Considering giving up night for day.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
This is my 6th season shooting coyotes at night. I have learned a lot, and enjoyed much success, made some new friends, and met some real ass-hats. This year has been good, but with fur prices low and the ridiculous amount of guys around me buying ATN’s and calling all around me, my enthusiasm for night hunting is wavering fast. There are is so much pressure that coyotes will run away from a e-call.

I have never shot a coyote during the daylight hours and have been considering letting my night equipment go and focusing on day hunting and being more selective of the coyotes I shoot.

Never tried night hunting only daylight. Now I don't have nearly the amount of hunting pressure after deer season closes you can pretty much get on most properties. I enjoy chasing them in the daylight but have found you have to sneak in closer to get them to commit to the call

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR
Never tried night hunting only daylight. Now I don't have nearly the amount of hunting pressure after deer season closes you can pretty much get on most properties. I enjoy chasing them in the daylight but have found you have to sneak in closer to get them to commit to the call

This - I have never night hunted, only day. But here in IN/IL If you call in one or 2 coyotes in a day - you’re doing damn good. The night hunting I have seen seems to be insane compared to the relatively slow day hunting.

But again - midwestern coyote hunting is nothing like you see on TV - or at least it hasn’t been in my experience.

This - I have never night hunted, only day. But here in IN/IL If you call in one or 2 coyotes in a day - you’re doing damn good. The night hunting I have seen seems to be insane compared to the relatively slow day hunting.

But again - midwestern coyote hunting is nothing like you see on TV - or at least it hasn’t been in my experience.
I agree with that absolutely

If your seeing educated coyotes at night, which isn't surprising this time of year, I wouldn't expect much success during the day. I also guarantee you are educating coyotes every time you go out, its just not everyone else!

I like it both ways. I do about equal amounts. I don't have a ton of time right now so just get to go occasionally. Don't much matter to me day or night. I enjoy getting out there.

Seems like everyone in my area wants to be a coyote hunter and hangs a call out the window of their truck. Then they shoot 14 times at a dog that is 400 yards away. Makes it tough for the rest of us for sure.

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
I jumped into the thermal game this year.

I never thought I would never ever spend that kind of coin for a "hobby".

All that was forgotten after the 1st couple of nights.

Now I'm pissed I waited all these years......

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Haven‘t jumped into night hunting yet, but coyote hunting is by far the most exciting hunting I’ve experienced, (I would imagine Calling elk would be this times ten), there is nothing quite like fooling a coyote and watching him charge your call.

KnightOwl

FNG
If your seeing educated coyotes at night, which isn't surprising this time of year, I wouldn't expect much success during the day. I also guarantee you are educating coyotes every time you go out, its just not everyone else!
This is my experience also....coyotes are one of the smartest animals and like owls can live anywhere incljuding cities and your neighborhood... use something too much they will learn and adapt every time..

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I jumped into the thermal game this year.

I never thought I would never ever spend that kind of coin for a "hobby".

All that was forgotten after the 1st couple of nights.

Now I'm pissed I waited all these years......
Opposite situation for me. After many years and countless nights hunting along with tons of money wasted I've come to the conclusion the overall quality of thermals being sold makes night hunting just not worth it.

I'll take it a step further and say thermal optics have all but ruined coyote hunting in my area.

Like the OP I'm thinking about hanging it up.