Contact Wearers

Just this summer I became a contact wearer. To be specific, RGP lenses which require daily removal and cleaning/conditioning. I've got a few concerns about them on an upcoming AK hunt, but I think mostly I've got it figured out.

One thing I don't know about is the freezing point of contact lens solutions. There will be plenty of morning temps in the 20s and possibly colder inside the tipi. Anyone with some knowledge or intel on this? Reason to think the solution will freeze or gel?

As long as we're here, I'm interested to hear of any tips or personal strategies from contact wearers r/t longer hunts.

Thanks

I've wondered the same about the solution, but I have yet to have it freeze on me.
No chance you can wear one day disposables for hunting?
I put a small drop of soap on my finger tips and rinse well to take them out. When it's cold in the morning I do the same, but warm and dry my fingers with my stove or wood stove before putting them in.

Trial153

WKR
Bring the pair in eyes and two sets of back ups, shit happens.
An extra case is no weight and worth having a spare.
The solution will freeze however it seems to a lower temp, maybe because the sodium citrate..i don't know.
I slide my case and the small solution bottle under the top of my pad in colder weather and it's always been fine. Thought about putting it in the bottom of my quilt but honestly I roll around to much.

renagde

WKR
I think the solution will freeze if exposed to 20 degree weather all night. I would stick the solution bottle in your sleeping bag with you. Contacts are a pain in the morning, after 10 years of wearing contacts I got Lasik done and haven't looked back.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I need to wear sclera lens or would be legally blind. Three different chemicals to use and daily removal. I always store kit at foot of sleeping bag and so far I have had no freezing problem. Backpacking into camp, I carry in middle of backpack. Keeping clean is the biggest hassle.

I think the solution will freeze if exposed to 20 degree weather all night. I would stick the solution bottle in your sleeping bag with you. Contacts are a pain in the morning, after 10 years of wearing contacts I got Lasik done and haven't looked back.

I'd agree that 20F sounds right. I'd treat them like a battery, put them in the footbox of the sleeping bag.

I wear Biofinity lenses, which you can sleep in. They are a 30 day lens and I’ve had really good experiences with their comfort for longer than 30 days. It is recommended to take them out once a week for cleaning, but I generally leave them in for 2+ weeks. Downside is, occasionally you lose one while you sleep, but most the time they can be salvaged with 24 hours of a solution soak.

Maybe something to try in the future... as far as a daily removal, maybe just throw the case in your sleeping bag? Or, if that’s too uncomfortable, your hunting partner’s sleeping bag?!? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have worn contacts for years and camped and hunted my entire life wearing them. I bring two extra sets, glasses and extra solution.

Get good at changing contacts without mirror. Glasses, mine aren't even up to script, can be a life saver if you get dirt, stick to the eye and your eye gets irritated. Its nice not to have to go 1/2 blind for a day lol

GregB

WKR
I wear contacts that are supposed to be somewhat breathable, Acuvue Oasis I think. I bring a hard eyeglass case with a set of glasses and spare contacts. I just throw a little solution in my eyes in the morning to re moisten the eyes and contacts, I don't take them out or change them. The solution usually has some sodium in it, I haven't had it freeze or gel. I do usually put the solution in my bag because an ice cold drop in my eye in the morning is not pleasant.

I wear RGPs.
My biggest issue is keeping fingers clean enough during a backpack hunt.
I've had the solution gel. Both in the bottle and the case with contacts in.
A couple minutes in hands or bag will thaw but I now keep them in my bag with me and no issues.
I also pack a small mirror in case they slip to a corner of my eye etc.

Agree with what everyone else has said, bring backups, glasses, etc. I’d also add to bring some kind of eye drops. I use the single serve ones. When you’ve been behind glass for hrs, especially with a breeze, it will fry your eyes. The drops really help me out.

Shraggs

WKR
I would think keeping the little case with solution on your body would prevent freezing. I deal with this with insulin. If cold it prevents freezing and if super hot maintains cooler ie body temps.

Couple of my first lite tops have a small zipped pocket that would be perfect for a contact case.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wore RGP's for years and loved the crystal clear 20/15 vision I got from them. I used to keep the contact case inside my base layer bottoms while I slept, and kept the solution bottle in my bag. Ice cold lenses aren't a lot of fun. But at least the RGP's are a heck of a lot easier to deal with than soft lenses. Once you're up and you put them in, you should be good to go.

kda082

WKR
i have the daily wear, wear for a day and toss. I always stash extras in gym bag, desk at work, back pack for hunting, truck. Never seen them freeze but not to say they won't.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had mine freeze solid, just put them in my pocket for the morning and when they were thawed out I put them in. I always have to have some time anyways in order to wake up before I can throw them back in. I use the ones that they say to remove them every day. My old style I had to do this otherwise it killed my eyes. New brand/style I can and have worn them for 3 nights in a row without removing. Which is extremely convenient VS trying to watch myself in a mirror in the dark with a flashlight stuck somewhere.

banishd

FNG
I wear contacts that are supposed to be somewhat breathable, Acuvue Oasis I think. I bring a hard eyeglass case with a set of glasses and spare contacts. I just throw a little solution in my eyes in the morning to re moisten the eyes and contacts, I don't take them out or change them. The solution usually has some sodium in it, I haven't had it freeze or gel. I do usually put the solution in my bag because an ice cold drop in my eye in the morning is not pleasant.
I slept with contacts in on a solo backpack trip once. Ended up damaging my eye and having to leave early due to seeing two sets of crosshairs when looking through my scope. Would recommend to everyone to never sleep with any type of contacts, even if they say you can.

Best of luck with the new lenses Kevin. I'm sure you will figure it out and come back after the season with some tips for us as well.

I have been wearing RGPs for 35 years and really like their durability. In discussions with the eye doc I request the most permeable available and get his opinion on extended wear and sleeping with lenses in. Your eyes are your eyes and may be different so I would ask those questions of your doc.

But in general, I have the same experiences noted above regarding freezing and trying to prevent it. If my lenses are out and in a case then it goes in the mini-ziploc with my water filter and I snuggle with it at nigh or keep it inside a layer during the day. I do not worry about my back up set freezing in my pack because if I need them then I'm in a situation that I can afford 20 minutes to thaw them out.

With that said I usually avoid it by wearing them for 3 or 4 days at a time, sleeping and all. I've learned to take advantage of weathered-in days as opportunities to remove and clean lenses while giving the eyes some breathing time, or mid-day down times in a hunt if my eyes are getting fatigued. If down time is slim then I'll take them out after four days and just plan a few extra minutes to get them in when I wake up. Clean them when you take them out and put them in a clean case with fresh clean solution and morning insertion is quick and smooth. As mentioned above, keeping your fingers clean can be the challenge and is key when you have them out and are handling them.

Take a couple nights and a weekend before your trip and try sleeping with them or wearing them for a couple days. If doc says its OK then you can get a feel for it before hitting the bush. If it works for you it makes for less lens management while out on an adventure.

Best of luck and protect those eyes