Considering a 2020 tundra....

axeforce6

WKR
Yea, I pick up and then it will be out next week having rock rails and bed liner sprayed in. I ordered a Diamondback cover and a set of Billy bars so hopefully that all gets here soon and I can get it all set up. Waiting on another extra rim which I ordered without seeing what the spare rim looks like. I was going to change out the tires but the Falken Wildpeak All-Terrains get really good reviews so I might as well run them and see how they do. I haven’t seen it yet as we been down at the shore the last few weeks. Going to drive home tonight and get it in the morning. I still am on the waiting list for a TRD Pro but they have no ETA for me and my dealer doesn’t have big allowance for the pro for this year. They treat me wonderful so didn’t go to bigger dealer and order one.
I may switch that order to a 2023 and see how things pan out. In the mean time I will be driving this..

1f6f224cbe5532436f931aa38597cd0b.jpg

427f61fdb07d51ed9f51eb7031e7dcf2.jpg

d77b61090823875e8e25bbf7d3d0cc28.jpg
I've thought about swapping my 2020 TRD PRO for a 22 but i'm not 100% sold yet. We do have a 2022 TRD PRO tundra in Solar Octane that's not spoken for yet. It'll land in Sept. Perfect timing for elk season. lol

I almost, almost get 8 mpg towing :) I probably average 13 or 14 not towing - city/highway winter/summer. I could get 17 hwy if I REALLY tried but it's hard to do. City - 11/12 mpg. I did size up the tires though

Broomd

WKR
I almost, almost get 8 mpg towing :) I probably average 13 or 14 not towing - city/highway winter/summer. I could get 17 hwy if I REALLY tried but it's hard to do. City - 11/12 mpg. I did size up the tires though
Yikes.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the towing mileage, averaging about 14.5 this Summer and that's with a truck camper and boat behind, or decent hauling, usually 4-5K #s of hay.
Bare truck delivering about 18.5 and up.

My wife drove it home from Yellowstone and got a legit 20.4 over that 1000 miles. I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't been the one hand calculating the mileage and filling up the truck.

Gotta keep the foot light. And by all means DO NOT change tire size. I went to an "E" rated-factory TRD Off road tire, but the set with the TRD alloys is only 4lbs heavier (in total!) than the factory Michelins/steelies. Tire size increases and lift kits kill the economy of these trucks,

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2211.jpg

axeforce6

WKR
I never ran factory tires on mine. As soon as it hit the lot I put a set of KM3's 285 70 18 on it. I average 13.5 with it.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
After owning several Fords, one Chevy, one Dodge, all brand new and 1/2 tons, I will never own anything again other than a Tundra, I’m on my second Tundra now… I converted half of my friends to Tundras as well, simply the best trucks I have ever owned.

RAPTOR

WKR
I had a 2017 platinum. The seats were uncomfortable, mileage sucked, and I felt like anything over 70 mph on the highway required too much driver input to keep in line. That engine and trans has been used since 2007, so Toyota pretty much has it dialed. I went back to Ford but the Tundra is a great truck if you like the seats and can get past the mileage.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
My bone stock 2019 TRD with 5.7 gets 13.5 mpg screwing around town, just the other day I went over 300 miles non stop (highway) and I averaged exactly 21 with the AC on the whole trip.

RAPTOR

WKR
My bone stock 2019 TRD with 5.7 gets 13.5 mpg screwing around town, just the other day I went over 300 miles non stop (highway) and I averaged exactly 21 with the AC on the whole trip.
Thats crazy. I never averaged any more than like 16 (hand calculated). With the turbo issues of the new ones, I wish they kept the 5.7 and went to a 10 speed. Mileage would improve and the engine is excellent.

gearguywb

WKR
The mileage is the one knock on them. That motor is awesome. I have had a couple in LC's and love them

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
Thats crazy. I never averaged any more than like 16 (hand calculated). With the turbo issues of the new ones, I wish they kept the 5.7 and went to a 10 speed. Mileage would improve and the engine is excellent.
I agree, I couldn’t believe it, I checked it on the trip home same thing, and this was from upstate NY to Maine so lots of hills, gotta keep the RPMS down and just let that 5.7 idle along at 55-60 is the trick I think.

ODB

WKR
Tundra? With a 5.7?

Yes. Mind you, I don't do stop and go traffic since I work from home, but I don't find it hard to get 17 and on long trips, like the one I took to vegas last year, I was at 21.

@ADKHTR is spot on. I drive with the fuel economy gauge showing versus the MPG in the center section. Pay attention to that and it will show you how to drive the truck for max MPG.

@RAPTOR I too, wish they tried the 5.7 with the 10-speed

Tmac

WKR
My 19 CrewMax has been flawless. Loads of room and power. Really like it. Does well off-road given its size, tows well, and adults ride comfortably in back.

12-13 mpg around town, 14-15 combined, 17-19 freeway at 68 mph. Went from factory 32” tires to 33.2” tires then added a hard tonneau cover, one pretty much offset the other mpg wise.

Only warning about 2019 - 2021 Tundra’s is they use a small puck for both tranny warming and cooling by routing some radiator fluid through it. So if you tow tranny temps can get very hot very fast. Must use the tow/haul button. Also make sure to get the 38 gallon tank.

Knowing what I know now, I’d look for a low mileage 16-18 with the 38 gallon tank. Reason is those years have the large tank available and had a more capable tranny cooler.

I love my '12. It's a beast! I will second the if I knew then what I know now on the year. I didn't know about the 38 gallon tank when I bought my '12, if I had I would have gone for a 17'. You can swap them into the older trucks, or get a Transferflow 46 gallon tank. I'll be adding the factory 38 gallon tank when it comes time to replace my fuel pump. It's on my parts accumulation list.

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
After looking for a new truck and owning a Dodge diesel for the last 14 years that went 220K with minimal repairs. I bought a brand new 2022 Tundra. The only reason I didnt buy a 21 was the small bed and over size back seat. The 22 is better proportioned. I got the TRD off road package. It was considerably cheaper than a comparable Ford or Chevy and the 14" screen is out of this world. I have black box that allows me to stream netflix, google, youtube basically anything. On long trips that alone was worth it....for my passengers of course.

Trial153

WKR
Is that a 2 wheel drive? or is that truck's stock height pretty low for a 4x?

Na it plenty high for stock truck, I wouldn’t want it any higher and I going to put rails on it to make easier to get in an out of. I wouldn’t lift but I may have leveling kit installed.