Considering moving to east side of Cascades, looking for thoughts from folks that live there

TheCougar

WKR
I’m retiring from the military in 2 years and my wife and I are trying to figure out where to go. Options are anywhere within a 2 hour driving radius of SLC, Denver, Phoenix, or Seattle airports. I’m familiar with the first 3, but I’ve never been to Washington. I don’t want anything to do with Seattle, and I’d like to be on the east side of the Cascades for the weather (my wife is solar powered). Yakima might be a bit far, based on the drive to SEA-TAC. What is the area like? How are the people? What kind of recreation is there for hunting and fishing? What else is there beyond hunting and fishing (Skiing, biking, etc)? What other sage words do you have for someone who is considering moving there? Appreciate any thoughts you have on the area. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Look in Cle Elum or Wenatchee for eastern Washington that would fit the bill for distance. I have a lot of a family in Yakima and I would look at Cle Elum and Wenatchee first.

ODB

WKR
Will you need to fly a lot? You ain’t gonna make SeaTac in 2 hours from Wenatchee.

If it were me, I’d move right to snoqualmie pass. When the snow is good you can get on the lift first and be back home sipping hot chocolate before the masses arrive. We’d be on at 9 and leave by 11 - easy. Want to go west - you’re 45 minutes ahead of Seattle. Heading back east after a holiday trip? You’ll avoid the long downhill from snoqualmie past north bend and the dreaded rt 18 madness.

You’ll still be close to Seattle (and you should go because you’d be a fool not to; the dim sum is worth it by itself), but not have to always deal with the traffic. Plan your trips town opposite the other people....go INTO town on holidays when most are headed out.

Or you can move to logan utah.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Will you need to fly a lot? You ain’t gonna make SeaTac in 2 hours from Wenatchee.

If it were me, I’d move right to snoqualmie pass. When the snow is good you can get on the lift first and be back home sipping hot chocolate before the masses arrive. We’d be on at 9 and leave by 11 - easy. Want to go west - you’re 45 minutes ahead of Seattle. Heading back east after a holiday trip? You’ll avoid the long downhill from snoqualmie past north bend and the dreaded rt 18 madness.

You’ll still be close to Seattle (and you should go because you’d be a fool not to; the dim sum is worth it by itself), but not have to always deal with the traffic. Plan your trips town opposite the other people....go INTO town on holidays when most are headed out.

Yeah, I’m probably going to fly for the airlines and being within 2 hours provides opportunities for on-call flying, hence the need for a 2 hour radius. Northern Utah and Southern Idaho are also on the short list. I’m trying to visit all the potential places and see what we think of them.

I’m retiring from the military in 2 years and my wife and I are trying to figure out where to go. Options are anywhere within a 2 hour driving radius of SLC, Denver, Phoenix, or Seattle airports. I’m familiar with the first 3, but I’ve never been to Washington. I don’t want anything to do with Seattle, and I’d like to be on the east side of the Cascades for the weather (my wife is solar powered). Yakima might be a bit far, based on the drive to SEA-TAC. What is the area like? How are the people? What kind of recreation is there for hunting and fishing? What else is there beyond hunting and fishing (Skiing, biking, etc)? What other sage words do you have for someone who is considering moving there? Appreciate any thoughts you have on the area. Cheers

Spokane has a decent sized airport.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

How is the hunting and fishing, good and bad?

Vandy321

WKR
Yeah, I’m probably going to fly for the airlines and being within 2 hours provides opportunities for on-call flying, hence the need for a 2 hour radius. Northern Utah and Southern Idaho are also on the short list. I’m trying to visit all the potential places and see what we think of them.

You will have a hell of a time sitting reserve from Cle Elum (anywhere east of the cascades really) even...I looked at it, not exactly feasible with potential traffic. No traffic, its easy. I grew up in West WA and went to UW...the traffic is no joke coming down to Sea-Tac.

If you look at SLC, check out a town called Mtn Green, just east over the front range there. About 20 minutes from Hill.

I'm actually really familiar with all of 4 of these areas, shoot me a PM if ya have questions I can help with.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You will have a hell of a time sitting reserve from Cle Elum (anywhere east of the cascades really) even...I looked at it, not exactly feasible with potential traffic. No traffic, its easy. I grew up in West WA and went to UW...the traffic is no joke coming down to Sea-Tac.

If you look at SLC, check out a town called Mtn Green, just east over the front range there. About 20 minutes from Hill.

I'm actually really familiar with all of 4 of these areas, shoot me a PM if ya have questions I can help with.

That’s good to know- and unfortunate. I’m familiar with Mtn Green, I was stationed at Hill AFB for a couple of years. The back side of the Wastach and north into Pocatello is pretty high on the list. I’m actually taking my wife out there on my way to my Montana elk hunt. We are going to check out the area and see what we think. I flew over Colorado today and every time I look down, I think that moving there is worth the drugs, crazies, and crowds. Getting into the mountains and being two hours from Denver is a challenge, however.

SWOHTR

WKR
Live in Spokane, it’s a 30 min flight from that airport to SeaTac.

You’ll be next to Idaho as well.

Or live in Pullman and be a 45 min flight to SeaTac.

BluMtn

WKR
Sorry to say there is not enough money in the world that would get me to live anywhere on the west side of Washington. I can barely stand to live on the east side anymore. Washington is becoming a cess poll ran by the Dems and their goal is to make this state anti-gun and green. if you like rainbows and ride a bike you are in around Washington. Anything else and you are a detriment to society.

Hoh Down

FNG
I'd focus on the Spokane area as well. Smallish airport, but plenty of daily flights in and out. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities there, plus much closer to Idaho or even Montana.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Right now, I’m only considering being within a 2-hour drive of those 4 airports. Once I get outside of that radius (or need to fly out of small airport), I lose the ability to be on short-call and start being a commuter. That’s a deal breaker. Being on short call means I can be with my family and get paid for it. So far, Utah/S Idaho and Colorado have the best combination of recreation and lifestyle for my family. If I am going to commute, I’ll live in Wyoming and pay no taxes and stay the hell away from the west coast!

BluMtn

WKR
For whats it worth, my BIL was a major airline captain and he lived on the west side of Washington and he was looking for a way to get out of being on that side, Spokane has a nice airport but it has a lot of weather related issues that would effect any type of commuter pilot jumps to a bigger hub. Are you flying for a major, regional, or on call private.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
For whats it worth, my BIL was a major airline captain and he lived on the west side of Washington and he was looking for a way to get out of being on that side, Spokane has a nice airport but it has a lot of weather related issues that would effect any type of commuter pilot jumps to a bigger hub. Are you flying for a major, regional, or on call private.

Major. I’ve heard commuting can be difficult and adds stress. Trying to avoid that for my second career!