Conflicts with Illegal Aliens

Serious question guys: Have any of you had any encounters with border crossers in Arizona? I just watched a video where Brady Miller of GoHunt described this very situation while on a Coues hunt.

BuzzH

WKR
Yes....drug runners. A group of maybe a dozen all younger males with the same packs. Had the border patrol number on speed dial turned them in. Helicopter showed up in about 15 minutes and they caught a few of them. Smuggling hard drugs not pot. According to bp probably heroin or meth as they all had a brick each of whatever they were smuggling. Have seen a few lone crossers and 2-3 a few times as well. Usually see a few at the give up towers too.

There’s a comment on here somewhere where two guys were out coyote hunting with archery gear and a group of illegals carrying AK’s came walking by super close but never saw them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted down there in AZ and NM quite a bit. I have seen lots of sign, but never had any encounters. Keep the BP # handy and give em a call if you see anything suspicious, pick your camping spots and parking spots with avoiding encounters in mind, lock everything up and be aware of your surroundings and you shouldnt have any issues.

Marble

WKR
Not with any cartel types but I've had my share of issues with local white boys.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yes....drug runners. A group of maybe a dozen all younger males with the same packs. Had the border patrol number on speed dial turned them in. Helicopter showed up in about 15 minutes and they caught a few of them. Smuggling hard drugs not pot. According to bp probably heroin or meth as they all had a brick each of whatever they were smuggling. Have seen a few lone crossers and 2-3 a few times as well. Usually see a few at the give up towers too.
It's all the same money men regardless of the type of drug.

Murdering, rapist, pedo, scum.

wyosteve

WKR
Funny you ask. On my way back from aoudad hunting in Feb., ranch road extremely isolated area. Barely breaking daylight when I came around a bend in the road and saw something black laying in the ditch. Thought someone took corner too fast and smacked a cow. Got closer and it's an illegal laying in the ditch half covered with a black tarp. Black clothes, black backpack. He never moved when I went past so don't know if he was dead or sleeping. I certainly didn't bother to stop! No cell service so couldn't contact Border Patrol.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I was down in 36a in S AZ this past Dec for a coues deer hunt and saw alot of sign in the washes and dry creek bottoms but no UDAs. After the hunt was over, I drove around 36b for a morning and ran into a group of them being rounded up by CBP. Hardly saw any CBP presence in 36a but they were all over 36b. It was night and day.

I was down in 36a in S AZ this past Dec for a coues deer hunt and saw alot of sign in the washes and dry creek bottoms but no UDAs. After the hunt was over, I drove around 36b for a morning and ran into a group of them being rounded up by CBP. Hardly saw any CBP presence in 36a but they were all over 36b. It was night and day.
36A is handled by Tucson while 36B is handled by Nogales. Management in Nogales does a better job at doing their true core mission than the management in Tucson. The Arivaca checkpoint, run by Tucson, is shutdown and dismantled.

Jacack

WKR
Years ago. I would guess 10 or more two of us were calling predators down in AZ.

Naturally we were camo and well hidden, we had just got settled and hadn't started to call when my buddy noticed movement coming sure enough we had a few illegals with what I assume was a coyote go past at about 10 yards.

We let them pass and didn't call from that spot.

Another time we had a helo just come check us out and moments later border guys in foot who advised us to leave that area due to some activity the night before.

I hunt near the border several times a year. I also know several guys who guide down there. Lots of observations and thankfully not many interactions.

Every single time I am down there I see fresh sign. I glass up northbound traffic with some regularity. Actual face to face encounters are very rare as long as diligent.

Treat hunting near the border like you would in grizzly country. Take reasonable precautions and accept the remaining risk. Most want to avoid you, some are just crazy, and others are no threat as long as you just don’t surprise them.

Folks like to talk about being in hunting shape. The best mountain hunter has nothing on the best drug mule. It’s impressive watching a group go straight up and over a mountain without using a trail and without any rests.

Was hunting javelina solo and things went Western in a blink of an eye. Eventually got BP on-site and had to explain the situation. Spoke with a BP friend after the fact and the group was a well known gang from Central America. Was a bad situation.

The border is still safer than several liberal Utopias such as Chicago.

Last edited:
OP
Hoosier.270
I hunt near the border several times a year. I also know several guys who guide down there. Lots of observations and thankfully not many
Every single time I am down there I see fresh sign. I glass up northbound traffic with some regularity. Actual face to face encounters are very rare as long as diligent.

Treat hunting near the border like you would in grizzly country. Take reasonable precautions and accept the remaining risk. Most want to avoid you, some are just crazy, and others are no threat as long as you just don’t surprise them.

Folks like to talk about being in hunting shape. The best mountain hunter has nothing on the best drug mule. It’s impressive watching a group go straight up and over a mountain without using a trail and without any rests.

Was hunting javelina solo and things went Western in a blink of an eye. Eventually got BP on-site and had to explain the situation. Spoke with a BP friend after the fact and the group was a well known gang from Central America. Was a bad situation.

The border is still safer than several liberal Utopias such as Chicago.
I liked your comparison to grizz country. I’m surprised to have so many helpful replies, because I have no idea what to expect on my deer hunt down there. I deal with a few crazy rednecks when I’m Whitehall hunting back east but nothing like what I hear from my buddy in Laredo BP.

I liked your comparison to grizz country. I’m surprised to have so many helpful replies, because I have no idea what to expect on my deer hunt down there. I deal with a few crazy rednecks when I’m Whitehall hunting back east but nothing like what I hear from my buddy in Laredo BP.
Don’t let the imagination run too wild. Spend a few brain cycles on how to handle a few different situations and go hunt (stay diligent).

I love southern AZ. Should be a great year for deer due to all of the rain.

Are you doing OTC or did you draw a tag? What unit and time of year are you hunting?

OP
Hoosier.270
Don’t let the imagination run too wild. Spend a few brain cycles on how to handle a few different situations and go hunt (stay diligent).

I love southern AZ. Should be a great year for deer due to all of the rain.

Are you doing OTC or did you draw a tag? What unit and time of year are you hunting?
It’s actually part of my 2022 plan. Most likely OTC archery late season

Yes please elaborate if you don’t mind. Would love to hear your story.
I've had all kinds of issue to point I'm done hunting STX and Mexico, especially now with Central And South Americans coming across.

Good friend is 7th generation rancher, he moved his family into town specifically because of the BS. Wasn't safe to leave them at the house alone any more.