Compression fracture recovery

Has anybody dealt with a spinal compression fracture? In late october i fell out of a ladder stand climbing down, i broke the 3 points of contact rule. I got a T-7 compression fracture and minor fractures on T5,T10-12. So im about 3 months in and finally started looking on the internet about other peoples experience and i cant find anything relatable. Its almost all in older folks. Im 27, non smoker and am pretty heathy and in good shape so its not a good comparison.

Id say everythings been getting much better. I for the most part followed restrictions but its just about impossible to not break some of them like bending over or lifting no more then 10lbs. We just got a puppy new years day shes 20lbs and i do lift her a bit. That hasnt bothered me. But then ill be bored out of my mind and do a puzzle and thatll make me hurt towards the end of the day on my shoulder blade mostly.

Im mostly curious how it affected anyone else long term and doing stuff like carrying a heavy pack or running. Thanks for any insight

Bl704

WKR
I have.

30% compression of T6 and a bunch of open fx spinous processes (up to c7) from a motor bike wreck. Misdiagnosed on original xrays (scapula and collar bone hood the fx, and attending radiology request was apparently poor) and didn't really heal right.

If the doctor has addressed (plates, rod, fusing, what ever) such that you have no long term risks (all him if you're unsure), it's just time to heal. Dr told me T6 is about the area of your spinal cord that controls breathing, so any vert North of that you need to ensure are healed and get the Dr clearance before heavy, risky or potential dangerous activity is resumed.

For me, it was already mishealed...Doc gave me many warning signs to watch out for... I did have chronic pain and otc advil for decades.

Fast forward ~32 years of pain.

I dropped from ~240# to ~180# for my 50th and worked on (cardio, endurance and) strength (core, rear chain and shoulders)... Pain subsided (I still have arthritis in my back, but it's nothing by comparison). My reward was my first elk hunt.

I'm 56 now... I bow hunt regularly and have packed fairly heavy packs (maybe a bit less than 130 max) of elk, moose, deer. I'll train up to 80# in the pack leading up to elk season with my hikes of 7-15 miles.

For now heal, ask questions of the Doc, get good advice. You can beat it!

PS I ran a 5k in my 50th yr, but don't run as much any more...more from knee pain than back.

Kobudo

FNG
I compression fractured my L1,L2, and broke my coccyx at 32. 50 now, and feel great. When released, core exercises are great. Stay flexible! Kettlebell swings and yoga, and ruck walks work for me. It's mentally hard to not do anything while recovering, that's for sure. My back hurts less now than it did when I was in the Army, so that's good. Just keep chugging along!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
WI in the west
Thats good to hear, next week will be my three month appointment. Id say its definatly much better but with the pain i get from being slightly hunched over doing stuff it kind of worried me that it might stay that way. The doctor wasnt concerned but i was expecting it to improve since my last appt 6 weeks ago.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I compressed my T3-T6, with the T6 taking the brunt after a motorcycle racing incident. I came down like a lawn dart at 93 MPH (per the data logger....). I walked away from the crash, never lost concussion, basically felt like it knocked the wind out of me. The track EMTs looked me over, but nothing was visibly wrong at the track.

Took myself to the hospital, which showed the compression fractures. Stayed in the hospital overnight, but never needed surgery. Was in a brace for 3 months and lost about half inch in height. Did a bunch of PT during the period and very much took it easy. After 3 months I was feeling good, but made sure I had a longer recovery (I was 44 at the time).

I'm not 3+ years out, mountain biking, dirt biking and generally living normal.

if you having any questions, PM me.

Marble

WKR
I haven't broken what was described, but I have had some pretty serious injuries and been around a lot of guys that have been hurt worse. The few things I can stress from what I've seen is:

Have a good doctor. If you have to travel,then travel.

Follow the advice from said doctor.

Be an advocate for yourself when it comes to physical therapy. It literally can change your life. So whatever you have to do to complete it, do it. People say they can't afford it or their schedule is this or that. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a solution.

You most likely will never be normal again. But that doesn't mean you will not be able to the exact same stuff you've always done. The biggest indicator success in these situations is the patients willingness and drive to heal and live life.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody dealt with a spinal compression fracture? In late october i fell out of a ladder stand climbing down, i broke the 3 points of contact rule. I got a T-7 compression fracture and minor fractures on T5,T10-12. So im about 3 months in and finally started looking on the internet about other peoples experience and i cant find anything relatable. Its almost all in older folks. Im 27, non smoker and am pretty heathy and in good shape so its not a good comparison.

Id say everythings been getting much better. I for the most part followed restrictions but its just about impossible to not break some of them like bending over or lifting no more then 10lbs. We just got a puppy new years day shes 20lbs and i do lift her a bit. That hasnt bothered me. But then ill be bored out of my mind and do a puzzle and thatll make me hurt towards the end of the day on my shoulder blade mostly.

Im mostly curious how it affected anyone else long term and doing stuff like carrying a heavy pack or running. Thanks for any insight
I did an endo on a mountain bike, went over the handlebars, off a bridge, and into a creek bed headfirst. I had a bunch of compression fractures in c5 and c6 and an avulsion fracture. I ended up with some nerves that were temporarily compromised due to swelling. Some nerves function never fully came back. It was about 25 years ago and I was a senior in high school. I was really fit, may have saved me.

It took about a year to pretty much get back to normal, but it hurts everyday. I used to have somewhat frequent muscle spasms in some of the muscles that were impacted by the nerve issues. Certain stuff, even simple and easy tasks that require my neck to be at a certain angle still hurt like hell. It hurts to carry a heavy pack for a long period of time. Sometimes it flares up pretty bad - if it is bad, I might have to sleep sitting up for a few days. However, I am still pretty active. I just have to listen to it. Use the right kind of pillow, minimize big impacts, ect.

Like everyone says, get a good doc and do physical therapy. The neurosurgeon for the Pittsburg Steelers and Christopher Reeve's doctor consulted my doc on my neck and I did therapy for quite a long time. I think it made a difference.

In my late 20s, I was able to do whatever I wanted - jump off of shit on skis, ride a mountain bike, climb, ect. Other injuries have slowed that stuff down, but you can come back strong from some pretty serious spinal injuries. It just might hurt a bit more than it hurts other folks.

And stick with it. It might periodically suck, but with bad injuries, the human body continues to heal itself for years.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. 30% compression vertabrae. (I don't remember which one. But where thorasic and lumber meet) 1988. Treestand collapse. 3 days in hospital. No surgery. Out of work 3 weeks. I had major issues for ~ a year. It takes a long time for recalcification in area of void.

Long term- I had good days and bad days. As the years have gone by, most are good. But very susceptible to agitation. I have found that getting and staying in shape has been huge for me. (Most of my set backs occurred in late winter after going polar bear!)

The good news. (At least for me) I picked up running. (Although I no longer do ultras or marathons) Since my overall fitness has improved, I continue to do well. I have hunted elk at least 10 seasons. Packed out 3 bulls.

Keep your eye on the mtns! This can help you through the rough days. Good luck.

OP
WI in the west
Curious to what you guys think to look for when deciding if i have a good physical therapist. I start tomorrow, so im not sire what to expect. Ive never had to do PT so i really am not sure whats is signs i have a good one or bad one. Thanks

Make sure they are attentive. I've had some that gave me 5 minutes worth of exercises then disappeared for 25 minutes. They need to listen to all of your feedback for each exercise, and push your limits a little bit without making you feel like you are going to re-injure something. You'll probably just be doing a lot of stretching and working on range of motion at first.

I'm a surgical nurse and do a lot of spine surgery. Sounds like you're healing great! I think you're doing a great job listening to your body.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. 😊