Considering First Kifaru; 1x Frame couple of Bags

pc3

WKR
Hi Folks,

Considering a Kifaru.........nearly bought a warhammer, maybe I should have it looked like a pretty allround solution from day pack to couple of days etc.

Anyway If I went the kifaru direction is it ok to have 1x frame and for most of the year use a day type bag, I was thinking Nomad 2 as I would hook up an eberlestock scabbard to the pals webbing. Essentially the warhammer.

And then for biiger trips have one of the fulcrum or ma duece, reckoning. hooligan etc (not sure which one).

The fulcrum COULD do it all BUT its missing the pals webbing to hook up a proper scabbard, see the nomad 2 or warhammer looks like the bomb for varminting. Spotter and tripod in pockets, scabbard hooked on to pals webbing.

I can't see where you could do that with the fulcrum.

In short I'd be changing packs on the frame 2 or three times a year from the day pack to larger model neither here nor there really.

For that I don't see the need to own separate frames for each bag do you folks agree ?

That would be an advantage of the kifaru over the warhammer you can change your packs on the one frame depending on your trip type etc.

Could the eberlestock scabbard hook up properly to the fulcrum if you wanted the one bag ?

Hard chocie between the fulcrum/Ma Duece when looking at the larger packs too.

Thankyou.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
1 frame and multiple packs is a great solution for changing the pack for different uses and seasons. Kifaru actually does exactly what your thinking its just not sold on their site (patent issues ive heard).

cast10K

FNG
It's not a terrible idea, but my AMR compresses so nicely as a daypack I'm not sure why I would ever take it off. Plus it goes from daypack to meat hauler with just a few tugs on the straps.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks cast10k......what is the AMR short for, don't recall seeing that one on their website. Is it now discontinued ?

cheers

GregB

WKR
The AMR is still there it is under expedition packs. The AMR is a great all around pack. I also have a woodsman I like to use when I have a base camp or for short trips.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am switching to dedicated packs for trip length using the same frame.

For 1-3 days I’ll be going with the 22mag with the Native. Add belt pouches onto the native as needed for stretching it to 3 days. Also with my 26” frame there is room underneath the 22 Mag to hold items directly onto the frame.

For anything longer I’ll be running the Ma Duece on the same frame. Adding native and belt pouches as needed.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks mxgs, that supports my plan.....you've opted for the ma duece and 22 mag, actually another combo I was thinking about.

Why the Ma Deuce for you over say the fulcrum ?

Im swaying towards Nomad 2 and Ma Duece..........maybe fulcrum. Nomad for the pals webbing to attache an eberlestock scabbard, I think the nomad 2 with scabbard and maybe another pocket would make a great varminting day pack.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks mxgs, that supports my plan.....you've opted for the ma duece and 22 mag, actually another combo I was thinking about.

Why the Ma Deuce for you over say the fulcrum ?

Im swaying towards Nomad 2 and Ma Duece..........maybe fulcrum. Nomad for the pals webbing to attache an eberlestock scabbard, I think the nomad 2 with scabbard and maybe another pocket would make a great varminting day pack.

I actually ran the fulcrum as a do it all pack. It’s awesome for compressing down as a day pack and then fully expanding for multi days. It really is a versatile pack.

I wanted to change to dedicated packs and wanted the option for something smaller like the 22 mag since I do a lot more 1 and 2 day quick trips out these days. Just grab the 22 mag and the native if needed and roll out. Then I have the Ma Deuece available for the long trips and heavy hauls.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I run a small belt pouch and leave it unzipped and stick the butt stock of the rifle into the pouch. Then use a compression strap to hold the rifle tight to the pack. Often times I just carry it on my shoulder as well with a nice comfy shoulder strap.

I carry a G20 on my hip belt for most trips, so I’m not worried about getting to the rifle as fast as something like a gun bearer or equivalent. Im gonna want to have to have the pack off for any hunting animal opportunities anyway. I don’t see the need to quick access to the rifle very often. I can have the pack off and rifle out in a few seconds anyway. Glock for self defense situations which I’ve only had to draw twice in 25 years of spending time in the back country.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
All of the information is very helpful, thanks folks.

I was thinking if you put a gun bearer on the fulcrum, wrapped the bat wings around it would be pretty protected/secure anyway on varmint hunts moving from one area to another.

You could probably nearly do it all with the fulcrum, it looks to cinch down to day pack mode very nicely, I dont think I have seen a picture how the Ma Deuce looks in day pack mode and if it performs that role better or worse than the fulcrum.

Back Country is different in Australia....we call it "outback" with heat/lack of water being the killer.

I would love to hunt the Back Country in North America one day.....maybe it will happen.

Mxg hope your self defence was for bears etc. not the two legged kind.....for a laugh see the you tube link below for the definition of a self defense nightmare in our "outback"........:)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
All of the information is very helpful, thanks folks.

I was thinking if you put a gun bearer on the fulcrum, wrapped the bat wings around it would be pretty protected/secure anyway on varmint hunts moving from one area to another.

You could probably nearly do it all with the fulcrum, it looks to cinch down to day pack mode very nicely, I dont think I have seen a picture how the Ma Deuce looks in day pack mode and if it performs that role better or worse than the fulcrum.

Back Country is different in Australia....we call it "outback" with heat/lack of water being the killer.

I would love to hunt the Back Country in North America one day.....maybe it will happen.

Mxg hope your self defence was for bears etc. not the two legged kind.....for a laugh see the you tube link below for the definition of a self defense nightmare in our "outback"........:)

LOL! That’s awesome. That’s so cool that you hunt the OZ outback man. I’d love to do that sometime!

Nope no big foots for me yet haha. Just two intense bluff charges from black bears.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 7,000 Muskeg and frame..great pack since you can run it in a day pack mode and the larger Option. I also picked up a cargo net and OG Lid. So for my Midwest-close to home pack I’ll run the cargo net and put whatever random shot I need in a stuff sack or similar bag to Throw in the net and run the OG lid over the top for accessible items that are needed and the a belt pouch on both sides of the belt buckle. Very versatile! I like the option with the net that I can pretty strap ANYTHING in there.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Its all great help folks. The more I look into the Fulcrum...the more I think it might do every thing I need.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks Zap,

Ill look into that one more as well. I can take my time. There is no rush.