CONSIDERING UPGRADING TO 15 X 56

Oregonboy

WKR
I've been carrying around 10x42s for a while and like them well enough, but it's all I've ever carried. A few years ago I switched to Binos on a tripod and haven't looked back since. That said, if all I'm doing is setting my binos on a tripod, then it seems like 15 x 56 would be the way to go. I've got a pocket range finder for looking at critters within 100 yards.

I've been considering new glass for a while and thinking why not just jump up to 15s instead of another pair of 10s, especially since they will sit on a tripod 95% percent of the time.

Anyone make the jump from 10 to 15s recently? Was it noticeably different for you? Worth the extra cost and weight?

Thanks!

JakeSCH

WKR
15's are game changers, but they live in the pack and not on the chest. Going to run NL 12x this year to see if I can get away with a single bino.

WRM

WKR
15's are game changers, but they live in the pack and not on the chest. Going to run NL 12x this year to see if I can get away with a single bino.

Mine ride on my chest and it is the only pair I take for open range spotting.

JakeSCH

WKR
Mine ride on my chest and it is the only pair I take for open range spotting.

Yeah, a few like you use them that way but I consider it to be the exception, not the rule. Basically I wouldn't plan on it being the daily chest bino, but if you can make it work then why not.

On a flip side, I did some side by sides with the 15x and 12x NL this weekend. The better resolution of the 12x makes the difference closer than I expected.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Thanks guys, this helps a lot! I think my goal is to only carry 1 bino and use the rangefinder for close up (100 yrds and under). This thread has me thinking 12x50s might be the way to go instead.

I owned 10x42 els and 15x56 slc hds.
Bothe the newest version of each. Sold them and now run 8x32 els and 12x50 els. Both have outdoorsman studs and both ride in marsupials on my chest as situations dictate which. Fantastic glass.
At times I miss the 15s but there are a specific use binocular and do not ride well in a chest rig. The clarity of the 12x50 els are dam near like using 15s button quite as powerful. That being said the 12s can be handheld for a quick look.
The 8x32 els see 90% of my use and are phenomenal.

TheGDog

WKR
If you compare 10x against 15x. If you do so, make sure both devices are of similar hi grade of optics.

For me I later got some Zeiss Conquest HD 10x (to upgrade some other 10's I was getting warranty replaced), after already getting a Vortex Vulture 15x56. But I'd say the Vultures are like High Mid-Tier. That hi-tier Zeiss made me at first perceive that the 10x was giving me same Magification! It wasn't, but the depth of field was so much richer in the view THAT was the difference that made it seem so.

But yes, scanning an opposing ridge w/ 15's is very quick to do compared w/ a compact spotter. You can notice movement better (or perhaps your brain processes it faster?) when you're looking w/ stereoscopic vision.

FlyGuy

WKR
Try it and see. If you don’t like it you’ve still got 10x to use on your chest. I love my 15x but don’t carry them as a primary. I did once on a bear hunt when I first got them. Handholding them is pretty tough, but if you carry trekking poles you can sit and balance them off of the poles for a quick scan that doesn’t require whipping out your tripod every time. The field of view is also going to be a challenge with only 15x, but in some terrains it might work just fine.

Same with the rangefinders. The FOV is usually pretty tight on those things. Try using it for a day or two as your primary bino and see if you can stick with it. Light gathering might also be an issue depending on what model you have. Seems like most rangefinders don’t put a ton of effort into the image quality; but again that doesn’t mean it won’t work for you.

I’m not in a position to spend the $ this year, but if I was I’d be looking at those NL 12x. Seems like it could be the best combination of features for a guy that really just wants one bino for all situations. It Has a Wide FOV and appears to be decent hand held with that forehead pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I view my 15’s as just another tool in the tool box. They have their place, which for me is on a tripod up nice and high on a ridge where I can glass longer distances. 10’s are going to be a more well rounded optic that can’t be replaced for me personally. It really comes down to personal preference.

JakeSCH

WKR
If you compare 10x against 15x. If you do so, make sure both devices are of similar hi grade of optics.

For me I later got some Zeiss Conquest HD 10x (to upgrade some other 10's I was getting warranty replaced), after already getting a Vortex Vulture 15x56. But I'd say the Vultures are like High Mid-Tier. That hi-tier Zeiss made me at first perceive that the 10x was giving me same Magification! It wasn't, but the depth of field was so much richer in the view THAT was the difference that made it seem so.

But yes, scanning an opposing ridge w/ 15's is very quick to do compared w/ a compact spotter. You can notice movement better (or perhaps your brain processes it faster?) when you're looking w/ stereoscopic vision.

You will have to try alpha glass someday. Imagine the crispest view you have in those conquest all the time at all distances. Incredible resolution without ever having to touch the focus knob.

I am planning to run the 12x NL and the 15x SLC HD this fall to see how much I would miss with just a 12x (if any). My preliminary glassing sessions out to 1500y leads me to believe I won't miss much.

Initially I was thinking Zeiss RF 10x + SLC 15x but man, it would be nice to only carry one set of bins with a small spotter to verify size. I might be crazy hunting with a Zeiss RF at home but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
12x50 is definitely what you're looking for. Much lighter than a 15x56 for chest carry, and much more versatile if it's your only optic.

Also, basically any 10x will have better depth of field than any 15x56. Depth of field is mostly a function of magnification.

And, unfortunately, you still have to focus alpha glass.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
12x50 is definitely what you're looking for. Much lighter than a 15x56 for chest carry, and much more versatile if it's your only optic.

Also, basically any 10x will have better depth of field than any 15x56. Depth of field is mostly a function of magnification.

And, unfortunately, you still have to focus alpha glass.

Yeah i exaggerated a bit on never having to touch the focus knob...but for the most part once you are on a tripod on at your glassing point it has been a set it and forget it from 50y to 2000y. I have not found any mid-tier glass that is comparable.

Also, my experience doesn't agree with depth of fields being mostly a function of magnification. I have 8x and 9x binos with way less depth of field than the 12x swaros. Even in similar glass, I had a pair of 2014 10x42 EL's with a slightly better depth of field than 2015 8.5x42 EL's...running side by side.

Lwing

FNG
15x binos have there place for way out there, maybe not the one bino to do everything, Only way I get rid of my zeiss 15x is to upgrade to swaros. Clip the binos to your shoulder straps of your pack, glass off a monopod/hiking pole.
Glass beside someone with 10x and see who spots more game faster.
The extra weight gave me an excuse to buy titanium rifles.

Trr15

WKR
I recently picked up some 12x ELs and 15x SLCs and I’m struggling to convince myself I don’t need one or the other. I did some side-by-side field testing yesterday and there is enough of a difference that I think I can justify keeping both. The 12x ELs will be chest carried and will get the most use. The 15x will ride in the pack and should pair well with 8x on my chest. I like the idea of having different tools for different jobs.

TheGDog

WKR
Don't see myself using the Vultures any more. You can get a good image, it just doesn't have that depth of field though so if you feel curious you have to wheel the focus knob a lil back and forth to observe in front of and behind the main object you initially focused to.

With the better clarity / depth of field the Zeiss 10's have, I'm thinking I want to role with them, and have a small spotter that's straight-bodied to potentially spot-check here and there. I have the 11-33x50mm Angled Razor but it's tricky to get full magnification with my glasses on. And I don't want to have to fuss with taking my glasses off while in the field, that's a recipe for dropping them.

And as soon as you begin dialing-up magnification you immediately get vignette'ing and darkening of theimage and you have to get your pupil close and closer to the glass. I have to touch my eyeglass onto it's objective glass at by about it's 26x setting. And the image gets a lot darker.

So I'm wondering about either:
The Maven 12-25x56mm straight scope w/ flourite glass... (But I worry I might be let down yearning for more magnification, but I like it's small size factor for in the pack.)
OR...
The Kowa 554 Straight body scope with the Flourite glass for 15-45x-55mm. (But the price tag stings on these a bit)
OR...
A High tier 15x or 18x binos. Such as the SLC or the Mavens that goes to 18x. (Likely snag a 15x SLC fr someone who wants to go NL 42)

OR...
perhaps a used market straight-body 65mm spotting scope. That's hi-tier glass.

But definitely digging on the Zeiss though.

Zeiss RF 10’s and SLC 15’s for me. I like that I can glass for long periods with both. I don’t like looking through a spotter for very long, so I hate carrying something that heavy that I only look through sparingly. I can sit on the 15’s sun up to sun down and enjoy every minute.

With the Zeiss RF’s I can ditch the rangefinder but I’m not sure it really saves me much weight. It is one less thing though.

It’s nice to have two pieces of glass that I can search for and spot animals with and I can do all the judging I need to with the 15’s. I’m not counting rings or looking for trash though.

JakeSCH

WKR
You don't consider the Zeiss Conquest HD to be maybe... low-alpha range of glass? (Honest question as I haven't gotten to look thru any Swaros yet.)

I would say that Zeiss's Victory is their alpha glass, but that their mid tier glass (conquest) is still really good and it would be easy convince yourself to never upgrade it.

That said, I think it would be more beneficial for you to upgrade your 15x or spotter before even thinking about the conquest.