Conquest V4 Selection Help

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I came across the forum researching scopes for my new 300WM, I’m looking to setup a general purpose do most things rifle.

While I haven’t settled on them for sure I have seen the outpouring support for the Zeiss V4 line and have been exploring them further.

What I am looking for is help with decisions between models.

I’ve narrowed it down to the:

3-12x44
4-16x44
4-16x50

I was initially leaning towards the 3-12 but opened up to the 4-16 for the option of an illuminated reticle. Is the illumination worth getting the 4-16?

On the 4-16 is there much difference in performance between the 44mm and 50mm lenses? I’m leaning towards smaller and light which is why I’m not looking at the 3-12x56 but I am willing to make the bump for better performance.

Any recommendations on reticles? Most of my scopes are basic duplex. I have one mil dot but haven’t put much time behind it so I’m not married to any system. I could see myself dialing elevation and holding wind if able but wouldn’t mind the ability to hold both.

Thanks

I got a 4x16x44 V4 for my 300 Win mag, duplex, no illumination. Very nice scope, glass is bright, dials are solid. I don't see a difference in low light between the 44 and a 50. My other scopes ar 50's and my old eyes can't see a big enough difference to matter. The biggest issue I have is the short mounting area. Even with a picatinney rail I can't get the scope back far enough to have good clearance of the rail and achieve a good eye distance. I do have a bit longer LOP than average. It fits perfect on my sons Tikka 308 and the short action. It will work but I need to adjust my head to get it perfect, doable but my other scopes don't have that issue. I'm torn as I really like the glass and weight. Going to play around today and see if I can live with the issue!!!!!!! A solid scope.

Well I got it were it works! Had to mod my Talley Picantinney rail to get some more clearance. Cut the small overhang piece off the front. This is gong to stay on my 300 Win Mag. This is brighter than my Burris Veracity's, Bushnell Forge's, and older Leupold. The Burris Veracity's are awesome but FFP and my eyes just can't see the reticle at the low mags. My sons 7mm mags have them and they have no issues. Ahh to have young eyes again!!!!!!

I've made shots on elk at 505 and 550 yards and used about a 15 power or so. That's about all I will ever need. More mag and the site pic gets so small it's hard to use!

Hope this helps.

OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 4x16x44 V4 for my 300 Win mag, duplex, no illumination. Very nice scope, glass is bright, dials are solid. I don't see a difference in low light between the 44 and a 50. My other scopes ar 50's and my old eyes can't see a big enough difference to matter. The biggest issue I have is the short mounting area. Even with a picatinney rail I can't get the scope back far enough to have good clearance of the rail and achieve a good eye distance. I do have a bit longer LOP than average. It fits perfect on my sons Tikka 308 and the short action. It will work but I need to adjust my head to get it perfect, doable but my other scopes don't have that issue. I'm torn as I really like the glass and weight. Going to play around today and see if I can live with the issue!!!!!!! A solid scope.

Please report back after you play around with it. I had found the thread asking about mounting space on the 3-12 but your comment is the first I’ve seen on it being too tight.

I’m planning on Talley mounts instead of a rail so I may have even less flexibility.

Vandy321

WKR
4-16x44 was the sweetspot for my latest build. Fantastic optic for the $$. Main selling point for me was the weight over the 50mm. Was counting ounces but wanted illum still.

No issues mounting on a tikka t3x with no rail...tikka rings from hawkins, plenty of room. I would not say this is an unforgiving eyebox

Last edited:
You are correct. I only use Talley mounts. They did not get me far enough back for a good eye box. I have Browning XBolts and Talley does not make an extended 30 mm. My other scopes have plenty of front scope space to mount using Talley's. I can get away with the lows with the 44 but need the medium for the 50. It might work okay for you. I'm an engineer and get picky on my set ups....lol. My wife has another word for it.

Again the 300 Win is a long action, did not have the issue with the V4 with Talley's mounting on a short action.

This is the only rifle I use a picatinney on. I prefer the Talley's.

Vaultman

WKR
I have the 4-16x44. I have mine mounted on a Rem 700 with Leupold base rings, and it works for my LOP. I really like this scope. I have been a huge fan of Zeiss after I got my first one like 15 years ago. They are the best for my eye/vision, and defiantly the best in that cost range.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 4-16x50 on my 6.5 PRC with the illuminated ZMOA-T20 reticle. It’s been flawless so far after a year and a half of use. Glass is superb, elevation turret isn’t mushy when dialing, and the locking windage turret is a great feature. I’ll be replacing my old first gen VX6 on my .30-06 with this scope.