Considering a new rifle

sram9102

WKR
Cool barrel burner hipster 6.5 PRC performs same as old trusty grandpa 270 Winchester. 270wsm outperforming 6.5 PRC. Just get rifle you like in more common calibers that perform same or better that 6.5 PRC.

The issue with 270 WSM is that most all of the factory rifle options limit you to shooting 130's to 150s. 1:10 twist is just not fast enough to push the higher bc bullets you need to compete with the 6.5 class of bullets. Don't get me wrong I have one and love it but it absolutely has its limitations. You can shoot 140+ bullets in the PRC and they will have caught the WSM in velocity by 500ish yards. Ballistics don't really compare with the two.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
A sub 6# maybe one day “750 yard” rifle?

How long/often/well can/do you shoot?

More importantly, what does 9mph 8 to 2 wind look like at 750?
What are you getting at here?
Are you suggesting that sub 6 lb rifles aren't suitable for 750 yard shots, or that 750 yard shots should not be taken?

The issue with 270 WSM is that most all of the factory rifle options limit you to shooting 130's to 150s. 1:10 twist is just not fast enough to push the higher bc bullets you need to compete with the 6.5 class of bullets. Don't get me wrong I have one and love it but it absolutely has its limitations. You can shoot 140+ bullets in the PRC and they will have caught the WSM in velocity by 500ish yards. Ballistics don't really compare with the two.

And they will have beat the 270WSM in wind drift at any distance with less recoil at at least as good of barrel life.

WRO

WKR
Hornady 145 ELD-X
Berger 140 VLD

The 6.5 BC's are much higher in every weight mentioned until we get to the 170 EOL which there aren't may barrels available for. I like the 270 WSM, but can't see a reason to buy one over a 6.5 PRC.

16Bore

WKR
What are you getting at here?
Are you suggesting that sub 6 lb rifles aren't suitable for 750 yard shots, or that 750 yard shots should not be taken?

No. I’m wondering why 6# is a magic weight and 750 yards is a magic distance.

But, “long range” gets a bit cynical.....

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
No. I’m wondering why 6# is a magic weight and 750 yards is a magic distance.

But, “long range” gets a bit cynical.....
This seems like trying to be difficult... but I'll bite. 750? It's not a magic distance but to set a goal/benchmark/whatever, you have to assign a value. If for some magic reason I all of a sudden miss every shot at 738 yds, so be it. But since I specifically was asking about PRC that seemed like nearing the ranges of the rounds efficacy for larger game. 6lb? I mentioned in the original post I would like this to be my son's rifle to learn on and hunt with one day so weight is something I'm caring about as you better believe he'll be carrying as much of his own crap as he can. Before he's old enough, may as well have fun with rifle myself and make it something different than what I've got.

Those new Weatherby Backcountry Tis......man 🤤🥴 doesn’t even begin to describe them lol.... I’m a Weatherby guy though I just bought a Vanguard Backcountry in .300 Weatherby.... in love is an understatement it’s my newest child.... if I could free up 3gs I’d buy that new Backcountry Ti in a heartbeat especially as a super light future high country rifle and I’m very interested in the 6.5 RPM and how it’ll perform. I really enjoy how passionate that company is for making a true Backcountry stud rifles.