Compression stuff sacks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I want to pick up 3-4 of these but I’m unsure what brands I should be looking at.

I’d like to find one for my hilleberg tent, clothing, rain gear etc just to help make room in my pack.

I’m not really into the kifaru sacks but I guess they are a possibility, Im sort of phasing kifaru out of my gear Arsenal.

Thanks!!!

Rob5589

WKR

Some info here that I ran across. There is also a thread in the diy section on making your own cuben fiber sacks, if interested.

Edit: Actually the diy bags are in the "lightweight zone" section.

Last edited:

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
Got a few of the sea to summit compression dry bags, probably a bit heavier than a stuff sack but they get my quilt size down a lot.

Only downfall is they are then rock hard and you need to fill the gaps with loose items

Kifaru for sleeping gear and sea to summit for clothes for me.

My kifaru medium has a 20* bag, sleeping pad and ground cloth in it on most trips. The circumference compression makes it a great fit for the bottom of the pack. Very little void around it to fill. The clothes go in next in the sea to summit and then I pack around those.

Mosby

WKR
Exped has a nice waterproof dry bag with side compression. I bought one for my new WM sleeping bag and come in different sizes. I like side compression for larger gear going into a pack. I also prefer waterproof for anything down. Gossamer Gear has stuff sacks on sale right now if you are looking for more of a stuff sack for gear.

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
I am not a fan of compression sacks.

1. they are heavier then normal stuff sacks
2. they create a rock hard ball that cannot conform to space in your pack.

I like using the lightest dry bag I can find in a size that still allows the item(s) inside to stay flexible. I can create a small package that still has some give to conform to the spaces in my pack.

Just bought a few more of these when they went on sale.

https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/outdoor-gear-dry-bags/products/ultra-sil-dry-sack

zip_1.5

Lil-Rokslider
I don't typically use them however I normally keep a sea to summit waterproof compression for extra set of clothes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
outdoor research has a wide variety of stuff sacks and dry bags, some with compression and some without

I've got a half dozen that have been on the job for 5-6 years and still going strong