Condtioning your new boots

peterk123

WKR
Just one waxing session or do you guys do a couple when you first purchase your boots? Just put the wax on my wife's and mine Beartooths. Wow, do they look different! Actually kind of badass. My wife's pretty burgundy cuffs and tongue are a deep brown, like the rest of the boot :) Thx Pete

Put them on a Peet Boot Dryer for a few hours. Helps the wax work into the leather. Do another coat and the boot dryer again. I'd do it two or three more times. It really helps.

Not sure what you used but Obenauf's and Montana Pitch Blend have worked the best for me. Either one is fantastic.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
Put them on a Peet Boot Dryer for a few hours. Helps the wax work into the leather. Do another coat and the boot dryer again. I'd do it two or three more times. It really helps.

Not sure what you used but Obenauf's and Montana Pitch Blend have worked the best for me. Either one is fantastic.

I am using Hoffman's conditoning wax because I already had it. I think it is pretty much the same stuff that Schnees sells. Thank you. I will do another coat.

Not positive now but a few years ago when I got my Beartooth Mids Kurt recommended nikwax paste wax because they use a vegetable tanned leather and not oil tanned. The previous pair I used montana pitch blend and it didn’t seem to last that long. Nikwax lasts longer for me. I was very skeptical at first because typically nikwax wears off after a few days but on my Beartooth Mids it lasts really well. Maybe 2 applications will get me from September through November and I hunt 40 plus days a year with plenty of rain and snow.

the Hoffman’s is obenoufs in their container

xcutter

WKR
I usually just start with one coat. The first coat is just to start getting the leather more supple. I put another coat when it looks like they need it from there on. I use Kenetrek Boot Wax on my Schnee's boots.

Aviator

WKR
I usually use obenoufs but lately have been using Oregon trail boot wax it goes on a little easier than obenoufs.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
Thanks guys. This was my first time doing this, kind of fun. I can't believe how the nubuck transformed into a smooth leather. It looks great and has been put through its paces a bit through some wet snow. I also rubbed in the nikwax for waterproofing.