Conquest/Nikon HG/Razor

golfbum

WKR
Looking in that 1000 dollar range.

10x42s

Have narrowed it down to these three

Plus and minuses of the above mentioned and which would you pick?

Matt G.

WKR
LLbean has the 25% off store wide and can use on the HG's so with taxes looking at around 800

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I didn’t love the Eyecups on the Leica Trinovid and for the me the Meostars are just to big and bulky. Not a great fit even if the glass is great

Forest

WKR
The hg has good reviews if your eyes can handle the field flattners. The conquest is a solid option i love mine, definately better than the razors to my eyes. Meopta and maven b2 are great options too. If i were to order a pair at that price range today id pick the b.2.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

I also think the Conquest was better than the razor in my eyes. I do not love the eye cups or the focus, but these were not deal breakers for me. Have not looked through the Nikon.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Thanks for the heads up on LL bean.

Seems like a great deal on a well reviewed set of mid range binos

Trial153

WKR
Th HG's get some stellar reviews from some solid individuals. I have not used them so I cant comment on them.

I had a very early version on the Razors and they were sent in twice for repairs. I finally moved them. The were ok when when they weren't broken. I wasn't impressed with the build and moved them along quickly. That said I think that vortex has stepped thing up in recent years in QC, however I haven't really given them a chance again.
I had a pair of Conquest In 8x32 That bought for a steal from redhawk rifles as "demo". The showed up and if they weren't brand new I couldn't tell. I used the for a season, couple of sept elk bowhunts, mule deer bowhunt in oct, then a month of whitetail hunt in KS and NY. I was very impressed with them. solid build, no issues with QC, clear edge to edge and good light transmission in the morning and evening. I kept them till I got deal on 8x32 Els and then I passed the conquest on to a hunting buddy that needed glass. He took those same conquest on caribou hunt a couple years later. We Used them a bit side by side with 12x Els and 10x SLCs and while I think my Swaros were better in most respects, the Conquests more the held their own and if you consider I paid 3 to 5 more the Swaros....the conquest were a steal.

RedHawk Rifles has Demo conquest in 8x and 10X for 750 FYI. They are sold company to buy from.

Last edited:
I own kowa genesis 8.5x44 & Nikon hg in 8x42. I personally feel the kowa view is just slightly better, brightness is same to my eyes. The kowa have more bulk than the Nikon without question. The view through the Nikon is really good, the Nikon are not as finicky with eye relief and placement. If what I’m hunting requires the best glass I own I take the kowa. If not I take the Nikon. I had a sheep tag this fall, kowas went every time. For elk and deer the nikon go with me. I’ve compared both to vortex razor, both surpassed the razor to my eyes

I looked at everything available between $600 and $1600 over the past 2 months. My pick was the Conquests, with the Monarch HG's a very close second. But you have to try them yourself to know. Your eyes are not my eyes and your hands are not my hands. There is no wrong answer on your list, so it really comes down to your preferences.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Meostar HD, only downside is the carry weight but the weight helps to steady the image. Rock solid with perfect focus speed. Great control of CA and plenty bright with true colors.

Zeiss Conquest HD- focus is too fast and it is too easy to go past perfect focus and real touchy, bright but leans towards the blue spectrum in the image. Eyecups are terrible and break with regularity

Nikon HG-the monarch binos historically do not have a very good track record in build quality, lots of problems also with eyecups . I think money is better spent elsewhere.

Razor- a made in china joke these days,sorry but no thanks.

I would recommend the current Swarovski SLC. Leica Ultravid HD or HD plus or the Zeiss HT Look for a deal on a lightly used one. Save a little longer till you can afford it.

Last edited:

OutdoorAg

WKR
If it was me (and I’ve been in your shoes before, looking for glass on a $1G budget) - Id hold onto my tokens and wait to find a used SLC HD for $1200-$1500. And that can be done here or other hunting sites.

The problem (IMO) with all three you’ve listed is the resale. Now if you’re a “buy and use and hold” kinda guy with your gear, then it won’t matter.

But if you enjoy trying new gear, different magnification, etc etc - then resale matters. And on the conquest, Nikon, and vortex - you’ll take an immediate 25-30% hit the moment you buy them. Even unused. I’d guess the nikons will hold value the least, just due to name alone. And the Zeiss likely hold value the longest. Also, due to name.

A used SLC HD...you could buy em for $1300, use them for years, and sell for almost the same. Like a free Bino rental.

Like I mentioned - I’ve been there, and until the resale market says otherwise, I’ll buy Swarovski. Even if it’s a slightly better view for a decent chunk more.