Computer for editing

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shopping for a new computer, hopefully a laptop, with a primary use of photo and video editing. I have a Sony RX10 IV (thanks to reading this forum) and several Go-Pros and would like to start making some short highlight videos of fishing trips on my boat as well as doing some photo editing. I’m an amateur in every aspect but I am a quick learner and do not want to have to upgrade later. So, what is your ‘buy once, cry once’ recommendation?

revcwood

FNG
Not a computer "expert" by any stretch, but I do editing for work about every day now. About 18 months ago I got a MacBook Pro. Before that I used (and still have at home) a PC that I built up for editing. Current machine is a MBP 16 inch with 1 TB hard drive and 32GB ram. I have the 8 Core i9 processor, because the new M1 chip hadn't come out yet. I run the Adobe Suite with no issues. My brother has a less "powerful" MacBook Air with the M1 chip and loves it - I believe its even faster than my machine, but with less storage because of physical size. He also runs Final Cut Pro, because initially Apple optimized it to run on the M1. I still use my home PC from time to time, but prefer the MacBook for editing.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Revcwood.
What are your thoughts about the MacBook M1 Pro versus the new M1Pro Max for the new MacBooks released on Monday?

revcwood

FNG
I really couldn't speak to those as I basically stopped researching when I bought mine. After 10 minutes reading specs on apple's website, here are my 2 cents (please ask someone who really knows more than I do). As a general rule - I like to have things "overbuilt" in terms of processing speed. It seems to me though, that I would be totally happy with the M1Pro and not spend the extra $1k on the ProMax - yes, its "faster" but I am not sure how that would translate into anything noticeable with what I currently do.