Compression Sack

jags

FNG
Recently picked up the Marmot Sawtooth 15 deg bag. Anyone recommend a good compression bag and what size for it? Thanks

Kenai

Lil-Rokslider
I would just use the stuff sack it came with. No compresson. Or if you want a lighter stuff sack replace it with one. With down bags over compressing them will destroy the down fibers degrading the bags warmth over time. How long that is depends on how much and long it's compressed.

With that said if you are talking a few times a year it will probably be fine as long as its stored properly when not in use. Granit Gear, Sea to Summit and kifaru all make light weight compresson sacks.

If your looking for a smaller compressed package look for bags in the 800+ fill range.

Last edited:

Ozz08

WKR
There is no Problem with compressing good quality down bags for short periods of time (i.e. hikes in and out). You just don't want to keep it compressed for weeks or months. I called western mountaineering a couple years ago about this very thing when forked out the cash for my first down bag. They told me I could compress the down bag as tight as I wanted to for short periods of time with no ill effects to the down. When you set up camp just get the bag out and give it time to loft again. The tighter you compress the bag the longer it will take to regain its loft but it will regain it every time. Actually the fibers in a synthetic bag are more likely to be damaged from compression than down is.

OP
J

jags

FNG
Yes I know not to store it in a compressed state, mostly just curious what size of a compression bag others have been using for their bags to reduce bulk for packing.I see there is a number of different sizes on the REI site.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use either eVent compression sacks or OR dry comp sack to put my sleeping bag, extra clothes, and sleeping pad in. Keeps it dry even when the pack gets wet or submerged even. Just don't wanna risk my down bag getting wet when out on a hunt a simple slip on a creek crossing could ruin your day to say the least if your bag and clothes get soaked. I also like the OR dry comp sack as it double as a small day pack since I don't run the XTL lid on my Kifaru packs as well as being 100% waterproof. At 12 oz the OR isn't super light, but I find I like having a lightweight daypack away from comp when my bag and clothes are stowed in the tent and i need to go filter water and what not. Much comfier and holds more than the XTL lid while still being waterproof.

eVent compression sacks: http://www.bentgate.com/evcosabyseat.html?AdID=337--291
Outdoor Research DryComp Sack: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-drycomp-summit-sack

OP
J

jags

FNG
Thanks guys.

I do have the regular length bag and I like Luke's idea on putting clothes etc in with it so may just get the larger bag now that I think on it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Extra pair of socks, my base layers if I'm not wearing them, and my puffy coat and pants all go in the same sack as my sleeping bag and pad, keep it all dry in once shot. :D

Lawnboi

WKR
I really like my event compression sacs. I usually use 2. One always stays with my bag. The other holds all my extra clothing and anything else i want to throw in it. Nice thing about the event is you can continue to push air out till theres almost nothing since air will permiate the fabric. Yet it is still waterproof which is important to me.

I would really like to try the kifaru stuff sacs, i like the concept. The event sacs definetly give you the 'bowling ball effect'
Only thing that scares me w/ the kifaru is not being waterproof, i know the material is waterproof but its the seams. Although im sure it could be seam sealed just like thier tents.

cmeier117

WKR
Have you or anybody else that owns these tested out how waterproof they are?

There not water proof at all. They have no roll top closure. But you could get a sea to summit nano sack or Granite gear uberlight sack and put over it for less than an ounce.