Cons of 2 pups at once

WRO

WKR
2 young male drahts is the plan? You found a breeder that thinks that is a good idea? If you let them figure out pecking order, you won't be hunting much but you will have a very good relationship with your vet.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You could neuter them both young and take 3 years plus off their hunting careers, if not be prepared to have piss on the every corner of your property inside and out, dogs you won't be able to hunt together for at least 2 years.

Get bitches of you're hell bent on having 2 at once.

Last edited:

slick

WKR
Cool, same theory..

The best drahts I've seen, won't out retrieve a mediocre lab or chess..

I've been exposed to several in the kennel and handled them in training. The ones with tons of waterfowl training, struggle a little bit on the upland. They tend to be very sharp and can't have kennel open time with the other dogs (fighters). They can be fantastic upland dogs, but don't rush the training. You cant teach them to find birds or how to pin down birds etc, only wild birds teach that. That's best started at a young age. The best teacher that they can't catch them is wild birds, when they learn that on their own it's better.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nobody brought up waterfowl centric breeds but you. Not sure how you even landed down that path.

OP- WRO's way is the only way.

WRO

WKR
Nobody brought up waterfowl centric breeds but you. Not sure how you even landed down that path.

OP- WRO's way is the only way.

Most guys who buy Draht's are looking for a dual purpose dog, hence my comment.

There's plenty of other ways to do it, lots work, some do not. Just offering my .02

We thought about doing that for about 15 minutes. A quick google search advised me against it. A quick talk to the breeder reinforced the google search.

We have 1 griffon pup. And holy crap, the energy level is out of this world. Two would be nutso!

WRO

WKR
I have 2 setters about a year a part, it's perfect for keeping them busy and entertained.