Considering switching from 270 win to 6.5 PRC or 6.5 CM

aman

FNG
I have a Tikka T3x 270 Win that I've been having a hell of a time trying to develop a load it likes.

Given that high BC bullet selection is very limited for .277 and nearly no high quality brass manufacturers create 270 win cases, I am considering just moving away from this rifle.

I am seriously considering either a 6.5 cm or a 6.5 prc. Primarily for hunting mule deer. Maybe occasional elk until I build up a dedicated elk rifle.

I'll be handloading so component quality availability is a consideration.
6.5 CM has nice low recoil which would be a pleasure to shoot and develop shooting fundamentals.
6.5 PRC has extra velocity but cartridge is still relatively young.

Cubby

WKR
I would say creedmoor just because finding prc brass right now is like looking for a unicorn. I own both rifles my creedmoor is a savage ultralite carbon barrel and the prc a Seekings PH2

Spoonbill

WKR
I have a Tikka T3x 270 Win that I've been having a hell of a time trying to develop a load it likes.

Given that high BC bullet selection is very limited for .277 and nearly no high quality brass manufacturers create 270 win cases, I am considering just moving away from this rifle.

I am seriously considering either a 6.5 cm or a 6.5 prc. Primarily for hunting mule deer. Maybe occasional elk until I build up a dedicated elk rifle.

6.5 CM has nice low recoil which would be a pleasure to shoot and develop shooting fundamentals.
The 6.5 prc and 270 win are within an inch or two of each other out to 500 yards using Hornady ammo for comparison. Something to keep in mind if you only plan to shoot 500 yards and in.
Also not sure where you are looking at brass, but Norma, Federal, Nosler and several others make brass for 270 win. What powder bullet combo are you using for your 270? I have had pretty good luck using 4831sc and 140 gr nosler ballistic tips.

OP
aman

aman

FNG
The 6.5 prc and 270 win are within an inch or two of each other out to 500 yards using Hornady ammo for comparison. Something to keep in mind if you only plan to shoot 500 yards and in.
Also not sure where you are looking at brass, but Norma, Federal, Nosler and several others make brass for 270 win. What powder bullet combo are you using for your 270? I have had pretty good luck using 4831sc and 140 gr nosler ballistic tips.
My max hunting range is 600 yards.

I'm using H4350 powder. Tried Nosler accubonds, Sierra gamekings, Hornady Interlock, and Eldx.

Spoonbill

WKR
My max hunting range is 600 yards.

I'm using H4350 powder. Tried Nosler accubonds, Sierra gamekings, Hornady Interlock, and Eldx.
Ive had good luck with 130gr sierra game kings and 140 nosler ballistic tips using h4831. If you can get your hands on some, it may help with finding a load your gun likes, (easier said than done I know).

WKR
H4831sc is my go to for .270 and I have also had luck with RL26. Possibly your rifle doesn't like H4350.
The 6.5s do have a much better of selection of higher BC bullets, the .277 is starting to get some new bullets but you need a fast twist rate barrel for those.
Have you considered just rebarreling your Tikka into a 6.5-284? Being build on a long action you can match the performance of a 6.5 prc in a standard action. Lapua and Peterson make brass for the caliber along with other manufacturers.

Out of those cartridge options I would buy a 6.5 barrel and have it chambered using the 6.5 prc Alex Wheeler 2 reamer in order to avoid the "clicker" problem. Then have Shaen open up your bolt to magnum bolt face.

But if you are open to options, look at the 7mm Sherman Short magnum. Rich Sherman has Dies and ADG brass. There are multiple companies making Tikka prefits with his cartridges as well. You would still need your bolt face opened to magnum.

mmac

WKR
RL 22 is the ticket for my 270. Both in 130 and 140 gr. Just seems to like it. I don't want to convince you away from the new rifle, but I would keep the 270. Better to have two then one....

JFK

WKR
I’d keep the 270 and find a load it likes. Ballistically, you’d be splitting hairs going to a 6.5…actually the creedmoor is the loser of the bunch out to 500yds or so.

If you aren’t opposed to monos you might try Barnes. I’ve had good luck with H4350 and H100V with Barnes in my 270. Also working on a load that shows promise using 117gr Hammer Hunters and H4350.

I'd go Creed, but skip the neck beard I saw as a prerequisite of owning one in another thread here lately. It may be a little slower, but I doubt any deer would know the difference out to 600. It should be more pleasant to shoot and burn less powder to boot. And H4350 is the most recomend powder for the Creed from what I read, so your set there.

If you choose not to give up on the 270 just yet, 130g Partition over 60g of H4831 has always been accurate for me. Or a 130 TTSX over the same if you want to try a mono. Depending on your chamber 60g might be hot. Work up as always.

Tx270WT

FNG
I agree with above, h4831 works well in the tikka 270. Dad just got a new one we are loading for and it is turning out 1/2 MOA groups with 130gr bullets only draw back with most tikkas is your stuck with/limited on COAL by the box magazine

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I went the opposite direction......from the 6.5 CM to a .270. I've never really thought much about recoil but the CM had way more than I expected with a brake, and the .270 has had way less than I expected from it without a brake. I've been shooting all Barnes bullets in the .270.......the 129gr LRX, 95gr TTSX, and 85gr TSX.

Wrench

WKR
I have yet to see a 270 that doesn't shoot 57-58grs of imr 4831 under a 130 spitzer very well. If it doesn't, it's usually a obvious problem or optics.

Were i gonna roll a different barrel, I'd go 260imp or 6.5-06@8tw.

Cutknife

FNG
I have yet to see a 270 that doesn't shoot 57-58grs of imr 4831 under a 130 spitzer very well. If it doesn't, it's usually a obvious problem or optics.

Were i gonna roll a different barrel, I'd go 260imp or 6.5-06@8tw.
Wow… That’s the same load I came up with for my model 700 270 over thirty years ago, still use it to this day.
As Wrench mentioned this load not only shoots good but it hits things very hard, I’m using 130 gr Nosler BT’s. Don’t get caught up in the BC and heavy bullet craze, the 270 was preforms best accuracy wise and killing wise with 130 gr bullet.

On another note 600 yards is a very long ways, the vast majority factory firearms don’t have enough accuracy to shoot something ethically that far. Good test is to see if your rifle will hold a 1.5 moa group out to 600 yards (9 inches), most won’t. Switch the barrel out to precision barrel…….different story.

Dcrafton

WKR

You will need a man bun for a 6.5CM.
That being said, I can’t grow enough hair to have a man bun and I own a 6.5 CM, great cartridge but I would go with the 6.5 PRC. I HAVE A 25 PRC and a 300 PRC.
The 6.5 PRC is everything the CM is and much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk