Compressed sleeping bag. How long?

Luked

WKR
Been working on going through all my gear. I don't leave for CO till the 16th.
Which has me wondering.
How long are you comfortable letting your sleeping bag stay compressed in a stuff sack.
I have the Kifaru Slick bag and the stuff sack for it. Am I good to leave it compressed for almost 2 weeks?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You’ll be fine

Just realize that you should pull it out of stuff sack and fluff it (and preferably let it sit for a while) before crawling into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Agree with the above, but full disclosure, I get really really antsy about it around 3 days. More so with synthetic insulation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're leaving on the 16th why would you put it in the commission sack already? Compression is what kills synthetics quicker than anything

Sleeping bag is usually the last item to get packed for me, and that goes into compression usually the morning I'm leaving or the night before.

They're too expensive to risk otherwise. I'm sure an extra day or two probably won't hurt, but it isn't like its a big ordeal to do it right before.

ytlogger

FNG
Just reminded me... I was about to head out for sheep last Tuesday morning, when I woke up with Covid-19. Guess I better set it free.

Never knew this myself. I only keep it stuffed when necessary (hiking in, traveling). Otherwise I keep it in my storage back to decompress.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly didn't know anything about this sort of thing until a few years ago, and being from the east, expensive sleeping bags aren't a requirement for 99.9% of camping here. That said, most people here use cheap synthetic bags and keep them in a stuff sack year round. Before knowing any better, I left my 0 degree synthetic bag compressed for 4 years once, and it still performs as expected. So, I'm curious, how much performance do you actually lose with extended compression?