Conquest HD Bino Adapter?

Rizzy

WKR
I got these new Ziess Conq HD about 4 months ago and there doesn't seem to be a "threaded hinge" (proper term?) to accept a bino mount. The outdoorsmans seems to be the only option, but its way overpriced. Any other options?

I'm really starting to lean towards making my own, there seems to be a lot of option when you google "aluminum pipe clamps", but would like to get some feedback first.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
I decided to drill and tap the hinge myself today. I'm not sure if I did in fact tap threads, it seems like the hinge is already threaded and there is a plug that either screws in or pushes in. The plug came out when I was done tapping.

If anyone else has these binos that plug that is in the 2nd pic might come out by pulling or unscrewing

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 115

AGPank

WKR
You guys are braver than I would be. I'd be worried any field modification may void the warranty.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
So far the mod works good. I had to fabricate a little spacer to tighten things up. Use what you already have!

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 75
OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Well let me stir the pot a little ;)
If the hinge is already tapped from the factory, then what exactly is tines up doing?

dotman

WKR
So I played around and mine is metal. Is the cap metal outer with plastic inner? I may have to figure out a way to unscrew it by creating a slot for a screw driver or just drill it out.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Yeah, the 2nd pic is a side view of the cap and a top view of the metal decoration that was glued on the cap. I still don't know if the cap was screwed in or pressed in though.
How have you been mounting yours to a tripod so far?

dotman

WKR
I haven't mounted them yet cause the current options are just too expensive, this opens up much cheaper options now :)

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
That's the same boat I was in, it was 8 months from the time I got them to using them on a tripod. I think I will send some of those pics to Zeiss to see what they say

HOT ROD

WKR
I am sure that is the outdoorsmans. A little to spendy for me. I was just wondering what dotman and Rizzy found out