comprehensive packing list for out of state hunt

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently undecided about whether I’m going to drive or fly to WY this fall for deer and elk. I know what to take in the woods, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of what you take in the truck for an out of state hunt? I’m thinking cooler(s), truck maintenance stuff, self recovery gear, etc? It’s all gotta fit in my 1/2 ton - no trailer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This all goes in the back seat or under the back seat of the truck or in the trailer.

Gloves, latex gloves, Battery jumper box, jumper cables, tire goo temp patch junk, chains, code scanner (to clear codes if needed), mechanics tools, light, extra light, 12 v compressor, tire filler, tire iron, drive on blocks, jack, cooler, dedicated ice cooler, frozen milk jugs filled with water as ice, extra boots, extra sleeping bag, extra clothes, extra food, extra propane stove/fuel, lighters, extra knife, extra multi tool, snatch block/cable, extra water, big first aid kit to replenish backpack kit.

zacattack

WKR
I’m currently undecided about whether I’m going to drive or fly to WY this fall for deer and elk. I know what to take in the woods, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of what you take in the truck for an out of state hunt? I’m thinking cooler(s), truck maintenance stuff, self recovery gear, etc? It’s all gotta fit in my 1/2 ton - no trailer.
You should listen to Remi Warren’s podcast on what to keep in your truck.
If I can get it all in my Taco you can put it in a half ton.

prm

WKR
I drive to CO from VA each year. As for additional stuff, it just some basic tools, tow chain, chain saw, cooler, shovel, and tire chains would be good but I always forget. Then just my pack ready to go, rifle in a case and an additional small back pack for the night I stay in a hotel along the way. I have a backpack hunt list if you want that.
I keep a fresh change of clothes and some drinks at the truck for when I hike out.

Edit, I do have jumper cables and one of those jump start battery things. I also have tire plugs. But all this is always in my truck. A comforter and pillow in the truck can be nice for a quick place to sleep. I have flown many times and driven the last 4-5 year. I much prefer driving. Two long days, one stay in a hotel roughly halfway. I stay with family for one night once in the CO mountains, so in lieu of that possibly add one night close to the area where you'll hunt. That one night helps with acclimatization to the high elevations.

Last edited:

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Take your truck. I have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and everything fits. If I take the Suburban I will just fill it up, and not use half the stuff that I bring. Wyoming Weather is like Colorado, weather expect it to change at least twice while you are there. In an emergency, there is always a Wal-Mart nearby. If your truck needs special parts, filters, etc., take spares. Good luck.

OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone take a vehicle mounted communication radio - just in case? I'll already have an inreach.

Last edited:
OP
D

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
You should listen to Remi Warren’s podcast on what to keep in your truck.
For those who later stumble on this thread, here's the list from Remi's podcast:
  1. shovel
  2. tow strap
  3. jumper box
  4. tire plugs
  5. tire pump
  6. bottle jack
  7. high lift jack
  8. tire chains
  9. wood block (protecting for high lift jack, putting under tire to install chains, etc.)
  10. gas can
  11. chain saw and associated fluids (or a saw of some kind)
  12. jumper cables
  13. basic tool kit
  14. extra water
  15. something warm (e.g., blanket)
  16. fire starter
  17. leather gloves
  18. first aid kit
He numbered 20, so I must've not written down 2 of the more obvious ones

nphunter

WKR
Here’s my list I keep in notes I have another for rifle but it’s really similar just has warmer cloths and ammo. This all fits in a Tacoma with a canopy.

Archery list

Leuko tape
Socks
Maps
Undies
Range finder
Bow
Camos
Pillows
Sleeping bags
Cot
Pop up tent
Backpacking tent
Sleeping pad
Cooler
Two jump starters
Pack
Calls
SD cards
Camera
Trekking poles
Extra Fuel
Pelican case
Binos
Spotter
Tripod
Backpacking tripod
Boots
Extra boots
Hat
Phone charger
Cam charger
Advil PM
Imodium
Water
Jerky
Pepperoni
Almonds
Cheese
Diet Pepsi
Bang drinks
Hunting gear tote
Hunting clothing tote
Empty totes for other gear

Always in the vehicle
Wera 1/4” drive set
Plug kit
Window wash
Silicon Spray
Electrical tape
Zip ties
Gorilla tape
Air compressor
Medium Crescent wrench
Carpenters knife
Pliers
Needle Nose
Flat Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Snatch block
Shovel
Axe

A winch is awesome to have, I wouldn’t have a hunting vehicle without one and synthetic rope is a great investment.

dtrkyman

WKR
List, hah, I would just forget to put everything on the list anyway, then lose the list!

zacattack

WKR
For those who later stumble on this thread, here's the list from Remi's podcast:
  1. shovel
  2. tow strap
  3. jumper box
  4. tire plugs
  5. tire pump
  6. bottle jack
  7. high lift jack
  8. tire chains
  9. wood block (protecting for high lift jack, putting under tire to install chains, etc.)
  10. gas can
  11. chain saw and associated fluids (or a saw of some kind)
  12. jumper cables
  13. basic tool kit
  14. extra water
  15. something warm (e.g., blanket)
  16. fire starter
  17. leather gloves
  18. first aid kit
He numbered 20, so I must've not written down 2 of the more obvious ones
Flares maybe? I listened to it a while back and can’t remember anything that’s not on your list.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
a come-along is something i dont see listed

also make sure u have rental car insurance on your auto insurance, just incase, even if u have to add it for the trip and remove it a few weeks later when u get home

Fuses that fit your vehicle and your camper if you have one. It's amazing how screwed you can be without the right fuse.

As far as a radio, if you are a HAM, or if you like CB, it's not a bad idea, especially to communicate with others in your party.