Considering some lightweight rifles...

I see a lot of recommendations for a Fieldcraft, and I don't necessarily disagree, but they are getting increasingly difficult to come by (currently only one listed on Gunbroker and it's a .243), so it may not be your best option. That said, if you're really wanting to purchase a new LW rifle, my recommendation would be a Kimber.

Dhbwa

WKR
Shipped it back in today. Let’s hope for a proper working rifle when I get it back.
There are absolutely no flies on a M70 featherweight in .270.... I think you have a classic rifle for a hunt of a lifetime. Especially since you have good history and confidence with the gun - I'd use it for nostalgia's sake.

If you want a new rifle, by all means get it (I would go for the fieldcraft). But you certainly don't need it! Congrats on the tag and best of luck.

^This otherwise the Fieldcraft with lots of range time^

Spend the money on ammo with your current m70 if it’s a proven shooter. .4 pounds is not worth a new rifle. I would make sure your scope/rings/bases are meeting your needs before a new rifle.

SDHNTR

WKR
Those are great binos for the money, but yeah, I see a bino upgrade as a better use of funds than a new gun.

buy that Fieldcraft!! I’ve got same gun in 30/06. $1400 is a great deal, and there’s no guarantee Barrett is going to start making them again. Mine wears Talley rings and 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX-3i CDS zero-lock. Very light and accurate package.

I drew an Arizona desert bighorn tag and figured that's all the reason I need to justify a new rifle. I've only done one western hunt, and that was a Utah muzzleloader hunt for mule deer. The lightest rifle I have is a Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in 270. It's a great shooter that I'm really confident with and have taken many whitetail at over 300 yds with it. With scope and ammo it weighs about 8.4 lbs. I was thinking it would be great for the sheep hunt, but I like the idea of getting something new and lighter that isn't blued with really nice walnut.

I was looking at the Bergara Premier Mountain rifles. Europtic has some of the version 1.0 rifles on sale for $1600, including a 270 with 22" barrel. At 6.2 lbs it would get my rig below 8lbs, which would be nice. I've found very little owner feedback on these rifles and have never held one, so I'm a little hesitant to go this route.

I've got an opportunity to buy a new Barrett Fieldcraft in 270 with 24" barrel for around $1400. I've read lots of good feedback on this rifle, and with a reported weight of 5.6 lbs, I could get a beefier scope and stay well under 8 lbs. Right now I'm thinking this is the way I want to go. I could also get the Fieldcraft in 308 with 21" barrel, but I'm more of a 270 guy and think it would be perfect for the sheep hunt and future antelope and deer hunts.

Another rifle that got my attention is the Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT. One thing I noticed about this rifle is how much the weight varies based on caliber. Chambered for a Wby mag, the rifle weighs 7.2 lbs. But when chambered in 6.5 CM or the new 6.5 Wby RPM, it's only 5.9 lbs. I found a pair in 6.5 Wby RPM with 24" barrel and 6.5 CM with 22" barrel for just under $1700, which is still in my $ range.

The last rifle I'm considering is the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. This would basically replicate what I currently have but in a synthetic/stainless config that I won't mind beating up. I would shave off about 4 oz with a 6.5 CM or add 2 oz with a 270. This rifle would be the practical choice, so I probably won't do it. I drew a sheep tag and turn 50 this year, so it's time to splurge a little!

I think I've ruled out the Bergara and the Winchester, so I'm probably down to choosing between the Barrett in 270 or the Weatherby in 6.5 CM or 6.5 Wby RPM. It would be great to get some thoughts on these before I hit the purchase button. Thanks.

I purchased the Fieldcraft in 270. Should get it in about a week. Thanks for all the feedback. Now to pick a scope!

Perfect! Great rifle and great caliber! Throw on some light weight Talley’s and a UL Leupold or SWFA, or maybe even a 12 oz. Swaro z3, and you’ll have one of the lightest tack driving/sheep killing machines you’ve ever had in your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
I purchased the Fieldcraft in 270. Should get it in about a week. Thanks for all the feedback. Now to pick a scope!
The new vortex razor hd lh 3-15x42 is a badass scope at 19oz. Has parallax and locking elevation turret capped windage and illuminated. I know it's not the lightest but very good glass and checks a lot of boxes.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice buy on the Fieldcraft, they are nice, and more likely to work without any tinkering (I have not heard of a single one that needed it). I really like my Kimber Montana, but I have had to take a file to the mag box and front action screw.