Considering a Peep Sight for Hunting in the Snow

BigWoods

WKR
I've been carrying my Kimber Hunter (This one https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/kimber-hunter-in-6-5-creedmoor-let-the-project-begin.84790/) the past three seasons. It's amazing in hand, and the VX3 2.5-8 is very fast in my hands. The rifle is in hand all day when I'm hunting (Deer Tracking in New England) and on those snowy days hovering around freezing, the Scope struggles hard.

I'm currently debating between getting a backup peep for my Kimber Hunter ( probably an XS Weaver on Warne bases for the rear) with qd scope rings (Leupold?) or getting a peep sight set from Skinner for my Ruger American Ranch (in 7.62x39). Skinner is making a neat scout rail with a integral front. I could move the micro red dot forward to that and ditch it when in the snow (see the attached picture from their FB page)Screenshot_20201210-194730_Facebook.jpg. Sights on the Kimber would make for a very versatile setup and without a scope, weigh under 5lbs, which would be even more of a dream to carry. Downside to that is that I'd need new rings and be in close to $300. The Ruger Ranch on the other hand is very short, relatively light (under 6lbs) and just seems to be begging for a peep sight.
Help me think through this dilemma!

Also, does anyone who has put irons in their Kimber know a winning sight height combination that will get me in the ballpark?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
i’ve used XS rear peep 20 years. solid sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback on those! I looked at some Marlins set up with them the other day and really liked the sight picture. Probably not as precise at long distances, but very fast with a clean sight picture. My only concern with their low backup sight is that it might interfere with the Kimber's bolt when cycling.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I'd need more sight radius than that. Might do one of these if you could get a smith to install.

The sight radius is a really good point with the Ruger! Measuring off my rifle based on the picture, I think that's only in the 12-13" range. Leaning somewhat toward mounting sights on the Ruger, I'd probably go with something like Dove Custom's universal front sight that looks real sturdy but would get it out to the end of the barrel.

Those NECG ramps are really nice looking, and I'd seriously consider one for the Kimber. They are $$$ though! Stainless would be nice too.

wyosam

WKR
I’ve run a peep on my muzzle loader and on 1 center fire for just that sort of hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback on those! I looked at some Marlins set up with them the other day and really liked the sight picture. Probably not as precise at long distances, but very fast with a clean sight picture. My only concern with their low backup sight is that it might interfere with the Kimber's bolt when cycling.
It could, but I've found they have great service if you call in. I usually end up talking to Gary if I remember right, and he knows his stuff. Should have options for clearing bolt.

and as far as range? I've shot them to 300 yards. There's a pic of me doing that in muzz forum, one of the sticky threads at top on the Arrowhead Encore Upgrade.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
It could, but I've found they have great service if you call in. I usually end up talking to Gary if I remember right, and he knows his stuff. Should have options for clearing bolt.

and as far as range? I've shot them to 300 yards. There's a pic of me doing that in muzz forum, one of the sticky threads at top on the Arrowhead Encore Upgrade.
I looked that thread up; very helpful serries of pictures. That looks to be a very good rear sight option for either rifle setup... although I'd have to make sure I oiled it well 😁.
The taped front sight idea is also helpful .That's one thing I'm still scratching my head.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I looked that thread up; very helpful serries of pictures. That looks to be a very good rear sight option for either rifle setup... although I'd have to make sure I oiled it well 😁.
The taped front sight idea is also helpful .That's one thing I'm still scratching my head.
they send you test posts that do the same thing, but the tape just allows me to skip a step most of the time.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks for all the help thinking through this. The completed project and details on parts can be found over here: