Compressed puffy

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I need to replace my sanctuary for whitetail hunting. Love the coat and it is super warm but bulky and I’m not a fan of carrying it around. A puffy is a lot easier to carry but too noisy for a whitetail outer layer I think? If I compress a puffy under a quieter outer layer is it still going to be warm?

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I have a First Lite Chamberlin and the Sanctuary. I've worn the Chamberlin under it and at least for me it doesn't compress too much and is super warm. Both of my pieces are XL...

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I've had no issues with the FL unpronounceable being too loud in the whitetail woods, fwiw. It's not dead silent, but I've had no issues with critters getting close and tight while wearing it.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I need to replace my sanctuary for whitetail hunting. Love the coat and it is super warm but bulky and I’m not a fan of carrying it around. A puffy is a lot easier to carry but too noisy for a whitetail outer layer I think? If I compress a puffy under a quieter outer layer is it still going to be warm?

Puffys require loft in order to maximize their warmth. For example, lots of companies make quilts rather than sleeping bags because when you sleep in a bag, your weight compresses the bottom making it essentially useless for warmth. Quilts lack a bottom so that you can theoretically cut down on weight but have the same weight.

So to make a long answer short, compressing a puffy will affect its warmth but depending on how compressed it is it can still provide plenty of warmth.

Edit: quilts lack a bottom so you can save weight but have the same warmth* however, this is theoretical, I’m not a big quilt guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had no issues with the FL unpronounceable being too loud in the whitetail woods, fwiw. It's not dead silent, but I've had no issues with critters getting close and tight while wearing it.

That’s odd because I stopped wearing my uncompahgre because it compresses too much under my rain jacket. I now use the kelvin lite for early/mid season for this reason.

I also think the kelvin lite is warmer in general.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I do think it's warmer as a outer layer I've worn my puffy under a soft shell. I have shot a few does during archery season when my SKRE ptarmigan was the outer layer.
278389d2b262bec4db0339afb2d53512.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
That’s odd because I stopped wearing my uncompahgre because it compresses too much under my rain jacket. I now use the kelvin lite for early/mid season for this reason.

I also think the kelvin lite is warmer in general.

Just my observations. It's plenty quiet for the whitetailed critters, and I don't wear it under anything.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Just my observations. It's plenty quiet for the whitetailed critters, and I don't wear it under anything.

Oh yeah I don’t know why I quoted you, my bad. I love my uncompahgre, I wear it around town all the time. The fit is great, it looks great, it cuts wind well, and it is the quietest puffy I’ve encountered other than the kuiu Kenai.

That being said, I prefer the warmth of the kelvin lite.