Considering selling my Sitka Fanatic jacket for the Heater Body Suit.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says I am looking at selling my Sitka Fanatic jacket and buying a Heater Body Suit.

I hunt 120 acres in Northwest PA and I get cold easily, so I wanted to go with something that would keep me warm to hunt long days through late season. Late season and hunting in the snow is my favorite time to hunt so I think it's a worthy investment. I have a Sitka Fanatic jacket and was looking at getting the Code of Silence Coldfjall bibs, but it occurred to me I could sell my very lightly used Fanatic Jacket and that would cover most of the cost of the Heater Body Suit, and then I wouldn't even have to bother with the bibs.

Either way I would have to pack the items in and put them on in stand. I get sweaty easily and some of the stands I access call for hiking a mile+ in, so I like to dress as lightly as possible when going to the stand.

I am looking for advice from those who have used one or both of the items. Should I sell the Sitka and get the HBS?

*zap*

WKR
first of all never sell any gear that you own because you are replacing it with something different until you know the new gear will work.

second of all they are completely different and you may hate the hbs ^ then see the above rule #1.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I love my HBS, I just wish it were lighter and easier to pack in. I was really hoping that one of the big clothing companies would come out with something similar, only packable.

For me it's kind of like a heated hunting blind. Not nearly as "shootable" as sitting in an open stand, but it keeps you covered and warm.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
first of all never sell any gear that you own because you are replacing it with something different until you know the new gear will work.

second of all they are completely different and you may hate the hbs ^ then see the above rule #1.
A good point. Thanks for the perspective.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've never owned the Sitka gear, but I just spent 10hrs in my body suit. Truck said 3°f when we walked in, and I don't know that it ever hit double digits. I was fairly comfortable all day.

It was work packing it in about 1.5mi, but it was worth it.

H80Hunter

WKR
I’ve been using both this season in Wisconsin. My take is this: I honestly think the Fanatic is just as warm or warmer on the body. However… when I use the fanatic I also use the icebreaker boot blankets on my feet to keep them warm. I have NEVER once been cold in this setup down to -5 wind chills. Carrying in the Fanatic jacket and the boot blankets is honestly more of a pain in the ass than the HBS. Plus, a HUGE upside to the HBS is the ability to zip your head in and be completely removed from the elements. Warm up your face, check your phone in 0 degree weather with fingerless gloves on, etc. Then pop back out ready to focus again.

Both are incredible. I can see uses for both but I’m lucky enough to have both. If all my stuff vanished in a fire tonight, I’d probably buy the HBS and go that direction and make my heaviest set the Sitka Stratus or FL Solitude. The HBS less than 1/2 the price of the Fanatic stuff.

I went through a similar debate. I chose the fanatic set.

The reason being that if I'm wearing a HBS, I get out of it to take the shot and the deer stops wear a shot is not possible, I have to wait outside of the HBS until the deer decides to move again exposed to the cold while lightly dressed and could be shivering which could affect my shot when it finally decides to move. With the Fanatic I am always covered except my hands.

For the hands I use the Sitka fanatic gloves with a pair of wool fingerless over them. In between the pair of gloves on the back of the hands I stick a hand warmer. My hand will get a little cold but won't freeze to the point I can't feel them.