Concealable pistol or folding rifle for lion/bear hunting

My work allows me to spend lots of time in the woods. For various reasons that I won't go into, I'm not able to carry a full-sized hunting rifle with me when I'm working. I'm interested in getting something small enough to conceal in my field pack, but powerful enough to harvest a lion or black bear. I saw a Keltec Sub2000 today and liked how compact it folded up, but I'm not sure about 9mm as a hunting caliber. I'm wondering if a scoped pistol would be an option, but I have absolutely no experience with handguns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
C
I wouldn't touch a KelTec if you paid me. You could get an AR pistol.

Chambered in 5.56/.223? Or something larger? The area where I'm at is extremely steep and brushy - it doesn't lend itself to blood trailing - so I'd like as much stopping power as possible.

WCB

WKR
.223 would work with a good bullet...you could also go with a 300blk. A TC pistol might not be a bad idea...shoot standard rifle calibers also.

OXN939

WKR
Chambered in 5.56/.223? Or something larger? The area where I'm at is extremely steep and brushy - it doesn't lend itself to blood trailing - so I'd like as much stopping power as possible.

Pistol caliber carbines like the Sub 2000 are pretty anemic in terms of making one shot kills on big game animals. I'd go with a breakdown single shot rig in a common rifle caliber. Something like this comes to mind, as long as you could fit it in your field pack. If that's too large, then the TC pistol above would be your best bet

hodgeman

WKR
Are you talking about harvesting a critter as a target of opportunity or defense against these critters?

You could get a Thompson Contender or Encore in a bunch of calibers. That Katydyn carbine looks sweet and when broken down, would easily fit in most packs. A regular pistol version would work as well but handgun hunting isn't something I'm too familiar with.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Pistols are unimpressive for taking down game. If you legit think you may need it I would go with a Glock 10mm or something similar. If it's just for peace of mind carry whatever you enjoy shooting. I've killed a few deer a bear and a mountain lion with various pistols. Each and every time I was surprised how the animals absorbed the fatal shot.
20151113_101057.jpg

I couldn't believe the distance this doe covered after a 30 yard shot with a hot bear load from my 44 magnum. Same was the case for the other animals.

I pack a Glock 10mm when lion hunting with my hounds. I shot a lion with a 9mm, it worked but the 10mm was a mandatory purchase after that experience. The 10mm does great work.
That said, if I were going to kill a bear with my dogs, I'd want a rifle for a bay up scenario. Anything over about 50 yards and the rifle has a big advantage. Depends on the scenario you'll be using it in.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s been many years since I hunted lions, probably....wow, 17 years?

Anyways, I used a Ruger sp101 in 357magnum.

22lr

WKR
For something rifle like, Rem is making those 700 chassis pistols with a folding brace in 308, 6.5CM, 300 blk and 223. Probably one of the better and more compact options for a larger repeating "handgun." Do the paperwork for a SBR and with a legit stock you have a really nice compact 200-300 yard gun. They are essentially a 10-12" barrel rifle with a brace stock and they run detach mags if that is your jam. If that isn't your jam, a few people have mentioned the contender frame guns, those are very capable frames and probably the best single shot option on the market. But there are tons of 16" barrel options out there that you can run a folding stock on. Run a folding stock, find a brake/flashhider you like and then have the barrel cut back and a brake pinned on. They make super handy closer range guns. The folding stock AR-15s are an great option as well, but you can get smaller/more compact running a bolt or single action with the shorter barrel.

For a revolver, those S&W 460s or 500s are pretty legit rigs. Running a scope and bipod (or with a good rest) there is no reason it's not a 150 to 200 yard gun. If you roll your own ammo you can really squeeze out the max performance in these guns.

choovhntr

WKR
Browning also makes a takedown version of their blr. I always thought one in a 308 would be a cool gun to throw in a pack. If you can find one of the old blackout edition models, the barrel is 16” instead of 20 as well as a shorter butt stock for an even smaller footprint. It kinda funky looking with all the rails and flash hider on it, but it makes for mounting a scout rifle scope to it very easy If one wanted that option. They also used to make an option with 18.5” barrel and no flash hider. With the longest half being only 18”, it’s not much bigger than a TC contender or rem xp 100, but you get a full size rifle and 4 round mag.

OP
C
Are you talking about harvesting a critter as a target of opportunity or defense against these critters?

This would be for hunting/harvest, not defense.

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone. The Remington 700 CP/Pork Swords look ideal. With a folding stock and a bipod you wouldn't be losing much versus a full-sized rifle. I'd love to build one with a stainless action and barrel, since I live in a coastal environment where corrosion is a huge issue. I think for now I'll pick up one of those TC Encore Pro Hunters, since they come in stainless and can be found used on the cheap.

Thanks again!

Just right carbines makes a take down ar style clone in 10mm that packs down to 17inches ..I've got one in 9mm and they shoot well

gearguywb

WKR
Piton/brace something of that nature in 300BO should be about ideal!

With a can on it, even better :)

mcseal2

WKR
They aren't particularly light, but with good bullets a Sig 556R or Ruger Mini 30 with a folding stock would fit the bill. The 7.62x39 with the right bullet is close to the 30-30 in power, and it would certainly do the job. No need for a large magazine, a small Magpul plastic one would help keep weight somewhat limited.

I have a Sig 556R wearing a Trijicon 1-4x scope with the triangle reticle that doesn't lend itself to precision shooting. Even with that hitting a 12oz can at 100 yards from a rest is easy, and 50 yard groups are under 1". It's an accurate rifle, just limited by the optic and trigger at longer range.

FWIW I have a 9mm Kel Tec carbine also. It functions well with good quality magazines when it's kept clean. Shoot 150 rounds without cleaning and it will start acting up.

I've read that polymer will flow under pressure over time. I sold a Kel Tec SU-16C because the scope's point of impact would consistently shift over time. I'm guessing this was the issue. The rifle was accurate, but it couldn't be put away for a long time and relied on to hit the same place when it came back out. That scope is now on the Sig 556R and has had no issues. I'd personally avoid putting a red dot or scope on anything with a polymer rail after that experience. That SU-16C could work but would not be my choice.

Handguns are harder to learn to shoot well. I'd be comfortable at 50 yards with my Sig 1911 10mm, but I can't shoot my G20 that well that far. I'd prefer the takedown rifle if it was for hunting and not defense.

All that said, if I was buying something new the Chiappa 44 mag carbine would be an easier packing and shooting option. I'd likely look for one of these on Gunbroker. The 44 version is much lighter than the 45-70 version. A red dot or scout scope can be installed if desired.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
Got to thinking, if deploying it quickly isn't an issue a standard lever action carbine like a Rossi 16" 357 or 44 might work too. They are much cheaper and the butt stock comes off with one screw. No scout scope mount like the Chiappa, but more in line with the Kel Tec on price.