Considering Casper, Wyoming

Hoping to learn about Casper, Wyoming. I'm considering a job opportunity there. I know that it is windy. How is the town? How is the outdoor recreation? I know that it's not all that close to the big mountains, but it looks like there is some nice scenery near town. How is access to public land for hunting and fishing? Would it be a good place for kids to grow up?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Don’t know much about living there, but spent a week in an AirBnB last October for an Antelope hunt. Myself and my teenage boys really enjoyed it. We spent some time in town checking things out. It is a cool place. They have a couple nice outdoor stores also.

You can be up hunting Antelope on public in 30 minute or South hunting Muledeer about the same time. Nice river for fishing also.

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to learn about Casper, Wyoming. I'm considering a job opportunity there. I know that it is windy. How is the town? How is the outdoor recreation? I know that it's not all that close to the big mountains, but it looks like there is some nice scenery near town. How is access to public land for hunting and fishing? Would it be a good place for kids to grow up?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

I’m a Midwesterner who is looking hard at Casper!! The problem is I am in B2B sales and haven’t yet seen an opportunity near there with comparable pay. Good luck to you, and keep us updated as I’d love to hear about your experience moving there if you do.

It seems like a great place with a low cost of living comparable to other western towns and it’s Wyoming! Phenomenal fly fishing right there in town and public hunting within 30, and you can hunt the wilderness areas! Man, I might have to start looking at the jobs board again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper is one of the larger cities in the state so of course the ills of society come with it. You can look at the community ratings for the town but I bet that overall it scores pretty good. I think there are a lot of good parks and recreation areas, schools are pretty good and good selection of businesses. Public Access should be pretty good. you might have to drive a little way to beat the crowds a bit but some big chunks of public to be had. Good variety of habitat so good for hunting and fishing opportunities. For the family it wouldn't be my top choice in the state but you could do a lot worse.

go_deep

WKR
Lots of good hunting and fishing within about an hour drive. I work there some, the town itself is good overall, definitely some areas I wouldn't want to live, but that can be said about any town. Yes, the wind can and will blow.
I moved here 8 years ago from an area that did not have much for wind, guess I'm use to it, but it definitely gets to some people.

jags

FNG
Pretty much what all the others said. It is fairly centrally located so good opportunities any direction and your not always having to drive clear across the state. Great fly fishing in the river. Lots of BLM/public land south of town between there and Laramie.

Lots of winter weather, seems every snow storm from either south or north catches Casper. And windy, electronic signs on the interstate routinely say 40-60 mph crosswinds but that extends all the way down to Cheyenne too. Can't avoid it in WY.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
If you have some specific questions send me a PM. I live there now and was born and raised here. I am a little biased but I’ve always been very happy here. The wind is real but you get used to it. Seems to come in waves, for a month or two you won’t even notice and then you get a bad stretch. Plenty of things to do outside, 2-3 hours to the big mountains any direction and a lot in between

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
It is definitely windy. As far as hunting there is a good amount of public land and access for hunting, especially to the west and south. Lots of Pronghorn around. Being centrally located its not terribly far to the Big Horns or the western part of the state. There is lots of good fishing nearby on the North Platte or Alcova and Pathfinder.

HOT ROD

WKR
We have been in Casper for 6 years we like it here... What every one has said is spot on... U need any specific send me a message...

grfox92

WKR
From what I understand Casper and Jackson are the only areas in Wyoming where the win was for Biden......

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
From what I understand Casper and Jackson are the only areas in Wyoming where the win was for Biden......

Teton ( Jackson) and Albany County (Laramie) actually. If you don’t think Universities brainwash our youth.

We would love to give Jackson to Idaho........ only good thing up there is our National parks.

grfox92

WKR
You understand incorrectly.
Good to know, that's what I was told. I visited Casper for a few days and didn't get a liberal Vibe so it makes sense that wasn't right.

grfox92

WKR
Teton ( Jackson) and Albany County (Laramie) actually. If you don’t think Universities brainwash our youth.

We would love to give Jackson to Idaho........ only good thing up there is our National parks.

That makes more sense. I live around Cody and it is feared by all the long time locals that we are becoming the next Jackson. I hope not.

jeffpg

WKR
I’m a southerner who gets around a lot. I enjoy my hunting and fishing every chance I get and always get out and do something outdoors regardless of the season.
I’ve worked a stretch or 2 of a couple months at a time in Cheyenne & Casper, among other places in the region.
Casper is a hands down favorite of mine. The general area lacks nothing for a guy like me.

EcoastDG

FNG
Spent 2 days in Casper on the way back home from Montana last year. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay there. I made friends with a herd of antelope that were bedded down 20 yards from the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center ( Weird name).