concerned about sparks burning holes in my tent.

JPD350

WKR
I've burned a few holes in my Sawtooth and I have an extra ft of pipe, spark arrester and damper.
My fix, I turned the stuff sack inside out and cut 1/4" circles out of the extra fabric edges then dabbed a little Aquaseal on the circle and stuck it on the inside of the hole then put a little Aquaseal on the out side of the hole. Super clean patch!! Also do a tight pitch on the tipi before you patch it.

Gamme 8

FNG
Strange. I’ve spent around 150 nights in my Davis wall tent over the past 12 years. I’ve burned wood almost every one of those nights in my Davis Summit stove, with a spark arrestor. There’s not one hole in my tent’s canvas roof.
I looked into the Davis Tent stove after reading this post, and now I am pretty fascinated by this stove. It is not a “Pretty stove” but wow they designed it with some utility aspects that are impressive, and can explain you not having burn holes in your tent after 12 years. Again, as far as aesthetics go the spark arrestor looks so cheesy, yet as far as functionality goes OMG it FINALLY looks like tight enough mesh, I have been rolling my eyes for awhile at how loose the meshing is on almost every hot tent stove that I see. The Nomad View for example is so pretty!! But look at its spark arrestor, it looks like you can squeeze a freaking golf ball through it!

Also unlike a pretty stove like the Nomad View with its gorgeous transparent gas…these Davis stoves have a very conveniently installable and replacement baffle that causes efficient reburn. I have seen a reburn baffle on a tent stove before (the RBM Caminus stoves), however the Caminus baffles are fixed, you can’t replace it if it warps over time. Hell I don’t even think you can get a good look at it.

Damn the Davis stove baffle is a simple replacement accessory, and a reburn baffle is one of the most likely failure points over time in a wood stove because they take so much direct heat. I’m really impressed with this simple & sweet pure utility stove! So I just watched the video on the Davis baffle, the lower plate is HUGE, it’s blocking the primary combustion a lot…much larger than the removable baffle plate on the Pomoly titanium stove (relative to its size). Although I will give credit where credit is due at least the Pomoly has a removable baffle plate. Nomad doesn’t. Gstove doesn’t.

Damn I’m half tempted to buy one of these ugly bastards just because of how impressed I am with it…yet I probably won’t because I already bought one that is a bit higher end with secondary burning.

I've spent lots of nights in wall tent with stoves. Hot embers burning holes in your tent is a big problem
You will never have a burn hole in a wall tent if the pipe comes out a wall, or end. And it makes the roof a lot easier to tarp......

IMG_1924.jpg

Gamme 8

FNG
You will never have a burn hole in a wall tent if the pipe comes out a wall, or end. And it makes the roof a lot easier to tarp......

IMG_1924.jpg
Yeah I would need to buy another tent, my tent is a dome and stove jack is directly up in the ceiling of tent. I talk about not getting burn holes in it with the right stove, but it’s just fun talk, I REFUSE to have a stove in this tent because it’s awesome and I don’t wanna damage it. I will either buy other budget hot tents that I don’t care too much about getting burn holes into…or like you say buy another hot tent with a stove jack in the wall for horizontal exit instead of vertical. I don’t consider it a waste to never put a stove in my dome hot tent because there are so many things that I like about the tent that have nothing to do with it’s hot tent capability.

Gamme 8

FNG
I always buy stuff I'm afraid to actually use, too.....
Total rookie move, I hate when I learn about factors that I should have considered after I already bought something, however in this case it is a pre-order that I could still cancel if I want, but after thinking it over I still wanna keep the order because the tent checks so many other boxes. And wow that is really a great point that you make, something that will help me to make one less rookie mistake if I decide to also buy a wall canvas tent, how you can easily tarp the roof if the pipe exit is setup on the side wall!!