Concerns flying with guns under todays political climate

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if anyone out there is having concerns about flying with guns under todays political climate and cancel culture; I certainly am because it happened to me in the past. I used to fly on 2 to 3 hunting trips a year from the mid 80’s until about 2000. Then family and work took over and I couldn’t get the time for a long hunt. I am retiring this year and have 2 hunts booked in the next several years and plan on many more. What concerns me is what happened to myself and several hunters on one of my last trips. When going through baggage check we had 2 guys (baggage checkers) verbally harass and mock us to no end regarding our guns and hunting. They held us up and we almost missed our plane. There was little we could do since they were in control and no one else from the airline was around. We were concerned about what happened and were sure our guns would never arrive at our destination or if they did they would be damaged. In the end all arrived, but 2 arrived a day late so those guys borrowed guns for the first day. This was over 20 years ago and things have become more extreme from what I see. I can’t imagine, with todays cancel culture, traveling through Newark, Philly, Chicago or Denver with a rifle case. I know after that trip many of the guys I hunt with started driving for all their hunts or ship their guns ahead If flying. Some continued to fly with guns and several had damaged guns similar to what I’ve seen on some of the posts on this forum; gun barrels protruding through the side of a gun case. Sorry, but I have a hard time not thinking guns are targeted, since in all my travels I never witnessed a damaged suitcase but heard of plenty of gun cases. When I’m spending $30+K on a trip of a lifetime I don’t want it starting off on a negative note. On my trip to NW Territory I had already planned on driving since I can do it in about 35 hours, avoid the airline hassle and see the scenes along the way. I had planned on flying for my Yukon trip since that just seemed like an insurmountable task from the east coast. So, just wondering if anyone else has had any of these concerns or am I over thinking this. If it hadn’t already happened to me and others I know I probably wouldn’t be giving it very much thought. Have things with the airlines gotten better or worse. With businesses deciding they don’t want to do business with people because of their political or other beliefs it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the major airlines decided to not allow anyone to fly with guns. What are your thoughts?

ODB

WKR
Unless you’re hunting in or around DC I wouldn’t even give it a second thought.

Not my experience. I flew out of Dulles with a rifle once and a shotgun a second time in 2019 and the Delta folks were super helpful. Both times I was helped by an Indian guy who knew the process very well and was concerned with providing good customer service. He literally told me he would stay with me throughout the entire inspection/x-ray process to ensure everything was to my satisfaction.

Oddly enough that was NOT the case coming back through Spokane where the inspecting Delta rep had an attitude and would not listen to me when I said I did not want the case opened outside of my presence. She was a Class A Bitch.

MattB

WKR
I wouldn't sweat it, but on the flip side it is always good to understand if there is a loaner gun in camp in the event your rifle case is delayed/lost.
Oddly enough that was NOT the case coming back through Spokane where the inspecting Delta rep had an attitude and would not listen to me when I said I did not want the case opened outside of my presence. She was a Class A Bitch.

I Spokane an airport that has the TSA baggage screening behind closed doors? I know a lot of guys only want their case opened in their presence, but that isn't something that can be accommodated at all airports.

MattB

WKR
Not my experience. I flew out of Dulles with a rifle once and a shotgun a second time in 2019 and the Delta folks were super helpful. Both times I was helped by an Indian guy who knew the process very well and was concerned with providing good customer service. He literally told me he would stay with me throughout the entire inspection/x-ray process to ensure everything was to my satisfaction.
This is what Htm84 was referring to, but I presume this will have passed by the time we are flying internationally to hunt again.

Major airlines banning guns in checked bags to D.C. airports (msn.com)

I wouldn't worry about it.
Buy a real case they can't break.
Use non tsa locks so it cannot be opened without your presence.

Don't tell people your a hunter. Wear plane clothes and if they ask why your traveling with a gun tell them them your a military contractor.

I wouldnt worry about it. I have flown with my rifles and shotguns several times. As stated get a strong case and use non TSA locks. Carry a copy of the TSA rules that state only you may have the key or combination. Due however carry TSA approved locks just in case you come across someone who is insistant in you having them. Better to have them vs having a missed flight by trying to find them. The only issue I had with flying was coming back from BC. It was in minneapolis US customs and they were not too friendly at all. I had a 4 hr layover waiting for my final flight home and they decided 45 min prior to boarding they needed me to open my case up and take a look. I had to go all the way back through security then with a bag full of MTN goat meat. Thankfully the TSA guy in security was a hunted and got me through quickly. they wouldn't let me watch them "inspect" the rifle. Not much you can due except give up the key and walk away. In the end was all fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I've seen it both ways. I've had several agents that almost made me late for my flight as we were sharing hunting stories and I've also had agents that very forcefully threw my rifle case on the counter while I stood there watching them and they demanded that I come back behind the counter to verify that the rifles were unloaded. So thusly, only in my most desperate situations do I fly with weapons any more.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
We fly a bunch to hunt and will continue to do so. Flying through New york, DC, Jersey, heathrow and California can be problematic if you are not checking your luggage all the way through. Such as flying southwest then getting your baggage and rechecking international. Always use NON-TSA locks and have copies of the airlines and tsa policies. Counters are hit and miss as to if they know the policies and procedures and their attitude. I have had more good agents then bad though. Also a bunch of beto, hillary, biden, coexists and so forth stickers function as camo in todays climate. So do musician stickers. Do they help who knows. Cant hurt though.

ODB

WKR
I wouldn't sweat it, but on the flip side it is always good to understand if there is a loaner gun in camp in the event your rifle case is delayed/lost.

I Spokane an airport that has the TSA baggage screening behind closed doors? I know a lot of guys only want their case opened in their presence, but that isn't something that can be accommodated at all airports.

Yes, at the delta counter it was in the back.
TSA rules say the owner must maintain control of keys at all times. If I hand the keys to some yokel and they disappear...I don’t even know my gun is still in the case....

At Dulles, after they X-rayed, I specifically asked if I could repack them other items because they were packed very specifically, no problem.

once I brought a browning hi-power pistol through Dulles (years ago). I very slowly open the case to show the agent and stepped back. I said, “do you want to check that it is unloaded?” She said “I don’t know nuthin’ about those things!”

in closed it up and rolled on...

I’ve had other security experiences at Dulles that really scare me...

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Some good input here. For the record my incident was pre 2001 so there was no TSA and everything was “at the discretion” of the agent. So with TSA rules things may have actually gotten better. I was using a Kalispell Aluminum double rifle case with their black canvas cover and is probably what I would use again for flying. I also have an old Browning case that was indestructible. It was like todays Pelican cases but weighed about 25 lbs empty but probably could have driven over it with a fork lift with no damage. The weight was always a problem when flying

ODB

WKR
Some good input here. For the record my incident was pre 2001 so there was no TSA and everything was “at the discretion” of the agent. So with TSA rules things may have actually gotten better. I was using a Kalispell Aluminum double rifle case with their black canvas cover and is probably what I would use again for flying. I also have an old Browning case that was indestructible. It was like todays Pelican cases but weighed about 25 lbs empty but probably could have driven over it with a fork lift with no damage. The weight was always a problem when flying

for the record i use the pelican and will only use the pelican. I added metal to the inside lock tabs and use 4 locks.

Rob5589

WKR
I recently flew from CA to NV and back with a pistol. Each flight was extremely easy; fill out a card, stick it in the case, enjoy your flight. The agent couldn't care less at either airport. Being a locked box in a suitcase is less obvious of course.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's generally an easy process and is 100% legal. With the gate agents & security I always try to "kill em with kindness" & be very polite even though on the inside I'm thinking they are complete idiots and maybe they are judging me for being a hunter/gun-owner. Whatever, I don't care, I just want to get to my destination.

The new DC area temporary bans are concerning and I hope that doesn't spread to other areas or become permanent. I've flown out of Dulles and Reagan National a number of times and it's been fine. Both of these airports are in VIRGINIA, not DC.

Probably as easy as it has ever been right now. I am a hunter and I while I don't flaunt it I sure don't hide it. I'm a paying customer engaged in a legal activity. I own it, 100%.

Always remember that we are exercising our rights. Engage. Educate. Always with consideration, and always with the confidence that you pursuing an important part of the American Dream. You might be surprised by how many people wish they were you. Plus imagine all the sweeties looking at you, wishing their cucks were real men. :)

Never a problem at the airlines, BTW.

Last edited:

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have flown multiple times in and out of LaGuardia in New York with long guns and never had even a whiff of a problem. There are the usual forms to fill out and inspection of the gun in its case, but airline and airport staff were nothing but helpful and courteous. No attitude or hassle whatsoever. I've had more trouble flying with fishing rods/reels than guns.

WCB

WKR

Actually the guns can't be opened without the owner present. You lock the case before it goes through the scanning process.

its not just guns. I watched thru the plane window as a baggage handler took my guitar case and threw it 15 feet at the roof of a bag cart. It banged off the roof and skidded across the concrete. Then he picked it up and body slammed it into the cart. I complained and the attendant made a note. Good tough case... the guitar was not hurt. Most people are good natured an do their jobs, and you just have to count on that. Some people are jerks so zhit happens.

dtrkyman

WKR
Print a copy of the Airline and TSA regs. for the process and rules of traveling with a gun. At some point you will run into someone who has no clue, will not admit that and try and impose their own rules!