Concealed carry, how and what?

Ruger LC9 is my go-to CCW. Method of carry depends on the situation. If I'm wearing a jacket with interior pockets, it just goes straight in a pocket. Otherwise it's either in a Vedder Kydex IWB holster or 5.11 holster undershirt.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks guys. Tons of great info to look up and digest.

I own a Glock 43 now with a 7rd clip and an even smaller S&W 380 with a 6rd clip. The latter is very small and fits in a cargo pocket easily. I think I just need to buy a few and get used to carrying in different ways depending on what I’m wearing and the occasion.

I don’t live in a bad area but it’s growing. I don’t venture to the ATM late at night or anything dumb arse like that and try to be aware of my surroundings but I’d rather packing heat and not need it then...

How concerned are you guys about someone going after the gun you’re carrying?

Some of My friends carry and I can’t tell but then I’m not a bad guy looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
I have watched all the videos. To each there own. I carry true small of back, not 4’oclock. Mine runs right down the crack of my butt. I agree that shooting yourself anywhere isn’t good. But I feel much better doing how I do it. But I also know everyone has their own feelings, so do what you will.

I hope you don't ever slip and fall straight back on your back. I mean that with all due sincerity and zero snark. A fall like that, landing on chunk of steel has a very strong likelihood of seriously screwing up your back/pelvis/tailbone. I get being uncomfortable with the idea of appendix carry, i.e. pointing a loaded gun at your family jewels, but small of back carry, while better than no gun at all, has sooo many downsides.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Tons of great info to look up and digest.

I own a Glock 43 now with a 7rd clip and an even smaller S&W 380 with a 6rd clip. The latter is very small and fits in a cargo pocket easily. I think I just need to buy a few and get used to carrying in different ways depending on what I’m wearing and the occasion.

I don’t live in a bad area but it’s growing. I don’t venture to the ATM late at night or anything dumb arse like that and try to be aware of my surroundings but I’d rather packing heat and not need it then...

How concerned are you guys about someone going after the gun you’re carrying?

Some of My friends carry and I can’t tell but then I’m not a bad guy looking.

If you carry appendix it's almost impossible for someone to take your pistol. Just lean forward a bit and it's locked in there.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I hope you don't ever slip and fall straight back on your back. I mean that with all due sincerity and zero snark. A fall like that, landing on chunk of steel has a very strong likelihood of seriously screwing up your back/pelvis/tailbone. I get being uncomfortable with the idea of appendix carry, i.e. pointing a loaded gun at your family jewels, but small of back carry, while better than no gun at all, has sooo many downsides.

Wish the fanny pack would come back

def90

WKR
As mentioned a few posts above, training is mandatory. I think I have found over the years that people that espouse ideas that appendix carry is dangerous, or you shouldn't carry with a round in the chamber, or some other nonsense are also people that have not had a lot or any structured training. Take as many tactical handgun and if you have a rifle tactical carbine classes as you can. As you learn and become more proficient with handling firearms and just being around them you will become more comfortable with what the realities of what the real dangers of carrying are vs most of the garbage you read online.

In the end, what is the best carry gun? The one that you can shoot and manipulate the best. What is the best carry position? The one that achieves the fastest and safest draw times for you.

Last edited:
I hope I don’t either 😊 I believe I will be just fine though.

bdg848

WKR
You want to be able to get a full grip on the gun. A larger gun is far far easier to shoot quickly and accurately especially for a casual shooter. I carry a glock 19 which shoots great and conceals well. I do not wear baggy clothes and i'm only 5'11" 165 pounds and it hides just fine. I am considering switching to a glock 48 or 43x for a slimmer grip and more comfort but keeping that full length grip.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Full size 1911 most days strong side OWB in a Bullard dual carry with a spare mag on weak side. Sig 938 in a sticky pocket holster or another dual carry occasionally, spare mag in pocket.
Been carrying a 45 for 30+ years that way - don’t even notice it much.
I’m 6’3 180 or so and IWB carry is uncomfortable at best - no padding much.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I plan on doing some intensive weekend training with pistols. I’ve done several for knife defense in the past but want to get more proficient with hand guns.

KSP277

WKR
I read the original post and skipped to here. So if I’m repeating something, sorry. This is a rabbit hole that has no bottom. There’s endless good options of pistols and 37 holsters for every one of those.

Skip the .32s and .380s, plenty of 9s out there that are just as concealable and have little more horsepower behind em.

I carry all day everyday and yet to find a holster that’s perfect. Have several that are great and they work well. G-code has been really good for me, and I haven’t shopped around since I bought from them.

I’d stay away from the cheap flimsy thin kydex, lots of good kydex out there for few more dollars.

It will blow your mind how dirty your holstered pistol will get if you carry it religiously. Hair, lint, fuzz, dirt, you name it. I’m not sure how but it does. You go too long with out a little cleaning and you can’t see the front sight for the dust bunnies. Barrel will be full of em too.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Train train train practice some more.

Don’t get too caught up in appendix vs anywhere else. They all have pros and cons.

TheGDog

WKR
If you're willing to consider a .380, definitely checkout a Sig P238 lil mini 1911! Was THEE easiest slide to rack! That was important for me to ensure that Mama would be able to work it if she had too. (When I purchased it the idea was for Mama to get a concealed carry license because in her prior work they had her going to remote sites for HR duties, typically firing someone, hence the reason I had concern) Also if the piece may have to be used by your lady, get the Hogue rubber wrap around grips. She complained about it being rough on her fingers when it just had the stock Rosewood grip panels on it. That thing is VERY accurate for such a small barrel! Once you figure out how to shoot it right with your larger hands, it's beautiful single-action trigger and nice large chunky night-sights. You can really draw it and drill-down on a target with a mag-dump in nothing flat!

Just slide it into a DeSantis sticky pocket holster and there ya go.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
99% of people are gonna have issues getting a round chambered and the safety off during the 1 second of adrenaline fueled chaos if they ever really need their concealed handgun.
That's why I carry a glock with a loaded chamber and a trigger guard holster.
It's not "cocked".
No added bulk, no way for clothing or debris or anything to get near the trigger.
Your "safety" is keeping it holstered and your finger off the trigger. Not to mention it has a "trigger safety"
If you ever need it you just draw and pull the trigger.
K.I.S.S.

Im sure .5% train enough to be able to chamber a round and take off the safety but the rest of us who don't make training our constant hobby are better off with less to fiddle with in an emergency.
I also don't want to give the bad guy any extra time to attack.

TheGDog

WKR
Just so we're clear... the P238 is always cocked-and-locked. And she knows it's "down to drown" (A phrase I borrowed from Motos, referring to the choke. But in this instance meaning swipe down with her thumb on the safety) when it's go-time. That's done simultaneously while drawing it.