Considering a Multi-Caliber rifle, Thoughts?

rootacres

WKR
So I have a custom built 7mm WSM, I originally built it as a coined "do-all" rifle (lower 48). So I took a bull this last fall, everything went to plan. I am considering getting a different barrel for it now, most barrel builders don't offer a 7mm WSM. So that got me thinking. The platform is a bighorn origin SA so keep that in mind. I could own a 270 WSM or 6.5 PRC barrel for deer size game and smaller and then have a 300 WSM barrel for when I want to chase elk or larger animals.

Whats your thoughts? Is anyone else doing something similar?

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Just use the 7wsm for all that. Sounds like a pain verifying it's all dialed in every time you swap a barrel. Not a whole lot of difference between the calibers you mentioned except for the PRC. A 7wsm with 180s is a good balance of ballistics, recoil and energy.... just my 2 cents.

slvrslngr

WKR
Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. The 7WSM will handle anything you care to hunt, even the big bears.

EmperorMA

WKR
You will never see a difference in killing power between a 6.5 PRC, 7 WSM or 300 WSM. On deer or elk. Not one lick. The recoil difference will be noticeable between a 6.5 PRC and .300 WSM, though. That's about it.

I'd just keep the 7WSM. Great all-around cartridge that does anything the other two do.

My Savage started as a 338 win mag. I bought it for an elk hunt. But I swapped it to 7 mm Rem mag for deer. If I ever go for moose or big bears, I will swap it back to 338. Not enough difference between 6.5 - 7 - 30.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
I have a buddy with a Q fix. It’s cool, lightweight and I can see the appeal of a quick change barrel system but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. In your case, I don’t really see the point considering a 7wsm is capable of killing everything in North America. Also you can have any good gunsmith ream out a 7mm barrel for the wsm when you need a new barrel.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Switch barrel rifles should cover large swaths and have different needs to be useful. Like .300 Win Mag and .416 Rem. Generally speaking there are different uses for each of these cartridges. Otherwise, you'll end up with a barrel you never use. An example is my double rifle in 30-06 and .375 H&H FL Mag. I once built a takedown for a fellow in .338 Lapua and .416 Rigby on a Montana PH action. That was a sweet rifle.

I don't think any short action cartridge with mag bolt face lends itself to switch barrel. I'd just leave it alone. You're not missing anything.

Jeremy

hodgeman

WKR
The only place where switch barrel rifles really make a lot of sense is Europe where you're limited to the number of receivers you can own or adding a rifle is a huge PITA.

There's not enough difference between the 6.5PRC, the 7WSM or the 300WSM to even bother about..just shoot the 7WSM at everything.. If you want to shoot something a little softer at deer, I'd offer you're better off buying a reloading setup and loading some low power loads than swapping a barrel.

Switch barrels make more sense with calibers on either end. Like the original short mags- 6.5 Rem mag and the 35 Rem mag would definitely cover a broader spectrum. If I were to do a short mag duo now I would look at a 25 or 6.5 SST and a 338 SS for all NA big game

I like switch barrel rifles. I have a blaser R8. Everyone is making good points as far as if you are limited on the number of berrals you want to own then I would go opposite ends like I have 7mag. I would then go with maybe a 243 or 204r for maybe coyotes.
The best part about switch barrel rifles shine in the sense that no matter what barrel is on there the ergonomic of the rifle never changes. Length of pull doesn't change trigger weight doesn't change.
Like with the blaser. I can get a 22lr barrel for it to practice with and switch the barrel to what ever I want and it's like shooting the exact same rifle.

gbflyer

WKR
I have several rifles I switch barrels on. Some Savage with a nut, others shouldered. It’s a much less expensive way to shoot different calibers. Is it practical? Hell, I don’t know. Probably don’t “need” any of them. But it’s fun.

Gorp2007

WKR
I’ve got a Tikka that I’m going to rebarrel anyways so I can put a suppressor on it and I’m seriously considering going with a Criterion with a barrel nut. It would give me the ability to get into new calibers for $425, which is pretty enticing. I also move every 3-4 years and i don’t really want to invest in another gun safe.

Sled

WKR
So I have a custom built 7mm WSM

Whats your thoughts? Is anyone else doing something similar?

My thought is that it sounds like you want another rifle. The problem is you want another custom and don't want to pay custom prices and buy another high end scope. There are other options out there for you but switching barrels, DOPEing, verifying, etc would not be my first choice.

Good luck with your decisions

rayporter

WKR
yes a switch barrel will work. it is not a big pain to change out a shouldered barrel. just clamp the barrel in a barrel vice and unscrew to loosen it, then unscrew it and screw on the new barrel. after screwing the new barrel you put it in the vice and tighten it and your done. no gauges, just get it tight. takes 10 minutes tops.

you can get a lug alignment tool so you dont need to pin the lug. on customs with a built in lug it is a non issue.

barrel nuts may take a little longer an you need the gauges [ or a cartridge]

i have switched barrels on varmint rifles in the field and do it at home on a regular basis.

22lr

WKR
As stated above a few times, I think it makes alot of sense if you dont want 4-5 different recievers in your safe. My dream switchbarrel setup would be a 22lr, 243win, 30-06, and a 338win or 375. But, pretty much not going to get such a wide range of options in a bolt gun or anything other than a single shot Encore. Would be super useful for hunters that travel abroad alot...

Since my dream setup isn't a reality, I stick to preaching the beauty of the 30-06 for all game big and small! :)

Spoonbill

WKR
As stated above a few times, I think it makes alot of sense if you dont want 4-5 different recievers in your safe. My dream switchbarrel setup would be a 22lr, 243win, 30-06, and a 338win or 375. But, pretty much not going to get such a wide range of options in a bolt gun or anything other than a single shot Encore. Would be super useful for hunters that travel abroad alot...

Since my dream setup isn't a reality, I stick to preaching the beauty of the 30-06 for all game big and small! :)
Blaser makes a rifle that would fit this bill. Not sure about the 22lr, but definitely for everything else you listed. Pricey, but hey it exists.

22lr

WKR
Blaser makes a rifle that would fit this bill. Not sure about the 22lr, but definitely for everything else you listed. Pricey, but hey it exists.

See, if I list the 22lr on my list of "needs" the Blaser doesn't fill the bill... which also means I can continue to talk myself out of spending that kind of money on a rifle system... ya gotta think about these things ya know... really helps keep my budget under control. ;)

To be safe I should probably add 12ga to my list of requirements...