options, assuming they can be adjusted down to accommodate DL and DW, and pick the one with the best draw cycle. Comfort was most important for my wife. Good luck and have fun!

I had a Prima, and it was really nice, but now that I've moved to a different bow with a longer ATA and shorter brace height, I find it WAY easier to shoot consistently. I'd say try any bow that can accommodate her draw length/weight without limiting yourselves to just women's models.